• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MAY 9 GAMEDAY THREAD - ANGELS @ BLUE JAYS (Efren Navarro in LF)

IR has been a success in every other major sport. The most impressive has been the NHL, which MLB modeled. I'm baffled that they have screwed it up. Time to abort, retrain the NY umps, then try again.

Replay is done fairly well in the NBA - except they still turn the correct call into the incorrect call on occasion. The NFL seems to have made it work with time, but I'm not convinced the sport is any better for it. I hate the delays, and the way they make calls with a plan on fixing it in the replay, but at this point I'm pretty turned off on the entire sport. I don't follow the NHL, so I can't tell you.

The key to making replay work is making it seamless. They need an umpire and a tech guy in the booth, with every replay at his disposal, and in constant direct contact with the umpiring crew. They also need to stop with this strange need to look at every single super super close call. I've had it with all these bang bang plays at first base being reviewed where we realize that the 60 fps that these cameras run at isn't fat enough to catch the difference between the ball int he glove and the foot on the base.

I've had it with all these bang bang plays at first base being reviewed where we realize that the 60 fps that these cameras run at isn't fat enough to catch the difference between the ball int he glove and the foot on the base.

Speak of the devil!

I love how this doesn't get turned over. I'm more apt to believe he was safe at first than the runner safe at the plate.

Replay is done fairly well in the NBA - except they still turn the correct call into the incorrect call on occasion. The NFL seems to have made it work with time, but I'm not convinced the sport is any better for it. I hate the delays, and the way they make calls with a plan on fixing it in the replay, but at this point I'm pretty turned off on the entire sport. I don't follow the NHL, so I can't tell you.

The key to making replay work is making it seamless. They need an umpire and a tech guy in the booth, with every replay at his disposal, and in constant direct contact with the umpiring crew. They also need to stop with this strange need to look at every single super super close call. I've had it with all these bang bang plays at first base being reviewed where we realize that the 60 fps that these cameras run at isn't fat enough to catch the difference between the ball int he glove and the foot on the base.

NHL is very efficient. Keep in mind that most calls are near the net where camera angles are well covered. It doesn't take long for them to reach a decision. If a play is unreviewable, they still contact the broadcast during the game to confirm the controversial call. But as you pointed out with baseball, if the fps isn't fast enough to catch a bang/bang play, it should not be overturned. There needs to be CONCLUSIVE evidence. That is something the MLB umps are having a hard time determining.