• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Big Papi

Troll Daddy

Nobody outside of Boston gave a damn about the redsox until the interweb and 24/7 sports news cycle made Yankee hating a second job. Remember redsox ownership calling the Yankees the "evil empire"? That was because they could just buy all the best players. If you go back and look at the Yankee teams that had this latest run of World Series appearances half the team was home grown and most of the players were cast off free agents. 1998 forward is the timeframe I mean. Really there was a bidding war for Brossious? Tino Martinez? Paul Oneil? Knob lock? Charlie Hayes? Luis Sojo? Chili Davis? Strawberry? They didn't simply buy the best players they bought players they thought would fit and win.

Now look at the 04 redfux team. Not one of their starting pitchers or starting position players came up through their system. Kevin youkilus is only farm hand that got any playing time and it wasn't much. This team had steroid users and bought players. They were exactly who they claimed the Yankees were but somehow get a pass from everyone. That's one reason I personally can't stand them.

Nobody outside of Boston gave a damn about the redsox until the interweb and 24/7 sports news cycle made Yankee hating a second job. Remember redsox ownership calling the Yankees the "evil empire"? That was because they could just buy all the best players. If you go back and look at the Yankee teams that had this latest run of World Series appearances half the team was home grown and most of the players were cast off free agents. 1998 forward is the timeframe I mean. Really there was a bidding war for Brossious? Tino Martinez? Paul Oneil? Knob lock? Charlie Hayes? Luis Sojo? Chili Davis? Strawberry? They didn't simply buy the best players they bought players they thought would fit and win.

Now look at the 04 redfux team. Not one of their starting pitchers or starting position players came up through their system. Kevin youkilus is only farm hand that got any playing time and it wasn't much. This team had steroid users and bought players. They were exactly who they claimed the Yankees were but somehow get a pass from everyone. That's one reason I personally can't stand them.

I think you exaggerate a bit.

The Red Sox' entire 2004 starting lineup (other than Manny & Damon) were either homegrown, trade acquisitions, or players on the fringes that they had signed. Even Ortiz had been released by the Twins.

As far as their rotation was concerned, yes, Pedro & Schilling had been free agents (Pedro was in his last year), but Arroyo was claimed off waivers, Lowe was acquired (with Varitek) via trade in 1997, Wakefield was signed in 1995 after the Pirates released him.

They had one other key homegrown player: Nomar, who was dealt in the trade in which the Sox acquired Orlando Cabrera and Mientkiewicz.

To say that the Red Sox "bought" their championship any more or less than any other team is disingenuous.

Look again there were no home grown starters on that team

Nomar, before he was traded.

My point was that they had some free agent signings, but some had been well before that year (Pedro & Damon), and some that were picked up off the scrap heaps of other teams (Ortiz, Wakefield), and some that were acquired as prospects and/or rookies (Lowe & Varitek).

The "Evil Empire" comment has to have some historical context. The "Core Four" could not win championships without the Yankees going after the O'Neills, Clemens, Mussinas, Cones, Wells, Boones, etc. The Red Sox had to keep up, which inevitably led to Schilling, Manny, etc.

Jason Varitek came up through the Mariners system but was traded before his first major league at-bat.

Trot Nixon was homegrown and a starter before he got injured.

Most of the starters were cast-offs from other teams or savvy free agent signings or trades.

I'm not sure what your issue is with the 2004 Red Sox, Splint 7438, except for ALDS butthurt.

I look forward to the day that one of the sacred Angels is found to have used steroids so all this one-directional judgement will be forced to turn around.

Brendon Donnelly was included in the Mitchell Report for making a phone call to steroid supplier Radomski in 2004. According to Donnelly no money was exchanged and no product was received.

At the time of the report he was rehabbing after a season with the Red Sox, they declined an option to sign him for a second season.

lol it's the redux in general not just 2004. And I am not against building your team through trades and free agency. I just thought the whole thing dripped of hippocracy based on past statements by Boston and their people. Somehow their title was more pure than those that came before. Plus the media fauning over them made me sick. Did I mention that Ortiz is a cheater?

I totally think nomar juiced. But youre right AJ, he wasnt that great after his boston years. But, when he was in his oeak, he was a beast. Great glove/arm, and killed it with the bat. I remember rumors that we were after him, and i pent hours daydreaming about him and GA hitting 100 doubles between them year after year.

Then we got vlad instead.....