• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ray Donovan

Anyone else watching this? What a great show! They are about 2/3 of the way thru season two.

I recorded sunday night's episode, and watched it last night. That was one of the best episodes of any show I have ever seen. Ray's son wants to have a "family" birthday party at the house. Everyone is there, and they all bring their problems with them. After a little bit of drinking, EVERYTHING comes out.

The final scene of a drunken Ray dancing to "Walk this Way" was classic.

Yes, I watch if every week. I agree last weeks episode was just amazing. The episode was also directed by Liev Schreiber. I thought the ending was perfect as well. I'm really enjoying this season. Was kind of worried how it would be since season one was so good. But they've been going strong this season as well and just like last year, Jon Voigt steals every scene he is in.

The POV shots of Ray stumbling around the house drunk were great!

Agree, Jon Voight is a scene stealer. Watching him dance with that look on his face is priceless.

I hope they bring back Hank Azaria. I did not think he could play the part of a D-bag, but he pulled it off. That last scene with him, Ray, Mickey, and the reporter was kind of lame.

Liv has built Ray into quite the character. I think he is almost on the level of Tony Soprano with being multi dimensional. Tough guy/bad ass one minute, family guy the next, business man the next, sexual devient the next, and so on...

Edited by NJHalo

Funny you bring up that scene with the Reporter because I really felt that scene was out of place. It felt like something they threw together at the last minute. Not to mention the story they told her wasn't very believable yet she bought every word. I thought it was just poorly planned out. Nothing against the actors, but more of the writing team.

As for Hank Azaria, he's been a pleasant surprise. I don't really think of him as a guy to do dark dramas like this but I love his character and he's done an excellent job with it.

My girlfriend was a big Sopronos fan and she even brings up how much this show reminds her of that one.

Edited by Chimi

It is a terrific show that keeps getting better. I hate Jon Voight, but he kills it in ever seen. I think he has it written into his contract that he must dance in every episode. That last episode was truly amazing. You knew you were watching a train wreck and just how great Ray was at acting kinda drunk, then watch it progress to him being really drunk, then in the end he is dancing with his son. That last scene where he is dancing with his son, it made the episode. His boy was hurting, it was a rough night, seeing all of his families issues laid out right in front of him, then Ray comes down after giving him his impromptu gift and starts to dance, f'ing incredible. That was one of the better episodes of TV I have seen in quite awhile. This certainly is the golden age of TV right now.

If you guys are liking Ray Donovan you should check out a show on USA called Rush. It reminds me a lot of Ray Donovan. Instead of being a fixer for Hollywood like Ray, he's a Doctor instead who does treatments for the rich and famous who need to have their conditions kept on the down low. It just started about a month ago but I've been enjoying it.

Ray Donovan is fantastic. Well aside from Mickeys flicking talking dolphin. Lol. I love Bunchy too. Such a tortured soul with a huge heart. We have all known someone like Bunchy. I would like to see more developement of the cop character that Abigal is flirting with. I was talking to my brother a couple weeks ago and we both knew reporter lady would be back in the picture.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished the binging.

I'd like it to have some more plot twists, but the show is really good. It comes with the territory, but I absolutely loathe the crazy/emotional/irrational wives and am not too into the relationship arcs. Everyone does a great job on the show, it's well cast. The episodes are really well done, I like the shit Ray can clean up. Oh, and we got Wendell Pierce!

I'm guessing they made that last episode like they were unsure if they were going to have another season?

Yeah, that's what I meant. They wrapped everything up almost too well and the end of that last episode was cookie cutter closing the doors....people saying their goodbyes, boxed office, conclusion of things like Abbey and that cop...plus her peace of mind, etc.

What I'm worried about is the show being a 12 episode season, they may have to spend a couple more episodes to build back up from "closing". They'll need to reintroduce Ray as a fixer somewhere, bring back the team, introduce a new family problem. I don't know if you can keep harping on the Bunch coping arc. I can see the Terry armed robbery case being the focal point that expands and leaves Ray with a bunch to clean up. I'm sure Steven Knight comes back in some form....and that blonde psycho that handcuffed herself will have some issues. Mickey is going to be Mickey and be involved somehow.

Bummed to have to wait a year to see it kick up again.

I can't imagine it would be cancelled. Do they have some other, better show, that has been written sitting on a shelf somewhere? It's cable, if they have another show, just do that show and find a night to put it on.

I think they were unsure with ratings (I have never looked at them), but there was this surge recently of hype.

More Ray involved commercials, more social media chatter and hype, more articles on recap/review sites...and ones that are positive.

I had no intention of watching the show because of a poor initial episode review (the site hasn't come off their stance, but has acknowledged value in the show), but got hit with the hype machine and timing of looking for another show to watch. The recent media blitz helped and was worth the check out.