• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

CJ Cron with a walk off hr

Hit a grand slam tonight. Opportunity may be knocking soon if he keeps this up and the offense needs some added punch

His interview with Fangraphs was really insightful and for me.  He claimed flat out he wasn't trying to pull the ball in any way shape or form, which explained what I was seeing and the main thing I was worried about, a seeming in ability to pull the ball anywhere but in BP..  

IMO, he's a Chili Davis/Don Baylor hitting coach away from taking a step forward. 

Saying it as a good thing or bad thing? I would love to see Cron up here

That's the thing.. Cron has better hand-eye coordination than Trumbo so I don't think we'll see such long slumps from CJ. A good lineup has a balance of on-base and power. The downside to Cron is his place on the field. He's not really a good defender, similar to Trumbo, so he can be easily replaced (production wise - on-base % - not making outs) if you are getting the power from other players. He'll likely rotate with Pujols, in the future, at 1B and DH. Just depends on the makeup you want the offense to have. We'll be a slugging, base to base type of team if the main guys can stay healthy. Much different than the Scioscia Angels we used to know.

That's the thing.. Cron has better hand-eye coordination than Trumbo so I don't think we'll see such long slumps from CJ. A good lineup has a balance of on-base and power. The downside to Cron is his place on the field. He's not really a good defender, similar to Trumbo, so he can be easily replaced (production wise - on-base % - not making outs) if you are getting the power from other players. He'll likely rotate with Pujols, in the future, at 1B and DH. Just depends on the makeup you want the offense to have. We'll be a slugging, base to base type of team if the main guys can stay healthy. Much different than the Scioscia Angels we used to know.

When I interviewed Scioscia during Spring Training, I specifically asked him about Cron. He told me that Cron had made big strides forward in his defense this Spring, which is a good thing. That means he can alternate with Pujols at 1B to give him a day as the DH.

Overall, Cron is a legit 70 on the power scale, maybe a 75. While that is tremendous power, Trumbo rated as a true 80.

I do agree with a previous poster that the tradeoff is that with Cron, we won't see such slumps like we did with Trumbo. Fans will be pleased with what they get from him.

Cron impressed me this spring.  I agree that his interview with fangraphs was very insightful.  It's interesting because looking at his numbers and in particular his peripherals you get a much different story than if you actually watch him.  His approach is much better than you'd think and I feel like he is truly one of the rare where the walks will come as he progresses. 

Cron is going to be one of those guys that SABR geeks hate, but like a Joe Carter or Garret Anderson, at the end of the year he's going to have a ton of RBI's. I'll take a guy batting 4th or 5th who can consistently drive in runs, over some guy who's got a great OPS but can't hit a deep fly ball to the outfield, or a ground ball to the hole, with a man on third and less than two outs to save his life.

Cron is going to be one of those guys that SABR geeks hate, but like a Joe Carter or Garret Anderson, at the end of the year he's going to have a ton of RBI's. I'll take a guy batting 4th or 5th who can consistently drive in runs, over some guy who's got a great OPS but can't hit a deep fly ball to the outfield, or a ground ball to the hole, with a man on third and less than two outs to save his life.

Solid straw man argument.

<sarcasm> Yes, most prospects either are gritty and get the job done are only abstract theoretical assets.</sarcasm>

We knew from the day Cron was drafted that he'd be a major leaguer and that the Angels would be forced to decide between him and Trumbo. I assumed they'd trade Cron because Trumbo is more of a sure thing and is Anaheim native. But his value was high enough to find what the Angels needed.

I can say this, if you don't like CJ, things are about to get worse for you because he's made some adjustments since the second half of last year and is now in an environment where everything he hits will leave they yard. If for some reason the Angels don't promote him, look for a .300 30 HR campaign.

I haven't seen this type of hype for a prospect since Trevor Reckling...

I've actually always been rather down on Cron.   He had put up power numbers but the indicative rates behind them were always somewhat less awe-inspiring if not downright reason for speculation.   I'd read every report about his massive power and then I'd see a guy that wasn't turning on anything ever and then his pull and LD rates argued he was being beat down by pitchers... It made no sense.   The fangraphs interview really made me breathe a little easier, seeing him say that his not pulling the ball was a byproduct of design and not a lack of ability has made me much more optimistic as there are parts of his offensive game that do play well. 

Not saying he's great but he's about as good a breakout candidate as any hitter in the system.    

Edited by Inside Pitch

.300 30 HR season? Many scouts don't even think he's a full time major leaguer.

I think the best case is he hits .270 with about 20-25 HR. Realistically he's a .260ish hitter with about 20 HR pop, which isn't too bad from a DH.

Realistically we just don't know yet. 

I've been reading Baseball America for years and they have failed many times in projecting prospects. I have heard scouts say this and that about a certain prospect, only to have them become the exact opposite, for good or bad. 

Baseball America said Mike Trout's ceiling was that of a Aaron Rowand if all things work out.