• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Active Hall of Famers

Why Halladay?

Halladay was the best, most consistent pitcher of his era; a true ace for 11 of his 16 seasons. Two Cy Young Awards, eight time all-star, five times winning 19 or more games, six seasons with an ERA under 3.00, a postseason no-hitter, 67 complete games, 20 shutouts, and a career record of 203-105.

He's in.

Halladay was the best, most consistent pitcher of his era; a true ace for 11 of his 16 seasons. Two Cy Young Awards, eight time all-star, five times winning 19 or more games, six seasons with an ERA under 3.00, a postseason no-hitter, 67 complete games, 20 shutouts, and a career record of 203-105.

He's in.

I don't think he's an automatic.  72 MLB pitchers (however loosely you define that term) are in the HOF.  Of those, 53 have more than 203 wins.  Of the remaining 19 pitchers, 5 were primarily known as relievers, 1 is Babe Ruth, 1 was elected to the HOF for his umpiring (Hank O'Day), 1 is Satchel Paige who was obviously elected more for his Negro League legacy, 1 is in because he allegedly invented the curveball (Candy Cummings), and 1 is Sandy Koufax, who is a special case, obviously. 

Addie Joss died in the middle of his career, but was still elected due to how dominant he was.  Monte Ward was a pitcher/infielder hybrid.  Jack Chesbro is in because he won 41 games in a season.  Dizzy Dean is in because he was dominant for a few short years, and then a well-known personality for a long time.

Point being, there's really not much of a history of starters getting in with "only" 203 wins, unless there are special circumstances surrounding their careers or individual accomplishments/legends.  Not sure it'll be an automatic in for Halladay...

I don't think he's an automatic.  72 MLB pitchers (however loosely you define that term) are in the HOF.  Of those, 53 have more than 203 wins.  Of the remaining 19 pitchers, 5 were primarily known as relievers, 1 is Babe Ruth, 1 was elected to the HOF for his umpiring (Hank O'Day), 1 is Satchel Paige who was obviously elected more for his Negro League legacy, 1 is in because he allegedly invented the curveball (Candy Cummings), and 1 is Sandy Koufax, who is a special case, obviously. 

Addie Joss died in the middle of his career, but was still elected due to how dominant he was.  Monte Ward was a pitcher/infielder hybrid.  Jack Chesbro is in because he won 41 games in a season.  Dizzy Dean is in because he was dominant for a few short years, and then a well-known personality for a long time.

Point being, there's really not much of a history of starters getting in with "only" 203 wins, unless there are special circumstances surrounding their careers or individual accomplishments/legends.  Not sure it'll be an automatic in for Halladay...

Pitcher wins are becoming an anachronistic stat, anyway, with 5-man rotations and pitch counts. The average starting pitcher now pitches only about 6 innings/start, and that leads to a lot of no decisions.

I doubt that as long as pitcher wins are still counted, that there will ever be another 300-game winner.

Halladay goes in because he is the best pitcher of his era. He is the best pitcher in the post-Maddux era.

Read Jonah Keri's column today. It will be very tough for any fringe candidates to make it in the future because of the 10 vote limit and the log jam of deserving players created by the steroids guys.

There has been talk of getting rid of the 10 vote limit next year.

If that's the case, many more people are going to get voted in.

There has been talk of getting rid of the 10 vote limit next year.

If that's the case, many more people are going to get voted in.

Only 50% of the voters even used their full ten slots. Many are just small hall guys who only want the elite of the elite in there. Even if the 10 vote limit is removed there probably still won't be a ton of borderline guys getting in. There are going to be a number of "all timers" coming up for nomination in the next few years as well like Randy Johnson and Griffey. Unless there are going to be a lot of 5 and 6 player classes I think the backlog of stars will continue.

Edited by eaterfan

Addie Joss is also the reason the first ever "All Star" like game was played.   His team played a game to benefit his family Vs. a group of AL All Stars including Home Run Baker, Tris Speaker, Eddie Collins, and Walter Johnson.   I think he's the only guy to have the ten year rule waived too.

Not sure if you were just joking, but Jimmy Wynn is not in the HOF.  In fact, he didn't get a single vote during the only year he was on the ballot.

met jimmy wynn once when i was 15. one of the most arrogant jerks i've ever met.

CC should definitely get in as well.

If he posts even a few average seasons to close out his career, he'll have a very good case.

Then again, if a guy like Schilling is having trouble making it, then maybe Sabathia isn't going to make it.

I still don't know why so many people have missed the boat about Schilling.

He has better career numbers than Glavine in appx 9 out of 10 categories...has pitched in tougher ballparks...does better in the playoffs and is basically an after thought.

I don't understand.

I still don't know why so many people have missed the boat about Schilling.

He has better career numbers than Glavine in appx 9 out of 10 categories...has pitched in tougher ballparks...does better in the playoffs and is basically an after thought.

I don't understand.

He's a huge douche, too. You have to believe that's a major factor.