• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I'm so sick of Iannetta.

Scioscia likes catchers who work hard and handle the staff well. The only catcher he hasn't really liked was Napoli. What does that tell us?

He hasn't done a 180 at all in my opinion.

The standard narrative was that Scioscia identified more with Mathis because the Mathis v Napoli situation was analogous to the Scioscia v Piazza situation back in the day.

I'm thrilled. My OP was dead on. I stated CI needed to be benched until he figured it out and essentially that's what happened. We have also learned that we have another pretty good catcher.

get off your high horse and just admit you were wrong. It wont be the end of the world.

get off your high horse and just admit you were wrong. It wont be the end of the world.

In this thread I called for him to be benched not dumped. I used those exact words. He WAS benched and when Perez started stealing his job away it somehow lit a fire under his ass. Not sure what you think I was wrong about. 

the idea that Iannetta "got a fire lit under his ass" by Perez is ludicrous.

I am sure he was just as pissed off by his performance, and working just as hard to get it fixed, before Perez showed up.

You don't get to the major leagues without a pretty intense desire to excel in the first place.

The standard narrative was that Scioscia identified more with Mathis because the Mathis v Napoli situation was analogous to the Scioscia v Piazza situation back in the day.

I never quite got that given MS and Piazza never fought for playing time other than in 1992 when Piazza was just as awful offensively as he was..  

I am sure he was just as pissed off by his performance, and working just as hard to get it fixed, before Perez showed up.

You don't get to the major leagues without a pretty intense desire to excel in the first place.

Jeff, stop bringing up these "facts"! Here on AW, we only deal in hyperbole.

In this thread I called for him to be benched not dumped. I used those exact words. He WAS benched and when Perez started stealing his job away it somehow lit a fire under his ass. Not sure what you think I was wrong about.

Lmao gtfo

You are contradicting not only basic coaching but widely accepted leadership principles. The norm is that competition brings out the best in people. 

You are contradicting not only basic coaching but widely accepted leadership principles. The norm is that competition brings out the best in people. 

Chris Iannetta had absolutely zero competition last year yet had the second best season of his career. So how do you explain that?

You can't accept the fact that maybe it was just a normal slump? 

Just like any player, he's had bad slumps before(Granted not as bad as this year).

2014 September: .507 OPS

2013 July .527 OPS

Why would Iannetta "need a fire lit under his ass" when he's a free agent next year, yet have no issues in 2014? 

Makes more sense that he was trying to do too much because of it being his walk year.

Edited by Poozy

Maybe...and I'm just spitballing here...maybe Iannetta was off to such a horrible start but that it was one so unsustainable that at some point, he was going to once again become Chris Iannetta instead of Jeff Mathis at the plate.

I know, crazy, right?

Edited by Mark68

sports fans are weird. they watch the game daily, but gather so little information from it. it'd be like a person following chess, but never learning the nuances of the game. there is 200 years of recorded history in baseball of slumps varying in size from a single game to an entire season. iannetta and joyce are good players, they had pronounced slumps, at some point the skills will erode and it's the FO job to be able to determine a slump from erosion. the idea that a player is only as good as his current results is shortsighted and, frankly, elementary. i like this site when it elevates the conversation and loathe it when it lowers it. that may just be the way it is, but i don't have to like it.

I don't think that applies when you are talking about people who have already ascended to the top .00001 percent of their field. Basically anyone who needs motivation from anything external would have not made it this far.

This is not like a salesman who knows he can keep his job if he plays Tetris for an hour a day because there is no one else to take his job.

For baseball players, they live every day with the idea that there are hundreds of guys ready to take their job.

Whether Carlos Perez was on the 25 man roster or not, Iannetta has know since the day he was drafted there were hundreds of Carlos Perezes out there.

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

Chris Iannetta had absolutely zero competition last year yet had the second best season of his career. So how do you explain that?

You can't accept the fact that maybe it was just a normal slump? 

Just like any player, he's had bad slumps before(Granted not as bad as this year).

2014 September: .507 OPS

2013 July .527 OPS

Why would Iannetta "need a fire lit under his ass" when he's a free agent next year, yet have no issues in 2014? 

Makes more sense that he was trying to do too much because of it being his walk year.

Guess what, the second best season of his career was still pretty sub par; terrible catching with a high OBP. No point in continuing to argue. I think CI is a pretty bad defensive catcher in all aspects. His only upside to me is the ability to take a walk. Even if he has fully returned to CI career norm I'd still rather have Perez playing. You can like him, that's fine. We both want the Angels to win. We just have different opinions on the correct path. 

I've read this board tearing apart Angel legends like Anderson, Vlad, Erstad, etc. Not sure why you are so defensive about CI. 

Guess what, the second best season of his career was still pretty sub par; terrible catching with a high OBP. No point in continuing to argue. I think CI is a pretty bad defensive catcher in all aspects. His only upside to me is the ability to take a walk. Even if he has fully returned to CI career norm I'd still rather have Perez playing. You can like him, that's fine. We both want the Angels to win. We just have different opinions on the correct path.

I've read this board tearing apart Angel legends like Anderson, Vlad, Erstad, etc. Not sure why you are so defensive about CI.

Iannetta has made huge strides on defense, from calling a game to pitch framing. His pitch framing was among the worst throughout his whole career and now he's currently the best in the AL. He's on pace for an RAA (runs above average) of 26.8, which is top notch. Just so you know how valuable that is, the Astros gave up Tropeano and Perez for Conger's pitch framing abilities. Iannetta still can't throw out a baserunner to save his life, but he's made big improvements on other parts of his defense.

Btw, he's posted an OPS of 1.000 over the past 4 weeks, so if you want the Angels to win like you say then playing CI over Perez right now gives them the best chance to do so.

Edited by SoWhat

Iannetta has made huge strides on defense, from calling a game to pitch framing. His pitch framing was among the worst throughout his whole career and now he's currently the best in the AL. He's on pace for an RAA (runs above average) of 26.8, which is top notch. Just so you know how valuable that is, the Astros gave up Tropeano and Perez for Conger's pitch framing abilities. Iannetta still can't throw out a baserunner to save his life, but he's made big improvements to other parts of his defense. 

Btw, he's posted an OPS of 1.000 over the past 4 weeks, so if you want the Angels to win like you say then playing CI over Perez right now gives them the best chance to do so. 

You assessment of CI is fair and honest. That Houston trade was pretty bizarre considering they really are not playing Conger that much.  

You assessment of CI is fair and honest. That Houston trade was pretty bizarre considering they really are not playing Conger that much.  

Wait so you agree with everything he said? Then what are we arguing about?