• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lou E Ville

What are your memories of the stretch drive and the glorious run through the playoffs that year?

I remember us taking it to pretty much everybody until all we needed was one more win to eliminate Seattle, and we couldn't do it for a long time. Memories of previous collapses had me nervous as hell until we won at Texas behind Lackey with like four games to go.

I remember thinking we would lose to the Yankees but I hoped we would make a good showing, especially after blowing the first game. We won the second and I thought we had a chance. We won the third and I thought "don't do this to me again, guys". Then we had that unbelievable inning in the clinching game. I was so proud. First time in four tries we had won a postseason series.  

I remember thinking we should beat the Twins, and I was thankful they took out the A's. Then we lost the first game and I thought "oh crap." But we won four straight after that. I remember AJ being AJ in that fifth game, scoring the tying run against Frankie and being obnoxious about it. Then we scored 10 against them in the bottom of that inning. Up yours, AJ.

The World Series....I hated Bonds so much. It seemed like every game was about when he would come up again and how would you pitch around him. Losing the first game and losing the fourth and fifth games....I was sure we were doomed both times. But that team just wouldn't accept defeat.

The sixth game was like the Donnie Moore game in reverse. Finally we did it to somebody else. The seventh game the Giants looked like dead men walking. Still that ninth inning had me on pins and needles. That little piece of crap (can't think of his name) hit one deep and my heart was in my throat. But then to see Erstad....my favorite player....getting under it. Man, I still get goosebumps thinking about that feeling.

I lived in Charlotte, NC at the time. If there was another Angels fan in the whole city I'd be surprised. But the next day everyone came up to me and said congratulations. It was such an awesome feeling.

I grew up in Charlotte and became a Halos fan in 1966 while living there as a 9 year-old, thanks to a 12 run 8th inning at Fenway Park in late April.

So many memories, but being there in person for the ALCS clincher, with all of the cameras going off (before cell phone cameras), will always be on my mind as they FINALLY made it to the WS for the first time.    And seeing Lofton hit that flyball to Erstad was just the capper to an incredible season.

I also remember walking to downtown Orange after the WS title clinching, and seeing the endless parade of drivers honking their horns as they drove around and around the Circle.  

Edited by Angel Oracle

What are your memories of the stretch drive and the glorious run through the playoffs that year?

I remember us taking it to pretty much everybody until all we needed was one more win to eliminate Seattle, and we couldn't do it for a long time. Memories of previous collapses had me nervous as hell until we won at Texas behind Lackey with like four games to go.

I remember thinking we would lose to the Yankees but I hoped we would make a good showing, especially after blowing the first game. We won the second and I thought we had a chance. We won the third and I thought "don't do this to me again, guys". Then we had that unbelievable inning in the clinching game. I was so proud. First time in four tries we had won a postseason series.  

I remember thinking we should beat the Twins, and I was thankful they took out the A's. Then we lost the first game and I thought "oh crap." But we won four straight after that. I remember AJ being AJ in that fifth game, scoring the tying run against Frankie and being obnoxious about it. Then we scored 10 against them in the bottom of that inning. Up yours, AJ.

The World Series....I hated Bonds so much. It seemed like every game was about when he would come up again and how would you pitch around him. Losing the first game and losing the fourth and fifth games....I was sure we were doomed both times. But that team just wouldn't accept defeat.

The sixth game was like the Donnie Moore game in reverse. Finally we did it to somebody else. The seventh game the Giants looked like dead men walking. Still that ninth inning had me on pins and needles. That little piece of crap (can't think of his name) hit one deep and my heart was in my throat. But then to see Erstad....my favorite player....getting under it. Man, I still get goosebumps thinking about that feeling.

I lived in Charlotte, NC at the time. If there was another Angels fan in the whole city I'd be surprised. But the next day everyone came up to me and said congratulations. It was such an awesome feeling.

I hope you're enjoying our daily Angels Classic Rewind feature from the 2002 season. A trip down memory lane from the beginning of this season, of the most exciting season in Angels Baseball to date. 

I believe it was Kenny Lofton that hit the last out to Erstad.  I remember watching the pitch (Lofton was the go ahead run) and seeing it lift off the bat and thinking OHNO!

Drank a whole bottle of champagne and went to work a bit groggy the next day.

