• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Average LA City firefighter salary last year: $142k

yk9001

As far as local municipalities being smarter with how they spend, agreed. But its important to remember that not all cities are dealing with tough unions, and at least in termsnof police departments, most arent very strong bargaining groups. Fire does better because they are part of a larger overall union.

FWIW, the OC watchdog did an article a year or two ago that listed the taxpayer cost for police per city. The agency I work for cost each taxpayer in the city something like $1.07 a day. That includes all costs, operations, salaries, pension etc. 30 bucks a month might be expensive to some, but to most, its not. How much is car insurance?

Two things.  The police unions may be "smaller" compared to the national IAFF representing firefighters, but they use the police salaries of surrounding cities to justify higher wages.  I have a big problem with that.  Just because other cities err in overpaying their employees doesn't mean my city should do the same. 

Police and fire costs in my city are about $1.07 as well assuming you count every single resident as a taxpayer.  I understand the insurance value of having police and fire a phone call away, but at $1.07 a day that's $1562 per year for a family of four...awfully steep in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

It's corrupt everywhere. The civilian cops I used to work with were making around 100k a year, because of the overtime they racked up, to do the same job as the military personnel making 30k a year

Finally they removed all their overtime. A lot of bitching and moaning took place.

Still no one milks the system more than firefighters simply because everyone loves them and thinks they're heroes. 

Edited by Poozy

Most of the firefighters in my state, and most midwestern states do the same stuff....................

for free.

When they're not cutting hair or selling chocolate malts. 

When they're not cutting hair or selling chocolate malts. 

Or banking, or working in the oil fields or the supermarket, or the insurance company or wherever.  Bottom line is they get the job done.

for free.