• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ok, on March 29th, 2014

I'm ok with Dipoto finishing what he started. If you keep swapping out GMs every three years your club will never have a clear direction. I would extend his contract to be a complete 5 year run then evaluate.

And hanging onto GMs who have shown little reason for confidence because he needs longer to "implement his plan" is how you become the Royals.

I see the otherside as well. I was actually of one the few that said to keep Jerry around and see his three year plan out.....kind of what the pro Jeryy peeps are saying now. I'm cool with that. I find successfull businesses have good continuity and a foundation in place.

I hope he succeeds and stays. I like his vision and thought process, but three years on the gig with poor results for as aggressive as Arte is with the pocket book is just not going to cut it....and I think Jerry knows and agrees. I liked his moves last year as well, but the team needs to win. Especially with this payroll.

It is tough and very challenging having to follow up Reagins errors and working within the confines of an owner that makes some very radical changes, but it's part of the job and why he was brought in.

The problem is also that Sosh isn't easily replaced because of his contract, so he's in a position where if the team faulters he gets hrown under the boss and axed. Although, I think we do well this year and he is extended after.

He's had a nice off-season... IMO his best as GM, but people believed he had great off-seasons the last two years too.   I don't want to be a downer but IMO, based on pure results his winter of 2012 has to be one of the worst off-seasons in Angels history.  

I'll wait til the deadline and see where the team is and what it does at that time.   They don't need to necessarily make the playoffs for me, they just need to show they are actually improving the team and moving us back to where the playoffs are a common thing.  This is the first off-season where his moves mirror his stated beliefs, hopefully it's a sign of things to come.  

I think the farm system will likely be what gets him an extension.

I'm ok with Dipoto finishing what he started. If you keep swapping out GMs every three years your club will never have a clear direction. I would extend his contract to be a complete 5 year run then evaluate.

I've always felt a GM needed four years minimum to make a team his.  While I'd prefer to wait, if the team starts off well and Arte decides to throw him that one year, I'd be okay with it.

And what other response could you have chosen than accusing Chuck of being a mindless lackey? Try staying on topic.

dude, get a sense of humor. it was an obvious joke, and not in any way mean spirited.

the fact that you and i don't like each other has already been clearly established. feel free to revisit the totallity of my comments and get to know how i really feel about the angels and dipoto specifically, rather than the preconceived notions you've assigned to me.

If you're one of the big market teams in LA/New York/Boston/Philly, 2-4 years without results doesn't cut it.

Looking at results while ignoring what factored into them is a moron's play.   If indeed Arte has interfered as much as some here claim then that needs to take that into consideration.  It's also worth noting his first season the Angels won 89 games, hardly a failure.   BTW, wanting to be like Boston and NY is what got the Angels into this mess.  The Angels were better when they didn't cave into their fan-base's demands and became wannabes.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Ok guys. All good. Let's move on.

I'd like to see Dipoto reap the benefits of his labor this year and years thereafter. He's a smart cat and has a great gameplan, statistical. Unfortunately Weaver, Vargas got hurt last year and Blanton & Hanson couldn't give us a 4.20-4.50 ERA like he thought they would.

Didn't help that Pujols and Bourjos got hurt and Hamilton sucked for the first 3/4 of the season.

I would support giving him an extension now. His worst decision, IMO, was the Greinke trade. I have to believe Arte was calling the shots on Hamilton and Pujols. Some of his other failed moves (Blanton and Hanson) really haven't been that harmful, and he has made some good moves.

I think Jerry has guts too. The Trumbo tade was gutsy, and I like a GM who won't be swayed by doing what is popular. I think he has a good plan that will take at least another three years to put into place. I would give him more time to see it through.

i dont hold the GM responsible for the players performance... hes made some bad signings, and some good, but i think hes done the job.
Unless there is some major talent available, which i cant think of any irght now, then yes

oh, and to the results crowd.. remind me again how many titles and stuff your guy has won?  Beane?  Theo?  who would you want in place?

Its too open ended of a question.

If hamilton and pujols rake this year, we'll say 'good job jerry'. If they suck, we'll blame arte. And to be fair, from what we know (as fans not insiders), that would be accurate.

The truth is we have no real idea what his budget restraints are. We dont know how many guys we really could have gotten and didnt, and how many he really had no choice to get. His moves last year look like white dog shit. But to be fair, its hard to pay for premium cable and a family vacation when your wife spent your savings on an expensive handbag that was already going out of style.

I like what I see about the organizational changes though. To really see how hes done, you really have to give him more than 3 years.

I want to see what he does with Wells and Blanton off the books.

You think that's going to give him more money to spend?

The raises Trout, Hamilton, Pujols and Weaver get will probably put them over the luxury tax in 2015.

The team salary will be increasing next year, not decreasing.

Edited by Poozy

You think that's going to give him more money to spend?

The raises Trout, Hamilton, Pujols and Weaver get will probably put them over the luxury tax in 2015.

The team salary will be increasing next year, not decreasing.

You have a point, it still hasn't dawned on me that Trout will be 24mm next year.

My thought process was Jerry not having bad contracts, but I'm in error as you're right.

Dudes going to have to work some magic.

Edited by Brandon

The more I think of it, the more I'd give him a couple years based on the way he's managed to change the organization's thought processes.   Wins and losses are easy to measure, but the stuff he's done on the information end will pay off for a long long time.

Rome wasn't built in a day, bad years happen -- people are complaining about the team missing the playoffs for four years, but he's only been here for two.