• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

T.J. Simers to the Register?

Bill Melton

I am hearing that the Orange County Register is hiring T.J. Simers, the sports columnist at the LA Times who is on double secret probation.

I am hearing that all that is left to do is the usual pre-hire paperwork and drug test that is done for every new employee.

TJ ought to get a lot of people to sign up for the paid online subscription.

We all know how much T.J. hates to cover what he calls the "boring" Angels. This ought to be good. What does everyone else think?

Edited by Bill Melton

I used to enjoy reading the OC Register Angels blog...haven't even thought twice about it since they instituted that ridiculous pay wall. For $10 a quarter I get the Times delivered to my house on Sundays and full access to their website. What would that get me on the Register website, a week? And even better now...don't have to run in to Simers too boot! Sweet.

Edited by red321

Paywalls for news agencies are sort of ridiculous.  I understand the need, and I don't begrudge the newspapers or whatever for instituting them, but really...I can typically find a story somewhere for free.  I'm not about to start paying so I can read a columnist.  There's just way too much other free stuff on the internets to distract me.  I can get way more mileage out of a free deadspin session than a Simers column, for example.

As a journalist myself (crime reporter at The Press-Enterprise), I feel like my work is worth paying for, so I have no problem with the paywalls. How long would McDonald's be in business if it gave away its hamburgers?

Sure, you can read national news many places for free, but newspapers that cover local news have a product that is unique and therefore worth paying for.

As a journalist myself (crime reporter at The Press-Enterprise), I feel like my work is worth paying for, so I have no problem with the paywalls. How long would McDonald's be in business if it gave away its hamburgers?

Sure, you can read national news many places for free, but newspapers that cover local news have a product that is unique and therefore worth paying for.

I don't have an issue with a paywall per se. I have an issue with the OC Register pay wall which is ridiculously priced in my view. I don't want the paper delivered for $20 a month, I won't read it and it ends up going straight to the recycle bin, much like my subscription to the Times did. But the only alternative is $2/day (which comes out to almost $700/year). If they had a reasonable monthly option, or an option like the Times (again, $10 per quarter for the Sunday paper and unlimited online access), I'd consider it. 

There is no content on either the LAT or OCR that I cannot find anywhere else. Certainly none I would pay for. As a reporter I would expect you think your services are worth the price of admission, which of us would not like to get paid for our work. Here the print media model is no longer feasible as a primary business model. To then ask for what is, comparatively, an absurd amount of money for the pay site is going to do nothing but make interested parties, dis-interested in the delivery method and seek our news elsewhere.

As for TJ, I always kind of thought of him as the Steve Hartman of newspapers, trying to create news and conflict where none need exist to justify ones own existence by the number of people calling and writing to complain about you.

Edited by Ithaca