• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

GDT: 6/16/14 Angels @ Indians (No Aybar & Ibanez @ DH)

At.least he isn't playing left field, i guess.

How bout freese? He's sucked nearly as bad and he's batting 5th still

Yeah, Freese is pretty damn lucky that Ibanez has been even worse and has been stealing attention that could be directed at him for being awful.

Lol if you really believe Scioscia is thrilled with Ibanez. The only person who wants Ibanez around is the guy who signed him.

We all better hope Ibanez continues to suck.

"Thrilled"? No, probably not.

But I do absolutely believe Scioscia thinks there's still good baseball left in Raul. And he's willing to wait out this "slump" to reap the rewards of that.

And for the record, I believe Dipoto feels the same way. Trying to pin it 100% on Dipoto is just as ridiculous as trying to pin it 100% on Scioscia.

Dipoto is making the shit sandwiches. Scioscia is the one insisting we keep eating them. It's on both of them.

and the GM has control of the roster and is the guy keeping a player with a sub .500 ops.

But Scioscia doesn't have to start him on any given day.

Scioscia doesn't need to reflexively pencil him in as DH (or even worse, outfielder) against righthanders, in spite of the fact that Cron is hitting righties far better this year. He can be available for pinch-hitting or extra-inning replacement, etc.

Edited by fan_since79

.542 is the lowest OPS since 1901 for a designated hitter in the AL playing in at least 100 games.

I don't know who the player is, as Baseball Reference blocks the names of the first ten in the list if you're not a subscriber. But the number is .542.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/season_finder.cgi?type=b#gotresults&as=result_batter&offset=0&sum=0&min_year_season=1901&max_year_season=2014&min_season=1&max_season=-1&min_age=0&max_age=99&is_rookie=&lg_ID=lgAL&lgAL_team=tmAny&lgNL_team=tmAny&lgFL_team=tmAny&lgAA_team=tmAny&lgPL_team=tmAny&lgUA_team=tmAny&lgNA_team=tmAny&isActive=either&isHOF=either&isAllstar=either&bats=any&throws=any&exactness=anymarked&pos_10=1&games_min_max=min&games_prop=50&games_tot=&minpasValS=502&qualifiersSeason=mingames&mingamesValS=100&qualifiersCareer=nomin&minpasValC=3000&mingamesValC=1000&number_matched=1&orderby=onbase_plus_slugging&order_by_asc=1&c1gtlt=eq&c1val=0&c2gtlt=eq&c2val=0&c3gtlt=eq&c3val=0&c4gtlt=eq&c4val=0&c5gtlt=eq&c5val=1.0&location=pob&locationMatch=is&pob=&pod=&pcanada=&pusa=&ajax=1&submitter=1

I paid $2 for a daily subscription so I could see.  Here are the top (bottom?) 10:

1.  Deron Johnson (1972) .542

2. Adam Dunn (2011) .569

3. Ted Simmons (1984) .569

4. Ken Singleton (1984) .575

5. Chris James (1991) .591

6. George Bell (1993) .603

7. Bill Buckner (1988) .616

8. Cesar Tovar (1975) .619

9. Bill Melton (1976) .628

10. Larry Parrish (1988) .629

1984 and 1988 were really bad years for DHs, apparently.

Edited by jsnpritchett

But Scioscia doesn't have to start him on any given day.

Scioscia doesn't need to reflexively pencil him in as DH (or even worse, outfielder) against righthanders, in spite of the fact that Cron is hitting righties far better this year. He can play against left-handers and be available for pinch-hitting or extra-inning replacement, etc.

Your dislike of Sosh has driven you to not being able to see things as they are.    You can't even hold Dipoto responsible for his part of it.

Your dislike of Sosh has driven you to not being able to see things as they are.    You can't even hold Dipoto responsible for his part of it.

Dipoto is partly responsible, but Scioscia can keep him out of the lineup and send a message.

By the way, I corrected my post. I didn't mean to say Ibanez should play against lefties. Brain locked there for a minute.

Dipoto is partly responsible, but Scioscia can keep him out of the lineup and send a message.

By the way, I corrected my post. I didn't mean to say Ibanez should play against lefties. Brain locked there for a minute.

Who would he be sending a message to?   Pretty sure Ibanez knows he sucks at this point.  Say what you will he doesn't seem the sort of guy to not care.

Weird. As bad as Ibanez is, I'd rather see Ibanez at the plate with the game on the line than Kendrick.

Can we trade Howie yesterday and promote Green?

Green's been tanking in AAA of late -- Ibanez level OPS of .438 over his last ten games -- and most of those came in OKC and Colorado.

I paid $2 for a daily subscription so I could see.  Here are the top (bottom?) 10:

1.  Deron Johnson (1972) .542

2. Adam Dunn (2011) .569

3. Ted Simmons (1984) .569

4. Ken Singleton (1984) .575

5. Chris James (1991) .591

6. George Bell (1993) .603

7. Bill Buckner (1988) .616

8. Cesar Tovar (1975) .619

9. Bill Melton (1976) .628

10. Larry Parrish (1988) .629

1984 and 1988 were really bad years for DHs, apparently.

Nice list.

Ibanez will blow that record out of the water if he gets 100 games this year. He's been in 54 already.

Green's been tanking in AAA of late -- Ibanez level OPS of .438 over his last ten games -- and most of those came in OKC and Colorado.

This of course will predictably be used as an excuse to keep him in AAA until September. This seems to be the approach with Green, frustrate him with limited at-bats, then send him down, then wait until he gets down on himself for things out of his control and falls into a slump, and then finally punish him for said slump. 

This of course will predictably be used as an excuse to keep him in AAA until September. This seems to be the approach with Green, frustrate him with limited at-bats, then send him down, then wait until he gets down on himself for things out of his control and falls into a slump, and then finally punish him for said slump. 

When has this happened with Green before?