• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Joe Blanton still has a shot to stick with Angels

If Blanton is truly "better" after his latest change then it will only benefit the team this season. I get he sucked last season. He was terrible. But I'm crossing my fingers he fixed something that will be a benefit to this team. If not, I hope he's exposed early (like in Today's start) so that we cut him before he kills us during the regular season in long relief or as a fill-in if there's an injury.

If I could go back in time and lock Garza into that deal, I'd do it without a second thought.

It's hard to be much worse than being an injury away from having Joe Blanton in your rotation.

Garza would have been that injury away...and an expensive one.

Garza would have been that injury away...and an expensive one.

Well no, we'd have had a rotation of Weaver, Wilson, Garza, Richards and Santiago/Skaggs, with the leftover of Santiago/Skaggs as the 6th starter and Blanton as the 7th. Sixth starters usually get a lot of starts...seventh starters, not so much.

Well no, we'd have had a rotation of Weaver, Wilson, Garza, Richards and Santiago/Skaggs, with the leftover of Santiago/Skaggs as the 6th starter and Blanton as the 7th. Sixth starters usually get a lot of starts...seventh starters, not so much.

Yeah, but in this scenario of yours, Santiago or Skaggs (whichever is not in the rotation) is in SLC and Blanton would be with the team...so, by default, 6th starter...at least once.

If not, I hope he's exposed early (like in Today's start) so that we cut him before he kills us during the regular season in long relief or as a fill-in if there's an injury.

My fear is that he will perform just well enough to make the roster when we break camp, but he will get shelled as soon as the season starts. Not like it hasn't happened before.

My fear is that he will perform just well enough to make the roster when we break camp, but he will get shelled as soon as the season starts. Not like it hasn't happened before.

Nah. Last year, he had a stellar spring performance, then got shelled as soon as the season started. Subtle difference.

That's still about a 5.40 ERA. Have we really lowered our standards that much, that an ERA well north of 5 is good enough? 

Apparently some people still think it's 2009 or something?

A 5.40 ERA is pretty awful now. 

It would cost the angels the playoffs if he manages to start with that ERA.

Edited by Poozy

Before you run the guy out ask yourself who would replace him... do we have anyone pushing him in camp right now?  tearing it up making he choice difficult?  The reason we are having this conversation as opposing to how much the other guys are tearing it up answers the question.
addition by subtraction only works if you have something as good or better in the wings... we dont so or we would be talking about htose guys instead of Blanton.

Before you run the guy out ask yourself who would replace him... do we have anyone pushing him in camp right now?  tearing it up making he choice difficult?  The reason we are having this conversation as opposing to how much the other guys are tearing it up answers the question.

addition by subtraction only works if you have something as good or better in the wings... we dont so or we would be talking about htose guys instead of Blanton.

Shoemaker has pitched better than Blanton this spring...small sample size and I'm not sure he's a legit option but his numbers are better....

Shoemaker has pitched better than Blanton this spring...small sample size and I'm not sure he's a legit option but his numbers are better....

fair enough and i agree.. are you willing to bank on that small sample?

Would it be the best thing for the organization to bring Shoemaker up to sit the bench and be depth or start at AAA?

Im quite sure if he tears it up on the farm and a need arises he would get consideration especially if its a long term thing.

Im just saying that big picture wise... were talking about a spot starter mor up guy right now... Blanton makes more sense there that Shoemaker.  If Shoemaker had a larger sample and was more proven, maybe its different.

fair enough and i agree.. are you willing to bank on that small sample?

Would it be the best thing for the organization to bring Shoemaker up to sit the bench and be depth or start at AAA?

Im quite sure if he tears it up on the farm and a need arises he would get consideration especially if its a long term thing.

Im just saying that big picture wise... were talking about a spot starter mor up guy right now... Blanton makes more sense there that Shoemaker.  If Shoemaker had a larger sample and was more proven, maybe its different.

Probably not a big enough sample size...you need to factor in Salt Lake last year, where he was ok, certainly not dominate...how does that translate to the AL?  Dunno...he doesn't need more seasoning at AAA, he's 26 or so...he is what he is....I just think Blanton is like buying a bad stock...you made a mistake ( and it was a bad mistake on DiPoto's part, no way to argue otherwise), cut your losses and move on...it isn't going to get any better....

I dont know i think hes better than he was last year.  Is he going to win 20 or any nonsense like that no... but i also dont think hes a 6 ERA guy again either.  
cutting the losses is one thing.. and a viable one again when you have options.. im not sure we do.  cutting him loose does nothing but make us even thinner than we a;ready are. 

Keep him for now, lets see what he does, and if he falters then you make the move but as far as spring goes i dont think just cutting the guy makes any sense from an org standpoint

I guess one way to look at it is that in his past 10 innings, take away one 3 run inning, and he's retired just about every batter faced.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if he is the 6th starter.    BUT, the leash should basically be no more than 2-3 bad outings in a row.

If that happens, then you get Shoemaker up here and release Blanton.

.I just think Blanton is like buying a bad stock...you made a mistake ( and it was a bad mistake on DiPoto's part, no way to argue otherwise), cut your losses and move on...it isn't going to get any better....

Well said.

I dont know i think hes better than he was last year.  Is he going to win 20 or any nonsense like that no... but i also dont think hes a 6 ERA guy again either.  

cutting the losses is one thing.. and a viable one again when you have options.. im not sure we do.  cutting him loose does nothing but make us even thinner than we a;ready are. 

Keep him for now, lets see what he does, and if he falters then you make the move but as far as spring goes i dont think just cutting the guy makes any sense from an org standpoint

I guess one way to look at it is that in his past 10 innings, take away one 3 run inning, and he's retired just about every batter faced.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if he is the 6th starter.    BUT, the leash should basically be no more than 2-3 bad outings in a row.

If that happens, then you get Shoemaker up here and release Blanton.

Some truth to all of that but, if he's #6, where does he fit in?  We need a full BP, have lots of options there, and Blanton takes a spot that a productive reliever could take....Scioscia has said he didn't necessarily think they needed a "long guy", which may be Scioscia code for Blanton makes the rotation or we release him...

I certainly don't want Blanton pitching this year for the Angels, but I do think that flop is right. Blanton isn't as bad as he pitched last year. He obviously isn't a good major league pitcher anymore and I don't think he was ever above average, but he isn't a 6 ERA pitcher. He is usually a guy you could expect to pitch about 180 innings of 4.5 ERA and go about 10-11 (yes YoT, I am using wins as a stat), which obviously isn't good, but with a good offense he would have kept you in games before last season.

I could see them keeping Shoemaker in AAA so he get's the ball every fifth day as opposed to the off chance he'll be needed in a blowup. 

I think there is a fair amount of redundancy in the pen.  Not every guy is very good, but if it seems Moran is getting worn out, you can bring Maronde up for a bit to take the edge off.  If Jep and Smith are overworked, then maybe kohn get's a little more time. 

This team is going to be very dependent on the pen this year.  I think they are going to limit Skaggs, Santiago, and Richards innings early on.  A bunch of five inning performances from the starters. 

The pen has Frieri, DDLR, Smith, Kohn, Jep, Rasmus, and Salas from the right, and Burnett, Moran, Maronde, and Boshers from the Left.  That's 11 right there.  Plus a bunch of the non-roster guys that could chip in at some point, plus guys coming soon like Alvarez and Morin.  Again, it's not a bunch of rock stars, but a generally capable bunch that are somewhat interchangeable.  I think we are going to see a ton of movement in the first couple of months  Trying to find which of that group is gonna step up and which may have the hot hand.