• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2b competition update

Rutledge - .226/.294/.258.  1 double.  3bb. 8k. in 34pa.  1 error.  7 games at 2b, 3 at ss, 1 at 3b

Featherston - .241/.281/.310. 2bb, 9k. in 34pa. 3 errors.  10 games at SS, 3 at 2b, 3 at 3b. two double, 6rbi, 2sb/2cs

Green - .250/.250/286.  1 double.  0bb 10k. 1cs. 28pa.  2 errors.  3 games at ss, 3 at 2b, 2 at 1b, 1 in lf.  

Giavotella - .280/.357/.600.  1hr, 1 3b, 3 doubles.  28pa.  3bb/4k.  0 errors.  12 games at 2b.  

The guy who is arguably the biggest long shot has been, by far, the most impressive of the four.  He's the least versatile though which could be a problem.  

The other three have actually looked pretty bad.  Fearthston has shown glimpses of being pretty good, but he still looks pretty raw.  

Green and Rutledge have looked lost.  Like competing for a spot has gotten to their heads.  

Sure enough, the games don't matter.  Sure enough, the stats don't count.  

But the process does.  

When you're Jered Weaver, Mike Trout and Albert Pujols or even David Freese, you come to camp to get in your work and get prepared for the season.  You have the luxury of trying some stuff out or going through your normal process and for the most part, the results aren't that big of a deal as long as you are ready to go day one.  

When you are one of four guys competing for a starting job at the major league level, you don't have that luxury.  You have to come to play from day 1.  You have to impress, and you have to perform.  Your results do matter.  

You don't get to prepare for the season like the incumbents.  

It's disconcerting that the two guys who were the biggest favorites for the job have done so poorly whilst knowing that it was critical for them to turn some heads.  

Frankly, I'd give the job to the guy that has brought it and has been head and shoulders better than everyone else.  Sure there is some time left, but it also tells me something about who hit the ground running.  

Right now it would be 

2b - Giavotella

Bench 

Carlos Perez

Cowgill

Featherston

Navarro or Krauss 

I know it will never happen, but how about giving it to the guys that actually got it done while knowing a job was on the line.  

Edited by Dochalo

There's no way Rutledge doesn't make the big league roster is there? I hope he doesn't and we can just chalk it up as a stupid trade then move on. But we gave up a lot to get him and it seems a bit much to relegate him so far in our plans so quickly, even though there's no logical explanation for why he was so far up in our plans.

I think we have to give Featherston every chance to show he can stick so I want him on the roster and I think Giavotella has deserved it. I'd have had Green there too over Navarro but then Krauss is probably now more deserving than both of them.

Rutledge - .226/.294/.258.  1 double.  3bb. 8k. in 34pa.  1 error.  7 games at 2b, 3 at ss, 1 at 3b

Featherston - .241/.281/.310. 2bb, 9k. in 34pa. 3 errors.  10 games at SS, 3 at 2b, 3 at 3b. two double, 6rbi, 2sb/2cs

Green - .250/.250/286.  1 double.  0bb 10k. 1cs. 28pa.  2 errors.  3 games at ss, 3 at 2b, 2 at 1b, 1 in lf.  

Giavotella - .280/.357/.600.  1hr, 1 3b, 3 doubles.  28pa.  3bb/4k.  0 errors.  12 games at 2b.  

The guy who is arguably the biggest long shot has been, by far, the most impressive of the four.  He's the least versatile though which could be a problem.  

The other three have actually looked pretty bad.  Fearthston has shown glimpses of being pretty good, but he still looks pretty raw.  

Green and Rutledge have looked lost.  Like competing for a spot has gotten to their heads.  

Sure enough, the games don't matter.  Sure enough, the stats don't count.  

But the process does.  

When you're Jered Weaver, Mike Trout and Albert Pujols or even David Freese, you come to camp to get in your work and get prepared for the season.  You have the luxury of trying some stuff out or going through your normal process and for the most part, the results aren't that big of a deal as long as you are ready to go day one.  

When you are one of four guys competing for a starting job at the major league level, you don't have that luxury.  You have to come to play from day 1.  You have to impress, and you have to perform.  Your results do matter.  

It's disconcerting that the two guys who were the biggest favorites for the job have done so poorly whilst knowing that it was critical for them to turn some heads.  

Frankly, I'd give the job to the guy that has brought it and has been head and shoulders better than everyone else.  Sure there is some time left, but it also tells me something about who hit the ground running.  

Right now it would be 

2b - Giavotella

Bench 

Carlos Perez

Cowgill

Featherston

Navarro or Krauss 

I know it will never happen, but how about giving it to the guys that actually got it done while knowing a job was on the line.  

It sure sounded like it was Rutledge's job to lose from both Tim Mead and Jerry Dipoto in ST last weekend. I sure hope Scioscia/Dipoto give it to the guy who earns it. 

I haven't seen anything I've liked from Rutledge thus far in ST.  Unfortunately Green hasn't stepped up either. Oh well. 

Rutledge and Green have both looked awful.

Rutledge even more so imo. He doesn't look confident at all. I actually feel kinda bad for him. He was 0-3 again today with a k, popup and a GIDP.

I think the Giants had their ace on the mound. Duh

I like the Giovanni kid ... I believe he get the job. Rutledge will get the utility role to start the season.

Here's how it is going to go down. Since Hamilton is out there's an extra spot on the roster. Green will be sent down, Rutledge will be the default starter with Giavotella and Featherston getting "extended spring training" on the 25-man roster. Sorry, Efren, you're sent back down. Krauss too.

