• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

You have to pick one: Garza or Jiminez

Glen

Who would you rather have: Garza or Jiminez?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. You have to pick one, which one is it?

• Garza
    • Jiminez

Signing Jiminez would be just another giant leap in the wrong direction for this organization. When you have the worst system in baseball, you can't afford to be giving up your top draft pick for guys like Jiminez or Santana.

It's Garza, Capuano/Maholm, Arroyo, or nothing.

weird, because Jonah Keri is generally very smart and has written about the Angels specifically with great knowledge in the past.  I agree with others though, signing Jiminez would make very little sense given their situation.  If Garza proves to be too much $$, I think they get Capuano or Arroyo and call it a day.

It's really Garza + 15th pick in the draft or Ubaldo.  There are a collection of tremendously valuable collegiate pitchers that are expected to go in the first two rounds of the draft.  A collegiate first round pitcher would likely be in AA to start 2015 and in the rotation by 2016 or 2017.  

So Garza plus a Top 100 pitching prospect filling a team need that's under control for 6+ years or Ubaldo Jimenez.  

I'll take Garza.

A collegiate first round pitcher would likely be in AA to start 2015 and in the rotation by 2016 or 2017. 

Really? I guess it may depend on how old they are. A 22 year old would almost certainly see that projection. But a 19-20 year old? I guess if they are talented enough age doesn't matter. Hopefully the Angels' scouts can find a good college pitcher at that point in the draft.

Funny thing though, we all assume (and rightfully so) that they will draft a pitcher in the first round. It makes sense, considering that is their biggest area of need. But would they pass up on a top infield prospect who fell into their laps to draft a pitcher who would have otherwise gone in the 20's somewhere because they really need pitching? Ehh probably. Although I think if a top 10 draft prospect fell into their laps at 15 (or is it 16?) they'd have to consider it regardless of position.

Although to be fair, I don't really know the whole drafting process. They could see a great outfield prospect fall into their laps but feel they have plenty of depth in that area and pass on him for a pitcher.

I get too much of an Ervin Santana vibe from Jimenez.  Capable of anything from a 3.5 to a 5.5 era.   Garza might get injured but is probably a better bet to be solid whereas Ubaldo could just plain suck.  The draft pick seals the deal.  

I am not quite as optimistic as Scotty about the 15th pick, but the draft is supposedly deep with pitching.  Not a good year to give up a pick.  On average, a pick in that range is worth about 10-15mil but it's definitely hit a hr territory and you just can't afford to pass that up. 

Yeah in hindsight that really would have been a good signing. His contract is actually pretty team friendly all things considered.

I'll still never understand why they didn't offer him arbitration. It would have been a win win for the angels. 

If he accepted, he probably would have gotten around 10 million dollars for 1 year, which is a pretty good deal.

If he walked, then the Angels get another 1st round draft pick out of it.

It really shows how incompetent this organization is. 

I'll still never understand why they didn't offer him arbitration. It would have been a win win for the angels. 

If he accepted, he probably would have gotten around 10 million dollars for 1 year, which is a pretty good deal.

If he walked, then the Angels get another 1st round draft pick out of it.

It really shows how incompetent this organization is. 

They no longer do arbitration, it's a straight qualifying offer that would have been 13.3 Mil this year.   Considering he signed for 32 mil over 4 years, that QO seems like it would have been a rather large one season overpay.