• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Average LA City firefighter salary last year: $142k

yk9001

My point is it's more about possible jealousy rather than being upset that fire fighters are overpaid.

That is a bad argument.  Isn't it logical to want taxpayer money to be spent wisely?  Isn't is logical to not see states, counties and cities not go bankrupt due to basically unpayable pensions?  Isn't it logical to review the governments spending habits once in a while?

That is a bad argument. Isn't it logical to want taxpayer money to be spent wisely? Isn't is logical to not see states, counties and cities not go bankrupt due to basically unpayable pensions? Isn't it logical to review the governments spending habits once in a while?

I already said earlier that I thought it was a flawed system. I was just curious how much of the outrage is jealousy. I have no problem with their pay, I have a problem with their pensions.

I already said earlier that I thought it was a flawed system. I was just curious how much of the outrage is jealousy. I have no problem with their pay, I have a problem with their pensions.

What is there to be jealous about?  Their salaries and pensions are destroying our cities. 

It comes down to this in my eyes. Most businesses know whether or not it is less expensive to give out massive overtime or to hire more people. Just a hunch, because of their pensions and benefits package, it is less expensive to give out massive overtime. I think the model is broken, I don't understand the need to have them work 24 hours a day for three or four days. Welcome to California, where the unions are backed politically and it I don't think it will ever change.

It comes down to this in my eyes. Most businesses know whether or not it is less expensive to give out massive overtime or to hire more people. Just a hunch, because of their pensions and benefits package, it is less expensive to give out massive overtime.

Probably a fair argument.

It's a moot point unless you or anyone responding is on the taxpayer dime since that's the crux of the discussion about taxpayers being on the hook for pensions that are underfunded.

I am on the taxpayer dime. Since I'm in the military, you all help pay my salary. Hell, even I help pay my salary lol

I am on the taxpayer dime. Since I'm in the military, you all help pay my salary. Hell, even I help pay my salary lol

Except you get paid very little and you basically get zero pension unless you stay in the military long term.  Thank you for your service.

you guys should be paid more. 

Edited by mtangelsfan

• 3 weeks later...

Im late to the thread, but a few thoughts.

Firstly about the military. As a vet, 6 years in the Infantry, I can say yes, the pay for lower enlisted is terrible. That said, do it for four years and viola, you have a scholarship for your BA, as well as a home loan with nothing down. Consider that the same applies to all branches and all MOS', and thats not at all bad (as long as youre not an idiot and tak advantage of it).

As far as local municipalities being smarter with how they spend, agreed. But its important to remember that not all cities are dealing with tough unions, and at least in termsnof police departments, most arent very strong bargaining groups. Fire does better because they are part of a larger overall union.

FWIW, the OC watchdog did an article a year or two ago that listed the taxpayer cost for police per city. The agency I work for cost each taxpayer in the city something like $1.07 a day. That includes all costs, operations, salaries, pension etc. 30 bucks a month might be expensive to some, but to most, its not. How much is car insurance?

Where it stands out to people is if they never have a needfor the services. And thats understandable. Its human nature (just as you can complain about paying for schools if you dont have kids). But its more insurance than anything.You may never really 'see' us, but then again would you know about someone we stopped breaking into cars on your street at 4 am? Again, its not something you'll see so it doesnt directly effect you, but the car that was stolen could have been yours.

As far as fire, I have a lot of respect for them. Fornme, personally, a buck a day in case something bad happens to me is money well spent (I spend more on cable). Ive seen first hand (which happens a lot) about the delay from fire when the guys coming are two or three stations away because those guys are on another call.

That said, the 24 hour shifts I dont understand at all. I dont see why they cant do our schedules. Yes, there will always be overtime (at my spot, there isnt really a whole lot. And whats there isnusually being paid by the guy taking the day off as comp time). But I imagine the OT would be a lot less. (I could be wrong).

The reality is that the wages and benefits arent breaking the state (although I know people will disagree). The reality is that there arent enough people putting into the pot what we all are taking from it. Not every city is in the red. Again, FWIW, during the recent recession, my city not only had a budget surplus at the start, but it grew during the recession. And I work in a city most consider very middle class, with a huge chunk of it being lower middle. But because we were already paying the 9 percent (before everyone became required to), we havent gotten a raise since 2005, and we operate at a bare bones staffing level, our city never really 'felt' the recession, other than they couldnt do some things they would have liked to (unless they wanted tos pend the surplus).

I saw a firetruck at the beach off PCH last weekend. They could've been there fighting a fire or treating a jellyfish sting for all I know.

$142K is ridonculous. Cut the salary in half and double the staff. I highly doubt there will enough qualified individuals who will line up for that. If they end up fighting a fire, then pay them a bonus. But no pay increase for scrapping glass off the street after a car accident, Costco runs and cats in trees. Oh, and control their pensions.

Edited by CF8

People die every day doing their jobs.

Let me know when a convenience store clerk is called a hero.

http://www.lbreport.com/news/mar14/2457th.htm

Edited by yk9001