• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

GDT: 6/16/14 Angels @ Indians (No Aybar & Ibanez @ DH)

When has this happened with Green before?

It happened the first time out of Spring Training. His current slump is almost certainly due to the fact that he's frustrated over being sent down to spend the bulk of his playing time in AAA for the 3rd straight season, the latest demotion coming at the expense of a guy batting .140. 

This of course will predictably be used as an excuse to keep him in AAA until September. This seems to be the approach with Green, frustrate him with limited at-bats, then send him down, then wait until he gets down on himself for things out of his control and falls into a slump, and then finally punish him for said slump. 

Which Angels front office person is hiding in the grassy knoll?  

Anyway, I don't know why Ibanez is still here, or who is behind it, but I'm guessing whenever they do finally punt on that experiment Green is the first guy called up.

Weird. As bad as Ibanez is, I'd rather see Ibanez at the plate with the game on the line than Kendrick.

Can we trade Howie yesterday and promote Green?

Absolutely couldn't agree more. It's as if Howies hitting IQ gets chopped in half in crucial situations as all of us have seen for years. As bad as Raul has been he somehow manages to come through in those type of situations. Why not just keep him for pinch hitting spots? That's why I'm a huge advocate of trying to move Kendrick for any pitching Dipoto can muster so Green can play everyday. Is there anyone who would disagree with that move at this point?

It happened the first time out of Spring Training. His current slump is almost certainly due to the fact that he's frustrated over being sent down to spend the bulk of his playing time in AAA for the 3rd straight season, the latest demotion coming at the expense of a guy batting .140.

Absolutely, the man has already proven he can hit and drive in runs at the major league level IMO.

Absolutely couldn't agree more. It's as if Howies hitting IQ gets chopped in half in crucial situations as all of us have seen for years. As bad as Raul has been he somehow manages to come through in those type of situations. Why not just keep him for pinch hitting spots? That's why I'm a huge advocate of trying to move Kendrick for any pitching Dipoto can muster so Green can play everyday. Is there anyone who would disagree with that move at this point?

Because he can't hit at all? For all the lore about Raul being clutch, he's been bad as a PH this year, and somehow even worse than both that and his overall numbers in High Leverage situations.

Howie >>>>>>>>>>>>>Ibanez in every situation imaginable

Slumping Howie >>>>> Ibanez in every situation imaginable

Edited by jshep

Worst trio of 5-6-7 hitters (Kendrick, Freese, and Ibanez) in MLB history?

Meanwhile, Iannetta and his .798 OPS languishes in the #8 spot. 

Rolling eyes at Scioscia

Is there any other MLB manager as slow to move hitters down in the order when they suck for a while?

Edited by Angel Oracle

Look, I'm the first one to agree there is no way that Green should be in AAA and that Ibanez shouldn't be on the roster.  However I don't think there is some pattern and however us fans view Sosh and Dipoto I know they don't want the team or certain players to fail.  That is just silly.

Worst trio of 5-6-7 hitters (Kendrick, Freese, and Ibanez) in MLB history?

Howie is bad.  Right now.  But he isn't bad over the course of the season.  Not to mention he plays circles around Green defensively.  I'm fine if a Kendrick trade nets the Angels something very useful, but trading him for nothing just to get Green into the lineup would be really dumb.  We aren't talking about an all-star here.

Look, I'm the first one to agree there is no way that Green should be in AAA and that Ibanez shouldn't be on the roster.  However I don't think there is some pattern and however us fans view Sosh and Dipoto I know they don't want the team or certain players to fail.  That is just silly.

They seem to be awfully reluctant to admit the fact that certain players ARE failing, which is causing the team to play far below their potential. It's a pattern with Scioscia. Dipoto is relatively new, and he has released players that fit this category before, so I hope he gets something done soon, because it is absolutely time.

They seem to be awfully reluctant to admit the fact that certain players ARE failing, which is causing the team to play far below their potential. It's a pattern with Scioscia. Dipoto is relatively new, and he has released players that fit this category before, so I hope he gets something done soon, because it is absolutely time.

I agree, hope to see it happen with both Ibanez and Freese.  I'd much rather have Green replace Freese than Kendrick.  Of course then Dipoto would have to admit he made two mistakes this off-season.

Because he can't hit at all? For all the lore about Raul being clutch, he's been bad as a PH this year, and somehow even worse than both that and his overall numbers in High Leverage situations.

Howie >>>>>>>>>>>>>Ibanez in every situation imaginable

Slumping Howie >>>>> Ibanez in every situation imaginable

I'm obviously not on the Ibanez bandwagon. What I'm saying is if Scioscia is that insistent in keeping him there are worse pinch hitters that I can think of. He has had success there in the past though granted has been horrible this year. But I happen to agree with Chuck saying he would rather see Raul up than Howie with the game on the line. Maybe it's just a cumulative result of seeing Howie fail so many times throughout his entire career in high pressure, clutch situations. But based on each of their full careers, I still would pick Raul.

I'm obviously not on the Ibanez bandwagon. What I'm saying is if Scioscia is that insistent in keeping him there are worse pinch hitters that I can think of. He has had success there in the past though granted has been horrible this year. But I happen to agree with Chuck saying he would rather see Raul up than Howie with the game on the line. Maybe it's just a cumulative result of seeing Howie fail so many times throughout his entire career in high pressure, clutch situations. But based on each of their full careers, I still would pick Raul.

I have been ready to trade Howie for years, and have said so (and been roundly scorned and chastised for it)

"Can't have all all stars on the team", and other lame quotes come to mind..

Why is it that we have to CHOSE between these two?

There are better hitters in this organization RIGHT NOW!

Trading Howie means we lose nothing and possibly gain someone that can can get someone out.

LOL at those who insist Howie is worth a good starting pitcher...it isn't going to happen. If it was, it would have happened by now.

No way we shouold have to chose between either of them.