• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Those with knowledge of the Pacific northwest

This seems to be my time to get unsolicited job offers. This one is in a spot that I had never heard of before the offer - Astoria, Oregon. From what I have picked up so far, on the mouth of the Columbia River, right on the Washington border, about an hour and a half from Portland and about two and half hours from Seattle. Population of about 9,500. Anyone know anything about this area?

We're pretty much the opposite. I grew up in Jacksonville, she in a small town in western Oklahoma. There were about as many people in my senior class as there were in her home town.

Salaries in the south in general suck, so if I went back toward home it would be after retirement. That is if I don't leave the country completely.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I enjoyed living in Oregon (Eugene). I have been to Astoria 3 times, and it is a very nice town, albeit rather small. There are a few forts there that I went to and some nice parks. I remember passing a lot of random museums there, though I never went into one. I believe they have a small brewery and a small winery in the town too. They also have a Rogue Brewery tasting room/restaurant there as well.

The summers/falls in Oregon are fantastic, but I usually got seasonal depression in the Winter because it rained almost every day, forcing you indoors for the most part. Despite all the hipsters, Portland is a pretty fun city, and far cheaper than other cities on the West Coast. It's an amazing town for both food and beer (the annual brewfest there is great). For sports, you will only have the Blazers/Timbers close to you, but if you're willing to drive 3 1/2 hours each way, you can see a certain college football team you could see. Three hours or so to see Seahawks/Mariners.

My sister in law moved up there for that specific reason.

I might be up in the Portland area for Thanksgiving this year. If anyone has any restaurant/brewery tips they would be greatly appreciated.

Literally any of them. I'll second Brandon's suggestion of Upright. Stay on that side of the river to see the smaller places... Lucky Labrador is one. And even though Oregonians turn their nose up at it, most McMenamins are good places for beer, wine, and food.

I wish I had time for more, really. The ones I mentioned I actually went to and could verify.

Now that I think about it, skip Dechuttes unless they have the rare or seasonals....it's built and feels like a BJ's or some beer chain place. Shoot for the hidden gems or low key spots.

Cindercone Red and Fresh Squeezed are two of the best beers, so I disagree. The Deschutes brewery in Bend doesn't have very good food though if you were looking for a place to eat (you could just go to the tasting room in Bend and get free samples). 10 Barrel does have good food, but meh beer and they did just sell out to Anhuesier-Busch. Boneyard RPM IPA is one helluva beer, the brewery itself is small. Crux is really popular but I haven't been to their brewery. I just went to a new one there, but I can't remember the name of it, but it was a very nice atmosphere.

Even though I lived in Eugene, I never got into Ninkasi (preferring Oakshire) and their brewery is nothing special.

Portland has a ton of breweries and pub houses there. 10 Barrell opened a new one right next to Rogue's, and about 2 blocks away from Bridgeport, so that's a nice trifecta. Commons brewery, Hair of the Dog, and Base Camp Brewing are all good options as well. Widmer is the most famous of the Portland breweries, but I think there beer is awful.

Hence why I clearly stated rare or seasonal brews. When I was there for the most part it was their regular stash.

They have a once a year sour I wanted to try.

My post was for him to maybe see what's on tap. There are too many breweries in Portland to go and drink Mirror Pond or Black Butte Porter.

Although the coin throwing basket is pretty sweet.

Hence why I clearly stated rare or seasonal brews. When I was there for the most part it was their regular stash.

They have a once a year sour I wanted to try.

My post was for him to maybe see what's on tap. There are too many breweries in Portland to go and drink Mirror Pond or Black Butte Porter.

Although the coin throwing basket is pretty sweet.

Neither of those are seasonal beers, though I don't know if they actually have Cinder cone available outside of Oregon, as I haven't seen it in Northern California. Fresh Squeezed isn't very difficult to find though, and has become part of their regular stash, being one of their best sellers (behind the two flagships that you mentioned). Cinder cone went away for several years, and boy am I happy to see its return, so I could how you can classify that as rare. 

But as far as actually visiting the brewery, both of those beers will be available and are definitely worth the visit.

Edited by HeavenlyHalos