"Here's the pitch to Lofton... Fly ball, center field... Erstad says he's got it... Erstad makes the catch! The Anaheim Angels are the Champions of Baseball !"

Yeah, baby.

So many memories

K-rod being called up and dominating

Wishing for a big trade before the deadline only to get Ochoa

always going 1st to 3rd

Being amazed at Figgins speed

Scott Spezio making an amazing diving catch in the playoffs

Always moving the runner over

Lackey dominating during the stretch run

Kennedys 3 home runs

Speezios 3 run homer in game 6

Anderson's double in game 7

Salmon and Erstad homering in the high scoring WS game

Erstad catching the final out

Molina running to Percival right after the last out

Wooten, Palmeiro and Gil being incredible platoon players

Salmon running around the outfield with the WS trophy

Speezios 3 run homer in game 6

I was on an overnight field trip on the boats in Dana Point when the "captain" of the ship told us SF was up 5-1.  Later I heard the cheers from across the bay at the local yacht club and had to rush off the boat, out to my truck to hear what was going on.  So, basically I missed the greatest game in our team's history.  My son, called his grandpa crying when they were down 5-1.  The game 7 wasn't as as exciting to watch knowing I missed that game.

I will probably never forget being able to hear the roar of the thundersticks at my buddies house miles away from the stadium watching the game on the night of that glorious game 7.

From the game mostly I remember Anderson in the clutch, knowing Erstad would catch the ball, and Percy celebrating like his career had been fulfilled.

It all happened so quick, like we didn't even see it coming, but everyone in the city knew what had happened.

I can't imagine how stoked they'd be if it happened again.

I believe it was Kenny Lofton that hit the last out to Erstad.  I remember watching the pitch (Lofton was the go ahead run) and seeing it lift off the bat and thinking OHNO!

Drank a whole bottle of champagne and went to work a bit groggy the next day.

Lofton actually was the tying run. I did hold my breath when he hit it though because it looked like it had a chance to be a homerun right off the bat.

Good times .... went to every playoff game that season including the WS. The the fans were working the X Factor sticks hard that season. After games six and seven nobody wanted to leave the stadium.

It must have been depressing for you to see your 3rd, 8th, and 5th favorite teams knocked out of the playoffs by your 5th least favorite team.

I remember watching game 3 Yankees/Angels standing room only on a Friday night at National Sports Grille. Yankee fans so depressed after the 9-6 Halo's win to go up 2-1 in the series. Adam Kennedy's home run hat trick against the Twinkees. Taking down the Giants and Barry Bonds to finally win the World Series. WOW! What a year!

When Garret Anderson hit that 3-run bomb against Texas on a late September afternoon to blow the game open and enable us to finally win the wild card, when it looked for a time like we might collapse again.

I was on my way to a business appointment and almost drove off the road in my excitement. Sixteen years of waiting and we finally made the playoffs.

Edited by fan_since79

I believe going through that tough four or five game stretch where we couldn't get that wildcard clinching win helped us play looser in the playoffs. I think the same thing happened to the 2005 ChiSox, who if you'll remember were in danger of blowing a huge lead down the stretch to Cleveland but clinched late, then lost ONE game in the postseason.

The thing that amazes me about that playoff run looking back now is how we did it with the starting rotation we had. Washburn, Appier, Ortiz, and mid-season call up Lackey. The year before the Diamondbacks had won it all solely on the backs of Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling. How the hell were we able to go 11-5 that postseason with those four guys? Hell, Washburn was 0-2 in the World Series.

The thing that amazes me about that playoff run looking back now is how we did it with the starting rotation we had. Washburn, Appier, Ortiz, and mid-season call up Lackey. The year before the Diamondbacks had won it all solely on the backs of Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling. How the hell were we able to go 11-5 that postseason with those four guys? Hell, Washburn was 0-2 in the World Series.

It was a great team.

It was an amazing team, but usually teams have at least one ace who they can count on to win at least one game every round. We simply willed our way to the title that year. Erstad, Salmon, Glaus, GA, Speez, and all the guys who got em on, got em over and got em home.

Maybe starting pitching is overrated in the playoffs? It certainly wasn't in 2001.

Reggie Sanders and the thunder sticks in the right field corner is my enduring image of the WS.

I laughed at the look on Washburn's face after Bonds hit that ball down the tunnel.

I felt fully vindicated for thinking it would bite Dusty in the ass letting RoboBat play left field instead of DH.