• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

pinch hitting Ibanez for Cron

Could have lost that game just as easily, and probably should have considering some of Mike's head-scratching moves.

Calhoun's no out sac bunt was another. Kole had never laid down a sac bunt in his career for one, and for another...

It didn't work! All it did was give up an out, open up first base for a walk to a good hitter, and create a DP to end the inning..Again!

Ibanez needs to be cut. I said give him between 150 - 200 PAs to judge him and give him a chance to pick it up. He has gotten worse.

I get not hitting Calhoun there because he could be used as a pinch runner and has some position versatility that you don't want to burn by having him in the DH spot. 

I would have just left Cron in there.

Could have lost that game just as easily, and probably should have considering some of Mike's head-scratching moves.

Calhoun's no out sac bunt was another. Kole had never laid down a sac bunt in his career for one, and for another...

It didn't work! All it did was give up an out, open up first base for a walk to a good hitter, and create a DP to end the inning..Again!

I'm generally a fan of MS but this move was puzzling. Plus he was up 2-0 in the count! Take your chances with a hit, walk or since he's a lefty there is a good chance of hitting behind the runner.

That sac bunt was worse than the PH of Ibanez.

I'm generally a fan of MS but this move was puzzling. Plus he was up 2-0 in the count! Take your chances with a hit, walk or since he's a lefty there is a good chance of hitting behind the runner.

A hit there, even a doinker, puts runners at 1st and 3rd with no outs and then they HAVE to pitch to Hamilton.

Giving up an out on purpose is stupid in that situation. Scioscia can't seem to think 2 batters ahead sometimes.

Didn't he know they would walk Hamilton?

Dumb Dumb Dumb

Mike Scioscia did everything in his power to lose that game last night.  It was one of the worst managed games from any manager this season.  The Angels won last night despite him.  I'm usually on the fence about him, I think some are worse and a handful are better, but if he keeps that crap up the team would be better off without him.  Bunting Calhoun and pinch hitting Ibanez for Cron was either delusional or stupid, either way it doesn't look good for him. 

I didn't mind the bunt there. It put the winning run in scoring position with one out. The DP wasn't optimum but that's on Freese.

It puts the winning run in scoring position with one out... for the dudes batting .218/.307/.282 and .149/.250/.260

Basically anything Calhoun would have done actually swinging the bat besides a DP would have been preferable.

It would have most likely given Hamilton a chance to actually swing the bat before it came down to the Freese/Ibanez Black Hole.

Edited by jshep

I'm no superfan.  I think people around here know that, so take this for what it's worth.  

Many of us get that there is a contingent that don't want MS to be the manager of this team anymore.  Fine.  That's you're opinion and you are welcome to it.  

Maybe you are right.  Maybe not.  But this mattress police bullshit is getting old.  

"HE RIPPED ANOTHER TAG OFF!! GET THE NOOSE!!"

You can grab your pitchforks and torches for every little fart, but take the time to look at his peers in as much detail.  Take the time to review the rest of the game to look at what was done to see how it worked out.  

Let's review:

I didn't love the ibanez for cron move.  It was probably my least favorite thing he did yesterday.  Raul has a flair for the dramatic or at least the reputation for such.  He's left handed and a vet.  I am not defending it, but it wasn't the end of the world.

Calhoun was then available to play 1b or the OF.  He kept the better defender out of the DH role.  You ever think about that?

Cowgill got the start over Calhoun initially.  That worked out pretty well

He gave high leverage looks to Morin and Bedrossian.  Even though Morin gave up the run, they did pretty well.  

In terms of the sac bunt, take a look at run expectancy charts before you pop off.  It didn't change the overall probability of scoring a run and while it took the bat out of hamilton's hands, it made for a lefty/righty matchup with freese.  Again, not exactly the greatest move in my opinion, but a fireable offense?  ok.  

One thing that you are ignoring (of course) is starting Conger vs. a lefty pitcher to catch Santiago.  

By all means though, keep screaming at the top of your lungs.  I am sure that will continue to increase the likelihood that someone will respect your opinion.  

Mike Scioscia did everything in his power to lose that game last night.  It was one of the worst managed games from any manager this season.  The Angels won last night despite him.  I'm usually on the fence about him, I think some are worse and a handful are better, but if he keeps that crap up the team would be better off without him.  Bunting Calhoun and pinch hitting Ibanez for Cron was either delusional or stupid, either way it doesn't look good for him. 

To my knowledge, Scioscia has never admitted a single managerial mistake, and probably never will.

Edited by fan_since79

I'm no superfan.  I think people around here know that, so take this for what it's worth.  

Many of us get that there is a contingent that don't want MS to be the manager of this team anymore.  Fine.  That's you're opinion and you are welcome to it.  

Maybe you are right.  Maybe not.  But this mattress police bullshit is getting old.  

"HE RIPPED ANOTHER TAG OFF!! GET THE NOOSE!!"

You can grab your pitchforks and torches for every little fart, but take the time to look at his peers in as much detail.  Take the time to review the rest of the game to look at what was done to see how it worked out.  

Let's review:

I didn't love the ibanez for cron move.  It was probably my least favorite thing he did yesterday.  Raul has a flair for the dramatic or at least the reputation for such.  He's left handed and a vet.  I am not defending it, but it wasn't the end of the world.

Calhoun was then available to play 1b or the OF.  He kept the better defender out of the DH role.  You ever think about that?

Cowgill got the start over Calhoun initially.  That worked out pretty well

He gave high leverage looks to Morin and Bedrossian.  Even though Morin gave up the run, they did pretty well.  

In terms of the sac bunt, take a look at run expectancy charts before you pop off.  It didn't change the overall probability of scoring a run and while it took the bat out of hamilton's hands, it made for a lefty/righty matchup with freese.  Again, not exactly the greatest move in my opinion, but a fireable offense?  ok.  

One thing that you are ignoring (of course) is starting Conger vs. a lefty pitcher to catch Santiago.  

By all means though, keep screaming at the top of your lungs.  I am sure that will continue to increase the likelihood that someone will respect your opinion.  

Go F*** yourself, Doc

It puts the winning run in scoring position with one out... for the dudes batting .218/.307/.282 and .149/.250/.260

Basically anything Calhoun would have done actually swinging the bat besides a DP would have been preferable.

It would have most likely given Hamilton a chance to actually swing the bat before it came down to the Freese/Ibanez Black Hole.

You mean like popping up or striking out or any number of things that leave Trout at first? When you're playing for one rune to end the game then getting a runner to second is a priority.

I can't believe I am defending Ibanez here, but he had come through in that same situation in April. I know, that was a long time and many terrible at bats ago. But he had done it. MS tried to hit lightning there. Both to win the game and to maybe actually by some miracle get Ibanez going.

That all said, I still hope Ibanez is DFA'd soon.

You mean like popping up or striking out or any number of things that leave Trout at first? When you're playing for one rune to end the game then getting a runner to second is a priority.

I would rather have Hamilton up with Trout at 1st and 1 out, than Freese up with Trout at 2nd and 1 out.

And that's even ignoring the possibility that Calhoun gets a hit/walks.