• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

League wide Qualifying offer news

gotbeer

Just as soon as this org gets it act together with how to put a solid team together.

And just how is it nothing but derogatory remarks, when I've talked at length about Trout, Weave, propped Wilson for a good 2013, propped DDLR for his breakthrough after a decade, been a supporter of Bourjos in the face of critiques, etc, etc. 

Is it more than needed?   Yes, but not 100% of what I post!

Is it not true that Arte Moreno is one of a select few owners who pretty much never makes a qualifying offer or in the old days arb to players, going back a decade? 

I dunno AO, but perception is reality. I see more negativity from you than others, accompanied by !!!!!!!!!!!!! and hyperbole. 

Right decision to not offer Vargas the QO.  The risk is just too high.

I don't know Scott.  I think the Angels should have offered him a QO.  One year at $14.1 million wouldn't have been a horrible deal.  But if he signs with another team, we are looking at Weaver, Wilson, Richards, Blanton, and probably Jerome next year right now.  And to get that 4th and 5th pitcher, it will cost us plenty in the trade market.  

Who is replacing Vargas' production in the rotation for less than $14 million? I wont say Vargas is worth $14 mill per year but I don't see the upside to this move unless you point to a few more bucks in Moreno's bank account.

This is reminding me a lot of last off season when DiPoto thought he could improve on Santana & Haren and save money in the process with Blanton and Hanson. We did end up saving money...

Edited by AngelsLakersFan

I don't know Scott.  I think the Angels should have offered him a QO.  One year at $14.1 million wouldn't have been a horrible deal.  But if he signs with another team, we are looking at Weaver, Wilson, Richards, Blanton, and probably Jerome next year right now.  And to get that 4th and 5th pitcher, it will cost us plenty in the trade market.  

A) Vargas isn't and has never been that good.

B) 14.1M is huge considering we have more than 1 rotation spot to fill.

C) We are overcrowded in the lineup as it is, because Calhoun needs a full-time spot.

I dunno AO, but perception is reality. I see more negativity from you than others, accompanied by !!!!!!!!!!!!! and hyperbole.

Maybe, but it comes from an awful lot of understanding of this game as a fan of it for 47 years, and seeing many of the same mistakes made back in the old days (lack of farm development, not utilizing draft picks well, relying on older declining players, not paying attention to foreign players).

Besides, isn't the most important thing on the board to allow all to have their say on here WITHOUT being run down by other posters

(Humor being fine though, and I use it as much as anyone here)? I have always abided by that.

Maybe, but it comes from an awful lot of understanding of this game as a fan of it for 47 years, and seeing many of the same mistakes made back in the old days (lack of farm development, not utilizing draft picks well, relying on older declining players, not paying attention to foreign players).

Besides, isn't the most important thing on the board to allow all to have their say on here WITHOUT being run down by other posters

(Humor being fine though, and I use it as much as anyone here)? I have always abided by that.

this is where I disagree with you ;)

Just as soon as this org gets it act together with how to put a solid team together.

And just how is it nothing but derogatory remarks, when I've talked at length about Trout, Weave, propped Wilson for a good 2013, propped DDLR for his breakthrough after a decade, been a supporter of Bourjos in the face of critiques, etc, etc. 

Is it more than needed?   Yes, but not 100% of what I post!

Is it not true that Arte Moreno is one of a select few owners who pretty much never makes a qualifying offer or in the old days arb to players, going back a decade? 

Um, we once again strangely did not make an offer to a player who will most likely command a multi-year deal. Maybe AO will stop when our front office pulls it's head out of it's azz. 

I remember the Braves doing that with Greg Maddux late in his career, because his agent assured them that they had multiple offers and they were just going to use the QO as a bargaining chip. Then Maddux accepted it, and it screwed up their entire offseason strategy.

I am surprised that the Yankees offered Granderson. I believe that his decline is permanent and irreversible*.

* Presuming that Alex Rodriguez doesn't hook him up with a clinic in Miami.

I remember the Braves doing that with Greg Maddux late in his career, because his agent assured them that they had multiple offers and they were just going to use the QO as a bargaining chip. Then Maddux accepted it, and it screwed up their entire offseason strategy.

I am surprised that the Yankees offered Granderson. I believe that his decline is permanent and irreversible*.

* Presuming that Alex Rodriguez doesn't hook him up with a clinic in Miami.

That year Maddux went 16-11 with a 3.96 era, 1.18 whip, and threw 218 innings.

THE CARNAGE!