• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I'm so sick of Iannetta.

Slightly more pop?????

That's a "slight" underestimation.

Napoli averaged  18hr here while Iannetta has averaged 9. 

Iannetta has always sucked as a catcher, if he is not hitting or walking there is no point to play him. I don't care who we play. I suggested Butera because he is actually on our team and has looked great the two games he played. A catcher who hits less than a pitcher and can't catch is flat out unacceptable. 

Except for that throwing error that led to the winning runs just two games ago, he has been absolutely fantastic.

Slightly more pop?????

That's a "slight" underestimation.

Napoli averaged  18hr here while Iannetta has averaged 9. 

Iannetta has always sucked as a catcher, if he is not hitting or walking there is no point to play him. I don't care who we play. I suggested Butera because he is actually on our team and has looked great the two games he played. A catcher who hits less than a pitcher and can't catch is flat out unacceptable. 

So, if he's not hitting after all of 42 plate appearances, it's time to dump him? Never mind that (again, after 42 plate appearances) his OPS is .416 points below his career average. I'm sure it will stay there all year. Just like Butera is going to have an OPS .290 above his career average (after a whole 5 plate appearances) the entire year.

So, as long as we're playing small sample size theater, that guy with (apparently) all the pop in the world (Napoli), has a .465 OPS.

Napoli always sucked as a catcher, too, which is why he's a first baseman now. If he is not hitting or walking, there is also no need to play him.

So, I guess we should take all of these small sample sizes and assume that if they're not hitting now, that trend will continue.

Might as well assume that with everybody in the Angels' lineup but Trout, Calhoun, and Giavotella.

Iannetta looks like crap at the plate, but so do most of this lineup.  He's not even walking anymore, his ONLY strength in the batters box. 

As someone else offered, choice between 2 catchers, both can't hit, go with the guy who can throw out base stealers and that ain't (and never will be) Iannetta.

So, if he's not hitting after all of 42 plate appearances, it's time to dump him? Never mind that (again, after 42 plate appearances) his OPS is .416 points below his career average. I'm sure it will stay there all year. Just like Butera is going to have an OPS .290 above his career average (after a whole 5 plate appearances) the entire year.

So, as long as we're playing small sample size theater, that guy with (apparently) all the pop in the world (Napoli), has a .465 OPS.

Napoli always sucked as a catcher, too, which is why he's a first baseman now. If he is not hitting or walking, there is also no need to play him.

So, I guess we should take all of these small sample sizes and assume that if they're not hitting now, that trend will continue.

Might as well assume that with everybody in the Angels' lineup but Trout, Calhoun, and Giavotella.

Naps is playing 1st because of a hip issue.

Naps is playing 1st because of a hip issue.

Also because he sucks at catching. The Red Sox initially signed him to play first, before his physical revealed the degenerative hip issue. His last year with the Angels, he played 1B more than he caught. Yeah, somebody had to after Morales went down, but if he was that great a catcher, Scioscia would have found someone else to play first.

geez -- a lot of bagging on Iannetta -- not the best defensive catcher and never was but at the time we got him was better than we had and did ok for us the first year.

His AB's last night looked awful - not sure why he looked so bad.

maybe it's early for him, too..........(but then for catchers, late August rolls around and they say  -- it's been a long season for this guy.........)

I don't know.

Should we have kept Conger?  Not so sure about that, either and Butera had to be replaced Sunday when he was subbing in for Iannetta.........

bring back Mathis?

geez -- a lot of bagging on Iannetta -- not the best defensive catcher and never was but at the time we got him was better than we had and did ok for us the first year.

His AB's last night looked awful - not sure why he looked so bad.

maybe it's early for him, too..........(but then for catchers, late August rolls around and they say  -- it's been a long season for this guy.........)

I don't know.

Should we have kept Conger?  Not so sure about that, either and Butera had to be replaced Sunday when he was subbing in for Iannetta.........

bring back Mathis?

No.

Bench and dump are two different things

Somebody give Iannetta a map, he's lost.

Four things the Angels should have done in Spring Training:

1.  Teach Iannetta how to commit to a swing.

2.  Work on pitcher pick off throws to first base.

3.  Plant dummies at second and third base every time an Angel hitter is at the plate.

4.  Show them a big calendar, and tell them exactly when the first game that counts is on that calendar.

Edited by tomsred

Bench and dump are two different things

Ok, bench him in favor of the guy who has a career OPS of .510.

I really don't understand the seething hate that you and many others have for him. Good catchers who also can hit are not a dime a dozen. Some teams have more than one (Giants), and none of these teams is trading them. So, most teams have a catcher who can hit a little and a (usually) backup catcher who can frame pitches or gun runners down but can't hit for shit.

The catcher is apart of every single pitch. He's bound to make a few "mistakes" every game.  He's not a robot. He's not going to perfectly frame every single pitch.

Selectively picking out bullshit mistakes is as stupid as bitching about richards giving up a few runs.

Edited by Poozy

If anyone thinks this is an anomaly and not a regular occurrence every game I'm convinced they don't watch. I think it was a fangraph article that said last year CI gave away the most strikes. Is a year enough sample size?

And in that same article, they said he's been the one of the best this year, so what's the problem?

The whole point of the article was examining his improved pitch framing this year.

Oh hey look. Iannetta did an amazing job framing that last at bat. They should give him credit for the out!

His fERA is ****ing siiiiiick.

Edited by Poozy