• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Which decade had the best music?

Taylor

Which decade had the best music?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which decade had the best music?

90's was the music of my youth, from 8th grade through College. 70's may had better rock, and the 80's may had better New Wave or whatever, but I think the 90's had a really good mix of everything.

Rock bands like: Smashing Pumpkins,  Soundgarden, AIC, Pearl Jam, NIN, RATM, RHCP, Jane's Addiction, Oasis, Offspring, Sublime, and Deftones to rappers like Dr. Dre, TuPac, Biggie, Nas, Wu Tang... just to name a few.  R&B and slow jams were great as well, heck, I even think there was some good country acts out there too.

• 2 months later...

I think a lot of it depends on when you grew up. But reality is there was fantastic music in every decade (Maybe 2000-2010 excluded). In WWII time you had some amazing jazz and blues. In the 50's you had the start of rock and roll. Go find old Lightening Hopkin's records, Fats Waller, original Elvis or Buddy Holly. Just amazing stuff. Sixties and Seventies weren't my thing, but I can see where people who grew up in that era would think so. I "grew up" in the 80's, so obviously I'm drawn to that.

And I would agree with the statement that there is some amazing music out there right now. Not the stuff you heard played on the radio, or mass marketed...but there is some serious talent out there. Bands like Trombone Shorty, Shaky Graves, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Nick Waterhouse, etc. I regularly hear new stuff on channels like The Loft on Sirius that I jot down.

Nice call on Shakey Graves.  Saw him a year ago as part of a Houston Music Festival.  I hadn't really heard of him prior to that.  It was just him with a guitar and a suitcase drum on stage.  Awesome performance.  I've been a fan ever since.

• 7 years later...
On 3/2/2015 at 2:02 PM, Angel Dog and Beer said:

90's was the music of my youth, from 8th grade through College. 70's may had better rock, and the 80's may had better New Wave or whatever, but I think the 90's had a really good mix of everything.

Rock bands like: Smashing Pumpkins,  Soundgarden, AIC, Pearl Jam, NIN, RATM, RHCP, Jane's Addiction, Oasis, Offspring, Sublime, and Deftones to rappers like Dr. Dre, TuPac, Biggie, Nas, Wu Tang... just to name a few.  R&B and slow jams were great as well, heck, I even think there was some good country acts out there too.

That's a good list.

The 20's was actually the turning point in American music. That was the immergence of Jazz in mainstream culture. The blend of jazz, ragtime and blues spawned the Big Band music of 30's and 40's. Jazz with Blues was the underpinnings of Country and Rock and Roll. 

You have nothing musically new and interesting from the 30's on without Jazz and Blues from the 20's. All your other decades are derivatives. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

The 20's was actually the turning point in American music. That was the immergence of Jazz in mainstream culture. The blend of jazz, ragtime and blues spawned the Big Band music of 30's and 40's. Jazz with Blues was the underpinnings of Country and Rock and Roll. 

You have nothing musically new and interesting from the 30's on without Jazz and Blues from the 20's. All your other decades are derivatives. 

That doesn't make it the best.