• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia's managing tonight

With CJ, you'll know right away whether he's gonna suck ass or not, so there's that

dude shouldn't even be in the rotation, but Santiago's struggles the last few outings opened the door. Again, Sosh needs to be quick with the trigger. Thsi Royals team does NOT walk...so if CJ is fallin behind and walking guys, get the dude out before the game gets out of hand

Wilson's ERA:

June: 5.97 (1.61 WHIP)

July: 10.13 (2.38 WHIP)

August: 4.94 (1.77 WHIP)

September: 4.76 (1.55 WHIP)

Keep far away from rotation. Far, far away.

I don't know how you bounce back from that kind of performance for 4 months to being a respectable pitcher at this level. I'm sure it's happened before, but I don't like his odds. I'd be shocked if he finished his contract in an Angels uniform at this point

The bunts were fine. You're playing for a run there. The problem is that Hamilton was due up and a lefty was on the mound. Just giving away 2 outs there

if only they had other guys up and not the useless, overpaid LFer

Bunting with a runner on first is never a good idea, IMO. The Aybar one might have been understandable (though I'd still be against it) with a major league hitter behind him. But the Calhoun one was an atrocious idea regardless of the count.

I have two more cents to toss into this.  I'm just sick of hearing about Josh Hamilton.  Now this guy says he's gonna be sore tomorrow and has a headache ? Bro is a professional athlete that has not done shit for the last 3 weeks.  He runs down two fly balls in left field, one of which he dogged the play and cost us a run (I dont care what Mark Langston says about the play) and after that "exertion" he's gonna be sore.  Maybe he should find a new line of work in a call center or something.  God knows he didn't get sore running the base paths tonight.  Im really just sick of the guy and don't want to hear about him until he finally does something that resembles justification for his massive contract.  Josh Hamilton, You ****ing suck.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

The Calhoun one was terrible, indeed. 3-1 count...better off letting him swing/look for a pitch to drive.  If he succeeded, they were just gonna walk Trout anyway. Competley useless

the other ones I didn't mind, the issue was who was on deck. They had Hamilton due up both times vs a LHP. May as well have just given 2 outs away considering how useless that guy is

Hamilton in the lineup.

Freese homers and is promptly removed.

Calhoun bunting on a 3-1 count in the 8th inning against a guy throwing 98 mph heat.

Did I miss anything?

Turn the damn page...

I really don't fault him for putting Hamilton in the lineup, especially with him batting 7th.  I'd feel differently if he put him in the cleanup spot or somewhere else in the MOTO.

I also thought it was a mistake lifting Freese.  He's not Pujols slow, so I didn't think it was good to remove him in a tie game with the way the offense was struggling.

There's really no excuse for having Calhoun bunt there, period.  Your 9-hole hitter gets on to lead off the inning and now you have the top of the order coming up.  That's what every manager hopes for to get a rally started.  Absolutely no reason to give away an out there, especially with one of your better and more patient hitters at the plate.

One other thing that bothered me was when Jepsen kept worrying about the runner on 2B with 2 outs.  I think he stepped off and turned back like 3 times.  I know he got out of the inning, but there's no reason to worry about him at that point.  Who cares if he steals 3rd because he's going to score regardless if there's a base hit.  Those are the situations I'd think that Scioscia, Butch, or Iannetta would go to the mound and tell him to just focus on getting the batter out, but they never did.

The 3-1 Calhoun bunt is seriously one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. The pitcher couldn't throw a damn strike and we're giving them an out. Of course, Calhoun being too stupid to get the bunt down made it infinitely worse, but I've never been more astounded by a managerial call than that.

And a blind squirrel could have told you putting Salas in before Morin or Rasmus was stupid.

In that situation, the only person in the 'pen I wouldn't have taken over Salas was Grilli. And I'm even 50/50 on that one. Salas has been mediocre, sandwiching one ridiculously good month. The good month was the outlier, not the mediocrity.

Should have kept Tossed Salad or Grilled Cheese off the roster and added the also red hot LeBlanc.

The majority of balls were hit hard off of Tossed Salad in that inning!

I swear, some of these veterans are like toys to Scioscia!!!!!!!

Scioscia has no business being a HOF candidate as some have said.

His post-season record is reason enough.

Using washed up veterans like toys is another.

Edited by Angel Oracle

The bunt calls were idiotic.

What I don't get is Scioscia went away from all the things that the Angels were successful with during the season.  The Angels weren't a bunting small ball team.  They scored runs on extra base hits.  Scioscia is still the idiot he has always been.  Had a good year and is well on his way to sabotaging it in the first round.

The bunts were fine. You're playing for a run there. The problem is that Hamilton was due up and a lefty was on the mound. Just giving away 2 outs there

if only they had other guys up and not the useless, overpaid LFer

Your third sentence explains why your first sentence was incorrect.  And as many others have stated, having Calhoun bunt on a 3-1 count was absolutely indefensible.  

All that said, all the middle of the order had to do was get one clutch hit all night, and they failed.  Blame Scioscia for his managing, but save most of the blame for the team not performing.  

The only problem I had with Sosh last night was asking Calhoun to bunt. I, personally, would have put in Morin instead of Salas. But I understand going with experience in that situation.

Bottom line, Angels didn't get key hits when they needed them. No one was on base for both HRs. MOTO went ofer. Aoki got lucky twice which cost the Angels 3 runs.

We win tonight! Fear the Beard!!

He bunted because he was playing for one run late in the game because anyone could see the offense was struggling. I think some of you look at it like the offense struggled because Mike was asking these guys to bunt. Like I said earlier in this thread, I didn't like him having Kole bunt when it got to 3-1.

Hamilton in the lineup.

Freese homers and is promptly removed.

Calhoun bunting on a 3-1 count in the 8th inning against a guy throwing 98 mph heat.

Did I miss anything?

Turn the damn page...

The only problem I had was Calhoun bunting.