• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nightmares

So my five year old has woke up twice this week as the result of some nightmares.  He's been pretty scared and it has taken a few minutes to settle him down.  Grandma, who's primary role in life is to google anything to find a way to blow it out of proportion, says it sounds like he had "night terrors".  My wife used that phrase yesterday.  Just makes me wanna roll my eyes.  Any thoughts?

if he has these kinds of scary dreams frequently, you'd be wise to talk with your pediatrician and see what kind of options/treatment is available.

if there's been some kind of tramatic or significant change in his life recently, that could be part of his issue.

hope the little guy can get some past this quick enough.

Seriously though, it's not happening every night but the first time he had this recent nightmare/night terror, he let out a blood curdling scream that gave me visions of paranormal activity.  Wifey was pretty freaked out.  I just figure it is a very vivid bad dream he is having, but wifey tells me that the side-effect of some new asthma medication he just recently started is hallucinations.  WTF?

My daughter (6) has nightmares that wake her up maybe a half dozen times a year.  Sometimes they come in bunches like two or three in a week and then not again for six months.  I would just keep an eye on it and if it keeps up then it might be a good idea to talk to a doc.

Also consider the night time routine.  Change the bed time, read a different book, sing a few songs, etc.

My boy doesn't get scared very easily at all.  He tends to like scary cartoons (Scooby Doo's) and costumes.  Definitely keeping an eye on it.  As far as the nighttime routine, he goes down around 7:30/8:00 and we read to him prior.  The books are always changing and he usually does the choosing.  Usually superhero books or the like. 

Thanks for all of the suggestions and insights.

My daughter (6) has nightmares that wake her up maybe a half dozen times a year.  Sometimes they come in bunches like two or three in a week and then not again for six months.  I would just keep an eye on it and if it keeps up then it might be a good idea to talk to a doc.

Also consider the night time routine.  Change the bed time, read a different book, sing a few songs, etc.

You know, you could always pray right before bedtime with your daughter. :P

My boy doesn't get scared very easily at all.  He tends to like scary cartoons (Scooby Doo's) and costumes.  Definitely keeping an eye on it.  As far as the nighttime routine, he goes down around 7:30/8:00 and we read to him prior.  The books are always changing and he usually does the choosing.  Usually superhero books or the like. 

Thanks for all of the suggestions and insights.

I read recently that having a defined bed time is a lot better for children than a range.  Also keep in mind that at five years old kids are supposed to sleep 11-13 hours a night.

My son (34 now) had night terrors when he was around 3 or 4.  He would wake up screaming.  He would be looking straight at me, but it looked like he wasn't seeing me...It would pass in a few minutes and he would go back to sleep.  He never remembered them the next day.  

When I was a kid I had a nightmare about a headless giraffe wearing a cardigan while sitting in a rocking chair. It was sitting in the middle of the room in a house on stilts in a bayou. Kind of like that old man at the beginning of the Pirates of the Carribean ride at Disneyland. Actually looking back on it, I think it was a human with a giraffe's neck (including the orange spots.)

Anyway, I just figured I'd share that with you guys. Pleasant dreams.