• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jerry Dipoto #AskDipoto Q&A

Richard

Raw ERA, OPS, anything that isn't park adjusted and then comparing the current numbers to say the OPS averages from 2004.   It's a vastly different game these days.    People have yet to adjust to a league where a .700 OPS is the league average and where AL DHs combine for a .743 OPS.

Oh yea I understand your point now. Agree 100%. I've made that point plenty of times about Trout's "decline" since the entire league is struggling.

Edited by Poozy

Raw ERA, OPS, anything that isn't park adjusted and then comparing the current numbers to say the OPS averages from 2004. It's a vastly different game these days. People have yet to adjust to a league where a .700 OPS is the league average and where AL DHs combine for a .743 OPS.

Thats the main thing. Fans in general dont get this. Fogerting offense briefly, its the same reason pitchers with a mid 3's era today doesnt mean as much as it used to. A decade ago a 3.5 era was like a grienke today.

In terms of hitting, 30 home runs is the 40 home run club of yesterday. Its kind of a headache arguing with casual fans about it, but nerds like us who waste a ton of time on here talking to similar nerds like us should at least take a few minutes to get familiar with advanced stats

Slightly off topic but related. Kershaw is a beast, guy is fun to watch. But i agree fully with that article comparing him to pedro a few years back. For pedro (who i always hated) to do what he di, in that era, and in the al east, is insane. Im sure he was helped by peds, but whatever. So was everyone he took down. But its a good point when it comes to comparing eras.

I love the pitching comments.    With all the injuries pitchers are incurring now, how deep you go on the staff has become very important. 

Oh, and Rasmus, Pestano, and Morin >>>> Salas.    I'm convinced 2014 was a one year thing for Salas, plus he did regress some late in the season.

Although I could see keeping Salas, but as a front end bullpen guy and not for the 7th-8th innings.

Edited by Angel Oracle