• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Another thing to worry about

All kidding aside, the danger is real. One of those big ones hits Orange County, and no more baseball. Or people.

A former astronaut is helping to build an infra-red telescope that will hopefully be launched in 2018 to track near-Earth asteroids by looking at their heat signatures. The project is privately funded and still needs a lot of money to complete. They figure to map 20,000 asteroids in the first year.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Former-astronaut-wants-to-save-the-world-from-asteroids-256273781.html

All kidding aside, the danger is real. One of those big ones hits Orange County, and no more baseball. Or people.

A former astronaut is helping to build an infra-red telescope that will hopefully be launched in 2018 to track near-Earth asteroids by looking at their heat signatures. The project is privately funded and still needs a lot of money to complete. They figure to map 20,000 asteroids in the first year.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Former-astronaut-wants-to-save-the-world-from-asteroids-256273781.html

No sense in worrying about something you can't immediately impact

we actually can

i was watching a documentary about different ways to deal with this very real problem, and IIRC, the best way is to send a small spacecraft/probe to lodge itself in close proximity enough to where, over time, it can alter the asteroid's gravity a tiny little bit, thereby changing its trajectory/orbit enough to miss earth. 

Sure. Assuming that fan_since79 isn't a space engineer or asian, he can't personally impact it. 

I once read a scientific research paper on this.  The conclusion was that its feasible to send a crew of redneck oil drillers on a spaceship to land on the asteroid.  From there, they can drill a hole deep enough to add explosives to blow up the whole damn thing. Frankly, I feel a lot safer knowing this.

I once read a scientific research paper on this.  The conclusion was that its feasible to send a crew of redneck oil drillers on a spaceship to land on the asteroid.  From there, they can drill a hole deep enough to add explosives to blow up the whole damn thing. Frankly, I feel a lot safer knowing this.

Sounds like science fiction. 

i read the same paper. here's a photo that accompanied the article, written by a Mr. Cy Ense and Mr. Army Geddon.

armageddon2.jpg