• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orioles reject Howie for Wei Yin Chen trade.

ukyah

Howie's value to the Angels is higher than his trade value because we don't have a good backup second baseman to replace him. That and we'd have to split up a very good defensive double play combo (Aybar/Kendrick) to deal him.

the first part of your statement is not true, but the second part is definitely valid.

The Dodgers severely overestimated Howie's value as well. 

I certainly didn't expect 1 year of Howie would net us 6 years of a very good pitching prospect. I still think our defensive 2b situation will be a downgrade for next year but Dipoto made clear that this move was about improving 2016-2019 at the expense of 2015.

I certainly didn't expect 1 year of Howie would net us 6 years of a very good pitching prospect. I still think our defensive 2b situation will be a downgrade for next year but Dipoto made clear that this move was about improving 2016-2019 at the expense of 2015.

i don't think he did.

As I said in the Primer Howie was perfectly capable of pulling a top prospect in trade and he did. As was pointed out there was a very strong likelihood that any acquiring team would be able to offer Howie a Qualifying Offer at the end of next season which brings back an extra value of $5MM-$15MM depening upon your method of valuating a compensatory draft pick. When you add in his scarcity at the 2B position (Kendrick being a much more valuable keystone player than most options) you are left with a lot of value. Enough value in fact to pull a top pitching prospect.