• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rasmus and Green can't catch a break

Second Base

I think the article made some valid points on both players. I remember a game last year where it was the bottom of the ninth, the opposing team walked two players specifically to get to Grant Green at the bottom of the lineup and strike him out - and he ended up getting a hit and winning the game for the Angels.

And Rasmus clearly proved himself at the end of last season. There may very well be a place for him as a starter. If Hector Santiago is in the same shape he was at the end of last season, I'd prefer to see Santiago in the bullpen and Rasmus starting. On the other hand he's a very valuable long man for the bullpen, especially since there's at least one starter who has the potential to flake out and get pulled early (hi CJ!). It will be interesting to see what they do.

I think all 3 guys vying for the 2B job are going to suck. Just my opinion.

But they have until July 31st to find someone adequate. Someone will be looking to sell a decent 2B at some point, and if we're in the thick of things like we should we could pick him up. Similar situation to the Giants picking up Scutaro in 2012

eeyore-1.gif

Come now, don't be like that. I'm going to offer a different perspective: All three players, not to mention Alex Yarbrough, are going to play well enough to make it a hard decision for Mike to decide who to play. Featherston is going to surprise some and be a plus utility infielder; Rutledge is going to be decent; Green is going to hit.

The real question for me is two-part 1) Whether Featherston impresses enough in Spring Training to keep his roster spot; and if so 2) Which of Rutledge and Green makes the team. While Rutledge seems to have the edge I don't think it is a foregone conclusion.

They outperform others in Spring Training, they'll get their shot. They've done nothing in their past to warrant being given a starting job.

I find this a bizarre post given Rasmus was freaking outstanding in the second half of last season in extremely difficult circumstances.

Grant Green surely looked at the trade for Rutledge - basically a poor man's version of Green who has proven emphatically he isn't very good - and wonder which god he pissed off. Rutledge is bad defensively and conclusively can't hit. Green is similarly bad defensively but has offensive upside. How there's even an argument as to which one of those two is the better option is simply beyond me.

As for Rasmus, there's only two relievers on this team I trust more than him. If his future is in the bullpen he's much more than a long man. In fact he could combine with Morin (and hopefully Bedrosian) to make a very strong back end of the bullpen in a couple of years.

Is there anyone here on the Rutledge bandwagon besides myself? I've have yet to hear anyone here say something positive about our newest Angel.

I don't know about bandwagon, but I've said a few good things about Rutledge. He certainly is a solid pick up for the bench. Watched him closely last year when he stepped in for Tulo. He definitely held his own.   

It couldn't hurt to just stick Green in the lineup and see what he does.   Then if he struggles the first month, experiment over.  

You of all people are willing to watch patiently for a month (April) while the experiment plays out? Ha, I'm thinking NOT! :D  

The problem with Green is that he has no upside at his age. Rutledge is almost three years younger with more ML experience and has upside. I'm sure he was scouted heavily before they traded Diaz to the Rockies.

Talk is cheap ... almost time for ST games! Guess will find out soon enough.

Yeahhh lets not stretch the truth here to fit your "devil's advocate/I'm going to dislike every young player who gains popularity" narrative. Rutledge is less than 2 years younger than Green. He Turns 26 in April. Green doesn't turn 28 until September.

Rutledge has also put up the exact same OPS+ as Green, and he's actually gotten a full-time chance in the majors. Green has yet to be given that chance.

Age has nothing to do with upside. Just ask Calhoun and Shoemaker. Hell even Richards. The fact is, Rutledge has gotten almost 2 full seasons worth of plate appearances to prove that he is a below average hitter and player. Green hasn't even had half a season worth of PA's.

Also, upside again. Green was a first round pick. Rutledge was a 3rd round pick.

Yeahhh lets not stretch the truth here to fit your "devil's advocate/I'm going to dislike every young player who gains popularity" narrative. Rutledge is less than 2 years younger than Green. He Turns 26 in April. Green doesn't turn 28 until September.

Rutledge has also put up the exact same OPS+ as Green, and he's actually gotten a full-time chance in the majors. Green has yet to be given that chance.

Age has nothing to do with upside. Just ask Calhoun and Shoemaker. Hell even Richards. The fact is, Rutledge has gotten almost 2 full seasons worth of plate appearances to prove that he is a below average hitter and player. Green hasn't even had half a season worth of PA's.

Also, upside again. Green was a first round pick. Rutledge was a 3rd round pick.

I have nothing against Green ... I feel for him. It's tough getting as far as he has in baseball. I just don't see him being anything other than a utility player. Angels just don't seem to have the confidence in him like so many here have.

Baseball is a funny game ... maybe he'll get the nod at second and stay there for many years.

Green only had consistent playing time for one month in 2014. That was in May when Freese was injured.

He hit .367/.381/.483 .864 OPS in 20 games(60abs).

The next 3 months. He played a total of 22 games with only 38 at bats. 

unsurprisingly. He struggled. hitting .132/.128/.158.

38 at bats in 3 months......

I believe they sent him down and recalled him every now and then too...

I think the vast majority of fans noticed this last year.  I truly believe, Green will earn that 2B spot and the team will be better for it.

Grant Green is not as great as people here think. I'd like to be proven wrong, though. 

Rasmus only had a few good starts, but I think he's a valuable piece in the bullpen. 

Edited by failos

How good do you believe people think Green is?

I just think he's earned a shot to start, especially over rutledge.

I doubt green will ever amount to much, but he deserves a chance to prove himself.

He should be at the top of the depth chart imo

Edited by Poozy

Green will get his shot -- I think Rutledge wins the job coming out of ST --

not that Rutledge is that great or the 'champ' but as the only guy in the 2B competition who has actually started at 2B at the MLB level, Rutledge gets the 'incumbent' or 'champ' like advantage -- you have to knock out the 'champ' to win the job/ title.

so the competitors can't be 'as good as' Rutledge in ST -- they need to out perform him at the plate and on D in a significant way -- that won't be easy for this group to do.

So Rutledge gets the nod and then may very well play himself out of starting role (and roster spot) by late May.

Green is versatile -- can play 3B, OF - I wouldn't put him at SS but he could play there if really needed to finish up an extra inning game or something -- and perhaps 1B......he has some power and if given some ABs may even show he can hit for a decent average over the longer term.........

I like Green and would like to see him make the 25 man roster.

I hope you're not judging their capabilities on the round they went in. Pujols went 13th. They are for the most part, the same guy, Rutledge having a tad more experience. Rutledge might be better suited for the utility role. Either way, second base appears to be a weak link. We'll see.  

Green could have just caught a break, courtesy of Josh Hamilton.

More likely I think it's probabably C.J. Cron or Collin Cowgill that reap the benefits of Hamilton's mistakes. Joyce will be in LF despite being a poor defender which means DH just opened up for Cron. Or if the decide to go with a more defensive lineup with speed they'll slot Joyce at DH and put Cowgill in LF.

Come to think of it, Trout, Calhoun and Cowgill would make for one if the best defensive OF's in baseball.