• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrew Heaney with a GEM tonight in Triple-A

Chuck

I just got back from the Bees vs River Cats game tonight and Heaney dominated just as his stats for tonight indicate.  He looked smooth effortless. I will say the ump's strike zone seemed a little big, but Heaney had the River Cat (Giant's AAA team) hitters off balance all night.

Another note, it was kinda cool seeing AAA had the pitcher clock as well.  No replay, but the 20 second timer was there.

Heaney absolutely dazzled tonight. But equally as important, Santiago didn't, and this was Heaney's second consecutive impressive start. It can't be long before he's in the rotation.

With him and Newcomb joining Richards, Show and Skaggs or Tropeano, the Angels gave the makings of a rather impressive young staff.

Another on going development, Rutledge still looks bad at SS while Green's hitting and looking better in LF.

there are times in each game where Santiago looks like a stud pitcher...but rarely ever can he sustain it.  the call where he does not get the strike out on the 3rd base ump check swing changes the game...it was horrible.   his stuff looks better this year...we shall see over next few starts for him.    Heaney has the type of pitching where a forgiving strike zone make him a world beater...of course I like it the first few outings for his confidence...but up in the majors that is not happening unless your name is bum or wainwight.   

Pssst....  Green went 1-5 with a K, Rutledge 1-3 with a walk.   Too early to write off one and tout the other's offense.

Did you read the update?  Green was robbed in the gap and flew out 400+ feet away.  He's making better contact than anyone on the Bees roster right now. 

I just hope they don't rush him only to become a tweener. I say AAA at least until the break. Seasoning......

That wouldn't be necessary in the least bit, in fact that'd be entirely counterproductive.  Seasoning isn't the issue at all.  Heaney's ready for the majors and spending an additional 4 months at a level he's already conquered isn't going to prepare him any more than he already is.  

The way AAA works, it's not really a place for players to develop so much, because so many of them already have already taken everything they can from the levelof play in the PCL.  It's more of a place to stash those that aren't on the active roster where they can get their work in until the Angels need them, ie..Green, Rutledge, Krauss, Heaney, Tropeano etc..  Even guys on the current roster took their lumps in AAA far longer than they needed before breaking in with the big league club.  Shoemaker, Navarro, Cowgill, Giavotella...

The only guys that are there because they're in need of further development are younger ones coming up from AA and need refinement like Yarbrough, Kubitza and Bedrock. 

It's understandable why Heaney isn't in the rotation right now.  The Angels went with Santiago, and they won't abandon him after one outing.  But if he's as shaky in two or three more outings and Heaney keeps doing his thing, Hector will be moved, either to the pen, AAA or another team and Heaney will take his spot.  But such a development has less to do with Heaney and more to do with Santiago.  Heaney's ready to roll, he's just waiting for his time. 

His bat doesn't stick in LF. Lets not kid ourselves.

Yes and no.  Yes in that Green's going to make enough contact and record enough XBH to be a solid hitter in the major leagues.  No in that Green's value at positions like LF, DH and 1B would be minimal at best. 

Green needs to be playing 2B, SS, 3B and LF where he can stay sharp as he's able to, while still showing that he can hit the ball.  Then the Angels can either promote him or trade him.  Stashing him in LF isn't the right decision, but they're also between a rock and a hard place, so it isn't wrong either. 

You can't play him at 2B because that's where Yarbrough is and he actually needs the PT there and AB's to make it to the next level.  You can't play Green at 3B because Kubitza's in the same boat as Yarbrough.  That leaves SS, where Rutledge is playing.  Rutledge has been awful there, but there's no indication he can play LF.  In reality, it should be Eric Stamets at SS in AAA right now. 

So because of circumstance, Green is a LF.  But I wouldn't expect it to be so in the majors.  I think he ends up going elsewhere and plays utility infielder and is the first bat off the bench. 

Did you read the update?  Green was robbed in the gap and flew out 400+ feet away.  He's making better contact than anyone on the Bees roster right now. 

I've read you long enough to know you like him....  I also know its been one game.  So a comment like "He's making better contact than anyone on the Bees right now" rings seriously hollow.

Edited by Inside Pitch