• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Unwritten Canon, Revealed

markb

"If you have 50 career homers, then don't celebrate like [Robinson] Cano or Big Papi or [Alfonso] Soriano. They have 200 homers and more. It comes down to service time. When you have service time, you have certain liberties."

This is....I just.....this is one of the dumbest things I have ever read.

Boston outfielder Jonny Gomes says, "It's like the military situation: The stars on your chest and the stripes on your arms are symbols of something important, something earned. We don't wear them; we have them. The game gives you that, not a person, not a committee. The more you move up the ranks, the less the unwritten rules apply to you."

Oh, so it's like the MILITARY. Good thing they don't take their child's ball and stick game too seriously.

I really enjoyed this article. Two thoughts:

1) I miss having Torii around the clubhouse for great quotes and things.

2) It's great to see CJ evolving into a similar persona and go-to guy for quotes. Having interviewed him several times, he is an interesting character and doesn't hold back.

Overall, I preferred the game when the players policed it themselves. It made more drama and more entertainment. It's like the whole challenge thing--it cuts down on managers getting thrown out and arguing with umps. As a fan, there's real entertainment in that.

I love Trout because he puts his head down and runs when he hits a bomb. In fact, I think he caught himself watching when he hit his walk off and put his head down. You can kind of see it if you watch the highlight.

Having said that, I don't mind guys pimping their home runs. They can do whatever they want. Of I was pitching, I would drill them in the ribs next at bat though. Baseball needs moments like those back

Having said that, I don't mind guys pimping their home runs. They can do whatever they want. Of I was pitching, I would drill them in the ribs next at bat though. Baseball needs moments like those back

If I had ever hit a home run in the majors, I might still be standing at the plate.

The one that irks me is the bunting in a no hitter. If my team is behind I reserve the right to do any and everything to try to score runs. Bunting to a self righteous, piss poor fielding pitcher like Verlander is a good play in any situation.

After Carlos Guillen pimped his home run in that game the way he did Verlander had it coming. F the Tigers this game made me hate that bunch of whiners even more.

John Baker is really funny.

"If that had happened in baseball ... if someone had hit a home run, reached home plate, took a cell phone out of his stirrup and called someone, he wouldn't finish the phone call. There would be balls flying into both dugouts. It would be like a Cuban winter-ball game, with guys running around with bats in their hands. Oh my God, the world would stop spinning on its axis. The ice caps would melt."

John Baker is really funny.

"If that had happened in baseball ... if someone had hit a home run, reached home plate, took a cell phone out of his stirrup and called someone, he wouldn't finish the phone call. There would be balls flying into both dugouts. It would be like a Cuban winter-ball game, with guys running around with bats in their hands. Oh my God, the world would stop spinning on its axis. The ice caps would melt."

I liked Torii hunters comment about how he would be the first person pummeling that player even if he were his own team mate.

The unwritten rule about no hitters is only in effect when there is no chance the other team can mount a comeback or you are down to the last outs in the 9th. Verlander and the Tigers don't seem to get this, they think if you hold a team for 7 innings you get the automatic win. Aybar didn't think so and that is why I like the squirrel.

The best part about Aybar bunting in the 8th inning is Verlander shot himself in the foot blowing the throw to first base for an error. It wasn't even ruled a hit so the no hitter was still in place. The Angels scored two runs that inning on only one hit, a single by Maicer Izturis. Both run were unearned and so Verlander went from no hitter to no nothing all because they couldn't field the ball properly. He also was close to losing the win when in the 9th with one out Wells stole second and was the tying run.

Verlander yelled at Aybar and vowed to hit him the next time they met all for not giving up with 6 outs left in the game. That was 3 years ago and the two have yet to face each other since because of scheduling. They may one day meet again and if Verlander decides to hit him in retaliation I kinda hope Aybar rushes the mound and pounds the big jerk hard to let him know he doesn't give up, ever.

Edited by Eric Notti

Really don't see what most of what you just said there has to do with anything being discussed here.

I don't care whether you're a surefire HOFer or some AAAA guy up for a week, bat flipping on a flyout is gonna look stupid.

And I don't care whether it's your 1st home run or your 601st, if you crush one, you should be able to flip the shit out of that bat.