• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When Wilson returns....

Who goes back down to the minors?

Based on past moves, I'm guessing it's Rasmus despite his solid pitching recently (1 run in past 15.1 innings)? 

The question then becomes, with Thatcher struggling to get lefties out, how long will the Halos go with having him in the pen?

Would they consider DFA'ing him at a certain point if he can't get it done?   Which would then allow Rasmus to return. 

The big five are set of course:  Morin, Grilli, Smith, Jepsen, and Street. 

And once Wilson returns, Santiago likely joins the pen as the utility guy again which would include stepping in as needed for the other starters. 

Or, they could go temporarily with a 13 man staff until the off day on August 11.

Edited by Angel Oracle

The pitching pecking order is pretty well set in both the rotation and the pen. The details will work themselves out as the time arises. I'm more curious what happens when Cowgill and Green are ready to return and how that affects the DH rotation.

That's what I've been wondering. If we ever get entirely healthy again (few teams do), it's an interesting juggling act for the 25-man roster. The eight regular position players + Conger are obviously on it, Cowgill will be too, Navarro seems set and they clearly feel like they need to keep McDonald. Then we'd have to choose between Cron and Green, assuming we're carrying 13 position players, and given the Navarro presence it should probably be Green. Then that only leaves 12 pitching spots for Weaver, Wilson, Richards, Skaggs, Santiago, Shoemaker, Street, Smith, Jepsen, Grilli, Morin, Rasmus and Thatcher. Of course the whole thing gets simpler if Skaggs is out for awhile, then you keep all those other pitchers and just have to choose between Cron and Green. Still, it's a bit of a logjam. If only Green we could be comfortable with Green at shortstop (although we seemingly aren't with him at third either), we could end the whole McDonald thing.

As for DH, once Green gets back I'd be leaning he stays and Cron goes back down to find his groove if it's a choice between the two. Then between Green, Navarro and Cowgill, you'd like to think we're well covered.

Just take their time with Skaggs, the best lefty to come through the system since Chuck Finley.

Santiago's been pitching well enough to handle 3-4 more starts in Skaggs' anticipated DL stint.

Hopefully, once this brutal schedule subsides by next Friday, they can then try to get Thatcher going.

Except for the 2 series with the A's and maybe home series with the Fish, August 8-September 14 does have a bit of a breather to navigate through.

Those Red Sox trades made a few games in that period potentially even easier (2 series with the Red Sox).

Edited by Angel Oracle

That's what I've been wondering. If we ever get entirely healthy again (few teams do), it's an interesting juggling act for the 25-man roster. The eight regular position players + Conger are obviously on it, Cowgill will be too, Navarro seems set and they clearly feel like they need to keep McDonald. Then we'd have to choose between Cron and Green, assuming we're carrying 13 position players, and given the Navarro presence it should probably be Green. Then that only leaves 12 pitching spots for Weaver, Wilson, Richards, Skaggs, Santiago, Shoemaker, Street, Smith, Jepsen, Grilli, Morin, Rasmus and Thatcher. Of course the whole thing gets simpler if Skaggs is out for awhile, then you keep all those other pitchers and just have to choose between Cron and Green. Still, it's a bit of a logjam. If only Green we could be comfortable with Green at shortstop (although we seemingly aren't with him at third either), we could end the whole McDonald thing.

As for DH, once Green gets back I'd be leaning he stays and Cron goes back down to find his groove if it's a choice between the two. Then between Green, Navarro and Cowgill, you'd like to think we're well covered.

I agree with everything you said except for "the whole McDonald thing". That guy has been absolutely nails defensively. Do I want him to start a bunch of games, not really. But he is excellent insurance in case any of the three get hurt. That play last night in extra innings where the ball was called foul was amazing. I don't know if any other player would have had the heads up to go home, much less make an absolute perfect throw. I think if they are going to start McDonald, it should be with a lefty ground ball pitcher on the mound. I am a little surprised that you don't care for him Oz, considering how you have talked about Freese's defense in the past.

I sure hope Wilson is truly ready to come back.

Maybe the break will have helped shake off the bad streak he had prior to going on the DL. The Angels can't afford another month of him sucking to find his groove again.

Certainly not with the recent offensive struggles.

I agree with everything you said except for "the whole McDonald thing". That guy has been absolutely nails defensively. Do I want him to start a bunch of games, not really. But he is excellent insurance in case any of the three get hurt. That play last night in extra innings where the ball was called foul was amazing. I don't know if any other player would have had the heads up to go home, much less make an absolute perfect throw. I think if they are going to start McDonald, it should be with a lefty ground ball pitcher on the mound. I am a little surprised that you don't care for him Oz, considering how you have talked about Freese's defense in the past.

Unfortunately we need to carry McDonald because he's the only remotely talented person in the upper levels of the org who can play both short and third comfortably. I'd love it if we could go with Green or Jimenez or even Field instead, but they all lack ability and experience at one of the two positions. And he's played an important role getting Freese and his "glove" out of the game. But I can only be so tolerant of a player who has a .096/.200/.096 line since April 18 and three hits since the middle of May. I really feel we should be exploring cheap waiver trade options. Infielders who can play good short and third and hit at least at a Mendoza level aren't exactly rare, but we're short one.

I had a terrible feeling this was the CJ Wilson we would get back from the DL. 

And it just might cost the Angels the season.  I have a feeling he's going to suck for the rest of August. 

Four or five more starts, four or five more lopsided losses. That might prove to be the difference. He's just plain awful right now.

Scioscia will keep trotting him out there, because he's a veteran with a big contract.

Who goes back down to the minors?

Based on past moves, I'm guessing it's Rasmus despite his solid pitching recently (1 run in past 15.1 innings)? 

The question then becomes, with Thatcher struggling to get lefties out, how long will the Halos go with having him in the pen?

Would they consider DFA'ing him at a certain point if he can't get it done?   Which would then allow Rasmus to return. 

The big five are set of course:  Morin, Grilli, Smith, Jepsen, and Street. 

And once Wilson returns, Santiago likely joins the pen as the utility guy again which would include stepping in as needed for the other starters. 

Or, they could go temporarily with a 13 man staff until the off day on August 11.

Maybe they should send CJ to the minors. How fortuitous it was to have him hurry back from the DL. Nothing like having a starter (a high priced one at that!) dropping you down by 6 runs in the first inning and a third.