• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Pujols opens up about struggles

I'm more mad at St Louis than Albert. If only they didn't "offend" him with their initial 5 year offer, none of us would be frustrated with his production or that he's still hitting 3rd. Albert would also be putting up much better number in St Louis as well. Win win for everyone, but Mozeliak had to be cheaky. Why not just put your best offer on the table. ALBERT PUJOLS didn't deserve that at least.

At this point my frustration is more with Scioscia than Pujols.  I believe Albert is trying his best and is frustrated at the lack of results.  Why MS insists on having him locked into the 3 spot in the order, when we have 2 of the best hitters in the game also on the team, is beyond me.

I think Pujols is extremely prideful and that he's probably (thought I have no idea of knowing for sure) reluctant to ask or take help.  I think (again, just my opinion) he is probably a little stunned at his own lack of production and is searching for answers himself.  I also honestly believe that if he continues to be just mediocre, he will retire before the end of his contract.  I think he feels the pressure and is in denial about his declining skills.  He has shown signs of his former self and that's probably puzzling to him - and to the rest of us who want to see him succeed.

I take issue with his batting third in the lineup.  I'd much rather see Trout or Hamilton in that slot right now. 

The amazing thing is the team is doing relatively well despite Pujols' struggles... I can only imagine how well they'd be doing if he upped his game a couple ticks.

I think Pujols is extremely prideful and that he's probably (thought I have no idea of knowing for sure) reluctant to ask or take help.  I think (again, just my opinion) he is probably a little stunned at his own lack of production and is searching for answers himself.  I also honestly believe that if he continues to be just mediocre, he will retire before the end of his contract.  I think he feels the pressure and is in denial about his declining skills.  He has shown signs of his former self and that's probably puzzling to him - and to the rest of us who want to see him succeed.

I take issue with his batting third in the lineup.  I'd much rather see Trout or Hamilton in that slot right now. 

The amazing thing is the team is doing relatively well despite Pujols' struggles... I can only imagine how well they'd be doing if he upped his game a couple ticks.

This might have flown in year 1, but in year 3 he shouldn't still be "stunned".

He isn't making any adjustments, and to me that says, at this point, he's got nothing in mind regarding how to turn it around.

Homebrewer - Pujols finished off his first year as an Angel pretty well.... Last year can be chalked up to injuries... I can see him justifying his first two seasons and now being a little stunned.  Like I said, I think he's in a bit of denial.

Homebrewer - Pujols finished off his first year as an Angel pretty well.... Last year can be chalked up to injuries... I can see him justifying his first two seasons and now being a little stunned.  Like I said, I think he's in a bit of denial.

It's obvious he is in denial. Just read his quotes and statements this season.

The manager he plays for, and the guy who makes out the lineup card is in denial too.

That a lot of denial goin round.

Interesting to look at Clemente's numbers from ages 32–37. He was never a big home-run hitter, but he was incredibly productive in those years. Just an observation.

Albert has had the advantage of modern training facilities and trainers which includes the best nutrition and sports medicine available on the planet. I've always wondered why his knee surgery took so long to heal when Dipoto said it was just a simple clean out procedure. It just seams like its always something with this guy.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/18/sports/la-sp-sn-angels-albert-pujols-20121018

Edited by Hamiltown

I raised speculation about his age in another thread, so I'll leave that alone and toss out a different theory here. 

Do hitters get worn out by the number of cumulative HR's they hit beginning as a kid, not so much their actual age relative to say 40 when most major leaguers retire?  He has 507 HR's during the regular season, another 18 in the postseason, i'm guessing 20-30 during spring training, and who knows, 100-150 in high school/college/minor leagues?

All together that's 650-700 HR's for a guy who, as far as we know, is only 34 and hasn't been using steroids.  How many major leaguers hit that many HR's in their lifetimes?  Not many.  So has the preparation and hard work to make that happen taken its toll and his body is just rapidly wearing down?

i'm not going to read this thread, because i have a pretty good idea of what is going to be in it. i did read the article and there is too much in there for me to pick apart, suffice to say albert has a disconnect between his ego, his history and his reality. the thing that annoyed me the most in the article wasn't any of albert's quotes as those are understandable, it was alden's statement that albert's approach is still like it used to be, which isn't true from what i've seen.