• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Encrypted Password File

mp170.6

Why would you need to do that?

I have probably 25 accounts for which I need to remember usernames and passwords. 

It's gotten to a point that I can't remember them all because the password standards are more and more demanding. A couple accounts in particular require uppercase, lowercase, numbers, special characters (i.e. !@#$%^&*) and have to be changed every three months.  Yesterday, I couldn't remember my most recent password and got locked out of the system for 24 hours. 

So I need some way to safeguard and keep them handy at the same time. 

well on your computer, you could use truecrypt.  

Or you could just make a system.  

for instance.  For AW.com take the first 4 letters.  AnGe  take your screen name Mp and change the number 7 to an & 1&0.  

So for AW.com you would have AnGeMp1&0  for like ESPN you could do either EnTeMp1&0 or EsPnMp1&0

That way for every site, your password is different.  You only have to remember what your key is.

well on your computer, you could use truecrypt.  

Or you could just make a system.  

for instance.  For AW.com take the first 4 letters.  AnGe  take your screen name Mp and change the number 7 to an & 1&0.  

So for AW.com you would have AnGeMp1&0  for like ESPN you could do either EnTeMp1&0 or EsPnMp1&0

That way for every site, your password is different.  You only have to remember what your key is.

I screwed up on the thread title.  Meant to say Encrypted Password Manager.

Coming up with a password isn't the problem, it's remembering it since I have to change it so often in some cases.

there are a bunch of good ones.

1password, keepass, msecure come to mind as great options.

Have you used any of these, or are you familiar with the technology?

Essentially what I'm looking for is the assurance that if my phone was lost or stolen, the encryption key would require some crazy amount of time to crack.  You know, like 500 years using the most powerful computers currently available.

I screwed up on the thread title.  Meant to say Encrypted Password Manager.

Coming up with a password isn't the problem, it's remembering it since I have to change it so often in some cases.

Yeah, truecrypt isn't a password manager.  It's more of file encryption.  Which could still work in your case.  Put all your passwords into a doc.  Then put the file into the encryption container.  Good thing about using this method is you can put anything else you want encrypted into the same container.  

I use the Opera browser, which automatically encrypts and stores your passwords if you set it up that way. Control/enter puts in your user ID and password on whatever website you happen to be on. It also has a nice interface with thumbnails of the websites you have bookmarked that you use to go to each one.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan