• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gas Prices

NJHalo

Oil is at the lowest price in six years, but gas here in California is most certainly not.

It should be at least a dollar lower than it is.

I can't remember the last time I paid $2.45 for gas, but I'm guessing it was more than six years ago. Checking the historical average, the last time it was this low was almost 10 years ago.

Do some research.

http://energyalmanac.ca.gov/gasoline/gasoline_cpi_adjusted.html

Edited by Glen

I can't remember the last time I paid $2.45 for gas, but I'm guessing it was more than six years ago. Checking the historical average, the last time it was this low was almost 10 years ago.

Do some research.

http://energyalmanac.ca.gov/gasoline/gasoline_cpi_adjusted.html

In December of 2008 you paid about $1.70 a gallon, and oil was priced at $41. Even accounting for inflation, it was significantly less than what we're paying now.

http://www.losangelesgasprices.com/retail_price_chart.aspx

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=RWTC&f=M

In December of 2008 you paid about $1.70 a gallon, and oil was priced at $41. Even accounting for inflation, it was significantly less than what we're paying now.

http://www.losangelesgasprices.com/retail_price_chart.aspx

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=RWTC&f=M

Seven years ago, and it was only for a very short time.

Speaking of research, Glen, if you could find out how much we're paying for the new "Cap and trade" tax under AB 32, I would be indebted to you. It seems to be well hidden.

By the way, the state calls it a "compliance cost", not a tax, and "fuel providers may incorporate costs of complying with the Program into the prices for the fuels they sell."

CA tax is $0.42 per gallon.  Here in WI it is .32.

What is interesting is Iowa has the same tax as WI but gas there is like 25 cents cheaper.  I think a lot of it has to do with where it comes from.  Since CA has a bunch of refineries that are shut down a lot of the fuel is probably coming from elsewhere.

GasTax-01.png

Edited by nate

Thanks for that, Nate.

But I don't think that includes the new cap-and-trade cost. They're not calling it a tax, but a "compliance cost" which individual companies can choose to pass on to their customers. I think the cost would vary among the different oil companies, depending on how well they're reducing their emissions to comply with the program. The state charges the companies, and it's up to them to figure out how much to include in the price of gas and other products.

There are estimates that this could eventually add up to $1.50 to the price of a gallon of gas.

You keep mentioning the cap-and-trade tax but you also talk about prices right now.  Yes, there are estimates about how much that will add but when you're referring to current prices it's irrelevant.

Well, the program is in effect and one has to wonder how much of the current cost (if there are any) the companies are adding into the price of gas. My point is there's no way to find out because nobody's releasing that information. We're paying significantly more than other states are. I just want to see the total cost broken down into its individual factors, including any possible costs from cap-and-trade.

Edited by fan_since79

• 3 weeks later...

The price of crude oil is plunging, yet gas prices in southern California are rising very quickly. The cheapest I found yesterday was $2.89. Most stations in Long Beach are charging that identical price, in fact, with a few at $2.99.

Oil just went below $37 for the first time in what seems like forever, but gas is going up, up, up.

Cap-and-trade, anyone??

Seems like all the profit oil companies are raking in, they could keep their facilities in better working order, but again, refineries are the excuse they are using.
Saw this in the local rag from over on the coast..

http://www.times-standard.com/general-news/20151227/californians-see-big-jump-in-gas-prices

Drivers in the Golden State are noticing, and wondering why.

“You can guess the reason why — refineries,” said Allison Mac of Gasbuddy.com in Los Angeles. “There have been some unplanned maintenance issues causing the increase in the past week. We could see prices in California rise a bit more before they fall.”
California’s refinery casualty list runs up and down the state.

• ExxonMobil’s Torrance plant hasn’t recovered from an explosion in February.

• Tesoro’s Carson refinery is plagued by equipment problems — a catalytic cracker used to convert petroleum crude oil into gas broke down Nov. 23, and repairs my take until mid-January.

• Chevron’s El Segundo refinery had the same problem. There’s no estimate when fixes will be made.

Edited by Homebrewer

I honestly believe the left loves this. They love the pain ordinary Americans are feeling at the pump because they want to impose their energy beliefs/policies on everyone, regardless of the cost. And we all know they don't give two shits about the effects of gas prices on business.

phil, with all due respect I don't think the left controls gas prices.  Of course I live in Texas where the left isn't allowed so maybe that is why it is at $1.74.  Now they do produce oil here and in the Gulf so it is cheaper to get it here but at the same time you shouldn't be paying double the price. 

phil, with all due respect I don't think the left controls gas prices. Of course I live in Texas where the left isn't allowed so maybe that is why it is at $1.74. Now they do produce oil here and in the Gulf so it is cheaper to get it here but at the same time you shouldn't be paying double the price.

It's the policies they pass into law Kurt. The stricter emissions standards, the cap-and-trade, the higher per-gallon taxes, etc.

I am not suggesting they are completely in the wrong. Far from it. But I do think their gas policies are generally harmful for the working man and the product of an elitist, arrogant attitude. But then again, we vote them into office, so I guess I have nothing to complain about.