• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who is on this T-shirt?

Not sure if this is the appropriate section, but I figured someone must know. It is Dodgers related so I apologize to all the Doyers haters out there. I recognize Orel Hershiser, Tommy Lasorda, and Kirk Gibson. Who is the other guy? I've looked and narrowed it down to a couple of players, but the caricature doesn't really resemble any of them. The shirt is from the '88 season when they won the World Series. A couple of friends and I have been working on this all day and we can't agree on it. Since you are all MLB experts, I figured this would be the place to ask. 

88_Dodgers_TShirt.jpg

You look at the hitting stats for that team and it shouldn't have scratched out 80 wins. Alfredo Griffin batted. 199. Only 3 players were above replacement.

Now look at the pitching and they really didn't need to score much. Hershiser as the ace and two starters pitching at #1 level with two relievers with ERA under 2.

Edited by notti

Also, why is he stepping on what appears to be a David Cone jersey?

because they beat the Mets in the playoffs.

i know this because i went to one game that series.

the first and last game i saw at that stinkhole

There is more to it than that.  David Cone wrote an article for a NY Newspaper that pretty much bashed the Dodgers and even compared one of the Dodgers pitchers to a high school pitcher.  The article came out the morning of Game 2, which was also the game that Cone started.  Of course that didn't go well with the Dodgers and they ended up scoring five runs off him in the first two innings.

because they beat the Mets in the playoffs.

i know this because i went to one game that series.

the first and last game i saw at that stinkhole

Yeah, they beat them in the NLCS. I was just wondering if the player on the shirt had some significant hit in that series against Cone. I remember most of the damage against Cone coming off the bats off Mike Marshall and Mickey Hatcher. 

There is more to it than that.  David Cone wrote an article for a NY Newspaper that pretty much bashed the Dodgers and even compared one of the Dodgers pitchers to a high school pitcher.  The article came out the morning of Game 2, which was also the game that Cone started.  Of course that didn't go well with the Dodgers and they ended up scoring five runs off him in the first two innings.

that's the game i attended

hated both teams

Definitely Ralston Schmidt

Yessir. Ralsty had a strange premonition that he should come out of his first retirement in '88 and help the most helpless team he could find. That happened to be the doggies. Ralsty gave pitching advice to Hershiser and Tim Leary, and a couple of key leadership tips to Gibson, and look at the results.