• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrew Heaney will be a 5th starter at best.

rafibomb

Another bad performance today. He clearly isn't ready for the big leagues. Oh well. Hopefully this isn't a sign that the Marlins and Dodgers knew something that Dipoto doesn't, otherwise we've been had.

Agreed. Dude needs serious time in AAA. If you can't get guys out in spring, you won't be getting them out in the regular season.

I said before the Angels even acquired him that I wasn't too impressed with his stuff when I watched him pitch last year. He does have a good slider but his fastball is incredibly hittable, especially to RHB, and while he has good control of his arsenal, his command of it sucks. He needs to improve on spotting his pitches better because he doesn't have top level stuff.

Amazing how so many people are jumping off the Heaney wagon.

I still think Heaney will be a number 2 or 3. He just needs to command his fastball better and get more consistent with his off speed pitches. His stuff is good when he's on. He shows a good change up and plus slider, both solid put away pitches. I'm not worried about the command issues either, due to his career 2.4 BB/9 in the minors. Once Heaney makes some refinements in AAA, he'll be fine.

One bad ST for him...it happens, he's young. The reason we've built up our pitching stocks is to be ready for when things like this happen. With Rucinski and Alvarez having good springs, Tropeano being inconsistent but tolerable and Richards not far away, we can cope pretty easily. But hopefully Heaneey and Tropeano go to AAA and perform well from the get go to put pressure on the rotation spots of Santiago and Wilson.

Amazing how so many people are jumping off the Heaney wagon.

I still think Heaney will be a number 2 or 3. He just needs to command his fastball better and get more consistent with his off speed pitches. His stuff is good when he's on. He shows a good change up and plus slider, both solid put away pitches. I'm not worried about the command issues either, due to his career 2.4 BB/9 in the minors. Once Heaney makes some refinements in AAA, he'll be fine.

Not jumping off at all. AS you said, he needs to work on commanding his stuff better and throwing better quality strikes because right now he just throws too many fatty pitches in the zone and hitters tee off on his fastball. May need to throw his slider/change more and dial down the % use on his fastball because he doesn't have great velocity and the pitch is pretty straight.

he has had five starts and lots of work...there is nothing in all that work that would say put him in a big league game at this point.  he only had one walk today so that was not bad.   he angle of ball coming to plate might be an issue with getting some calls as umps are not used to that coming in on a diag flight.  batters still teeing off not good.  salt lake would do wonders for him, maybe 10 starts to a season....unless we get rash of pitcher injuries....not sure how he can be up this year at all.

Not jumping off at all. AS you said, he needs to work on commanding his stuff better and throwing better quality strikes because right now he just throws too many fatty pitches in the zone and hitters tee off on his fastball. May need to throw his slider/change more and dial down the % use on his fastball because he doesn't have great velocity and the pitch is pretty straight.

My post wasn't directed at you. A lot of people who were excited about Heaney the day of the trade are now labeling him a bust or No. 5 going forward based on ST.

I agree with lowering his fastball usage. His slider is a plus pitch when he's on, he's made good hitters like Votto and LaRoche look silly with it, I'm not sure why he doesn't use it more often. His change has evolved into an above average offering, he's thrown some with really good fade and nice amount of sink in a few games this spring. He'll be fine once he works on his fastball command and throws his offspeed pitches more consistently 

Heaney to SLC to work on some things -- he's young -- he can turn this around -- just not ready for prime time yet.

could be part of the rotation later this season and will get another shot at it for next season.

we weren't going to extend HK so trading him this past off-season made sense............Heaney was a top pitching prospect for (as it Miami?) and he pitched as a September call up last year.

this trade could still work for the Angels.

the trade is fine...most gm's and people that follow the game liked the trade.   dodgers not that smart...they have a log jam going and lots of money tied up at second...not that money matters to them.    Johnnyg can do half the job at small fraction of price...he seems a little clutch...and we kinda need it.

Heaney to SLC to work on some things -- he's young -- he can turn this around -- just not ready for prime time yet.

could be part of the rotation later this season and will get another shot at it for next season.

we weren't going to extend HK so trading him this past off-season made sense............Heaney was a top pitching prospect for (as it Miami?) and he pitched as a September call up last year.

this trade could still work for the Angels.

It's interesting that pitcher Michael Wacha is the same age and was picked in 1st round of the same draft but is much more advanced at this point.

Heaney's being plagued by the big inning, but has good stuff and is left handed.

CJ Wilson has been plagued by the big inning, but has good stuff and is left handed.

The only differences? Wilson costs 17 million a year and is 33. Heaney costs the minimum and is 23. They'll both be fine, I think.

well, true, Heaney isn't Wacha -- but he may turn out to be a regular member of the Halos rotation -- if not this year then next year.

Wacha had some learning curve issues -- of course -- Wacha is pitching to the best catcher in baseball.

If he spends the rest of this time 'under club control' as a member of the Halos rotation at any spot even 4 or 5 -- we win the trade or at least break even.

HK is going to be solid for the Dogs this year -- (is this his contract year?)  -- (they may extend him but they have that young Guerrero kid coming up) -- he will play in 155 plus games, get 600 ABs - bat about .285, hit 15-20 HRs and 60-70 ribi's (not sure where they're having hit in the order) and he will play solid D at 2B.

Heaney's being plagued by the big inning, but has good stuff and is left handed.

CJ Wilson has been plagued by the big inning, but has good stuff and is left handed.

The only differences? Wilson costs 17 million a year and is 33. Heaney costs the minimum and is 23. They'll both be fine, I think.

Lol if you think Heaney and CJ are equal and why bring up money.

well, true, Heaney isn't Wacha -- but he may turn out to be a regular member of the Halos rotation -- if not this year then next year.

Wacha had some learning curve issues -- of course -- Wacha is pitching to the best catcher in baseball.

If he spends the rest of this time 'under club control' as a member of the Halos rotation at any spot even 4 or 5 -- we win the trade or at least break even.

HK is going to be solid for the Dogs this year -- (is this his contract year?)  -- (they may extend him but they have that young Guerrero kid coming up) -- he will play in 155 plus games, get 600 ABs - bat about .285, hit 15-20 HRs and 60-70 ribi's (not sure where they're having hit in the order) and he will play solid D at 2B.

I'm curios why anyone would think HK will hit 15-20 HR when he has only done that once in his career.