Either Featherston never gets his act together and is let go of, or Rutledge continues to suck and Giavotella takes over, with Rutledge shipped out or sent down. Either way, I think the Angels can hang on to everyone for the time being. If Giavotella is legit, then he'll hit his way to a job. After a couple weeks, one of those three is let go or sent down and Navarro or Krauss comes up.

I have no inside tip, but I don't think Rutledge as the starter is a foregone conclusion. Maybe to start the year, but the best guy will get the job.

Rutledge and Green has options so it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Rutledge - .226/.294/.258. 1 double. 3bb. 8k. in 34pa. 1 error. 7 games at 2b, 3 at ss, 1 at 3b

Featherston - .241/.281/.310. 2bb, 9k. in 34pa. 3 errors. 10 games at SS, 3 at 2b, 3 at 3b. two double, 6rbi, 2sb/2cs

Green - .250/.250/286. 1 double. 0bb 10k. 1cs. 28pa. 2 errors. 3 games at ss, 3 at 2b, 2 at 1b, 1 in lf.

Giavotella - .280/.357/.600. 1hr, 1 3b, 3 doubles. 28pa. 3bb/4k. 0 errors. 12 games at 2b.

The guy who is arguably the biggest long shot has been, by far, the most impressive of the four. He's the least versatile though which could be a problem.

The other three have actually looked pretty bad. Fearthston has shown glimpses of being pretty good, but he still looks pretty raw.

Green and Rutledge have looked lost. Like competing for a spot has gotten to their heads.

Sure enough, the games don't matter. Sure enough, the stats don't count.

But the process does.

When you're Jered Weaver, Mike Trout and Albert Pujols or even David Freese, you come to camp to get in your work and get prepared for the season. You have the luxury of trying some stuff out or going through your normal process and for the most part, the results aren't that big of a deal as long as you are ready to go day one.

When you are one of four guys competing for a starting job at the major league level, you don't have that luxury. You have to come to play from day 1. You have to impress, and you have to perform. Your results do matter.

Frankly, I'd give the job to the guy that has brought it and has been head and shoulders better than everyone else. Sure there is some time left, but it also tells me something about who hit the ground running.

Right now it would be

2b - Giavotella

Bench

Carlos Perez

Cowgill

Featherston

Navarro or Krauss

The way I see it, Rutledge will be handed the job out if ST, but the only way he keeps it is if he hits, which we've seen from Colorado, he can't.

But the real question, will anyone else hit enough for the Angels to swallow their pride and replace him? Green will, we know that but the Angels don't trust his glove. Featherston, they seem more intent on saving him for a backup role.

That leaves Giavotella, and he's hit in ST and AAA, but we don't know if it'll happen in the majors. He hasn't really been given the chance he deserves.

I don't see the Angels getting Utely. It doesn't fit Dipoto's younger, more athletic mantra. Plus, I think the reason the Phillies haven't sold off is because Amaro is demanding the moon and not changing his stance on that.

The Angels don't have the moon to offer.

I think another thing to consider, are the final pen spots. Rasmus being out makes it mostly a battle of Lindstrom and Pestano, but Salas worries me and I'd love to see Snodgress or even Rucinski make the pen. I'm more on the side of letting Rucinski start in Salt Lake and adding another lefty. Let Ramos be the long guy out of the pen. 

Street, Smith, Morin, Lindstrom, Pestano, Snodgress, and Ramos. Rasmus on the mend, Bedrosian and Gott in the minors, Santiago can potentially be moved there. 

During my time down at ST, the guy I didn't think looked too good was Giavotella -- both at the plate and in the field........he may not have made any errors but he didn't seem to be too sharp at 2B in the (very small sample size) games I saw.

I think the Halos want to keep Featherston and will do pretty much whatever they can to keep from having to return him to his prior organization as a Rule 5 player.

It's going to be hard to keep Rutledge and Green off the 25 man roster -- so Green may stick as the back up to Freese (who everyone says and the ST hype is -- Freese is 'better' now and is in better shape - somehow he's in better shape and has gotten 'quicker' -- or should we say less slow both a-foot on the basepaths -- Mr. GiDP last year -- and on D -- I'll see it when I believe it)......Green may not be the best guy for a late inning D replacement for Freese but if we want to keep Rule 5 guy, Green may have to fill that MIF-all around (and some OF) versatile position.

I think Rutledge starts the season as the every day 2B but that may not last and Rutledge may not end the season in a Halos uni.

Giavotella will be asked to take a minor league assignment to SLC and may decline.  That's my take.  Sometimes right, often wrong.

The person who modifies that depth chart isn't working off insider knowledge. Rutledge will open as the starting 2B, won't hit and will find himself in a timeshare before getting denoted to "work some things out".

The Angels may just be waiting it out until Yarbrough's good and ready. It could only be 2/3 months like it was with Cron last year. Or it could be next year. But barring some unforeseen trade, I think Alex Yarbrough's the Angeks starting 2B this time next year.

Outside the realm of possibility, Roberto Baldoquin. What if he breaks camp in A+ or AAA and absolutely tears it up, is hitting like .380 around the all star break. The Angels may decide to move him from SS, promote him and slot him at 2B.

Dipoto seems to like Baldoquin at SS, plus the Angels don't really have any other options to replace Aybar, while they have half a dozen 2B. Plus, it sounds like Dipoto loves "Yarbs" and has him in mind for the long-term. So I think Baldoquin stays at SS.

nikkachez, I think Rucinski starts in AAA. The Angels want him ready to start if need be, even though he's warring with Jose Alvarez for #8 on the depth chart (after Weaver, Wilson, Richards, Shoemaker, Santiago, Heaney, and Tropeano).

Edited by Angelsjunky