• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How much would kendrick and aybar get on the open market

NrM

I am not so sure I agree the market is out of control. There have been what, three notable signings so far (Martin, Butler and Duke?)? This happens every off-season. Let's see where things stand in a month.

I am guessing if they were free agents today, Aybar and Kendrick would both get somewhere around 4/50.

I am not so sure I agree the market is out of control. There have been what, three notable signings so far (Martin, Butler and Duke?)? This happens every off-season. Let's see where things stand in a month.

I am guessing if they were free agents today, Aybar and Kendrick would both get somewhere around 4/50.

If we're talking the hypothetical of them being FA's this offseason, Kendrick has averaged about 4 WAR over the past four seasons and is solid on both sides of the game.  I'd guess more around 4/60 or 5/70 if someone was desperate.

Aybar is a year younger than Peralta when he signed, and with how thin the SS market is (pretty much Hanley and a bunch of bums) I could see him getting up to 5/70 as well.

The market isn't out of control, it just has more cash than it knows what to do with. Networks are writing blank checks for live sports, it's about the only thing dvr proof at the moment. Baseball has 162 games of live action a year... Huge national contract, local markets are signing massive deals. Cash has to go somewhere.

The market isn't out of control, it just has more cash than it knows what to do with. Networks are writing blank checks for live sports, it's about the only thing dvr proof at the moment. Baseball has 162 games of live action a year... Huge national contract, local markets are signing massive deals. Cash has to go somewhere.

That doesn't mean the market isn't out of control though.

I don't understand how 2-4 WAR players are suddenly worth 80-100 million.

Or 30 million for a 1 WAR player in Butler's case.

There's got to be a tipping point sooner or later. 

Edited by Poozy

There isn't a salary cap...but there's supposedly a salary floor. That money has to go somewhere. If the industry has a few extra hundred million to throw around, the cost of a Win goes up. You also have teams locking up younger players so you have less quality reaching the FA market. That doesn't mean teams have less to spend on FA, it still gets spent, just not on non existent top flight free agents.

There isn't a salary cap...but there's supposedly a salary floor. That money has to go somewhere. If the industry has a few extra hundred million to throw around, the cost of a Win goes up. You also have teams locking up younger players so you have less quality reaching the FA market. That doesn't mean teams have less to spend on FA, it still gets spent, just not on non existent top flight free agents.

people are rapidly dropping cable. Sports fans arent going to stick around forever. I give it 10 more years max.

The MLB should be preparing for it's future instead of caving to the cable companies. 

It will end up biting them in the ass.

Edited by Poozy

people are rapidly dropping cable. Sports fans arent going to stick around forever. I give it 10 more years max.

The MLB should be looking at it's future instead of caving in to the cable companies. 

It will end up biting them in the ass.

How is it MLB is caving to cable companies? Accepting the hundreds of millions of dollars networks are giving them?

How is it MLB is caving to cable companies? Accepting the hundreds of millions of dollars networks are giving them?

mlb blackouts

They are doing nothing but alienating cord cutters. Many of these fans wont come back when the MLB inevitably decides to end the blackouts.

Edited by Poozy

Great point.

Ive said it before, the end of the steroid era made players more expensive. Guys dont play as long, and there are less that become superstars. The ripple effect is (like you said) teams lock young guys up quicker so they avoid not being able to replace them in a market that no longer has 10 big names every year.

Arod and manny were the first mega deals, and they changed deals for franchise players. Up to that point, big named guys signed for less years, so there were more hitting the market each year. And it benefitted the playwrs to sign shorter deals, because with steroids they were playing longer, and each year that guys got more expensive, it upped wveryones proce a year or two later.