• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Blind Player Pick

ettin

Blind Player Pick  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which Player Would You Choose in a Platoon Role Against Left Handed Pitchers?

• Player A: .261 AVG/.855 OPS with a career 9.8%BB% and 30.8%K%, who can sign for League Minimum
    • Player B: .243 AVG/.853 OPS with a career 17.3%BB% and 22.1%K%, who would cost say $5 million

So who would you choose?

Oh by the way Player A is 3 years older than Player B.

Answer posted tomorrow (if any of you guess who these players are please keep it to yourselves until people have had a chance to vote).

Muwahahahaahaha! One already fell into my web! :)

By the way, excellent Admiral Ackbar impression, Glen!

That gives me an excuse to post my second-favorite youtube clip for posting on this board (after the Barbaro update clip, of course, which will always be #1):

That gives me an excuse to post my second-favorite youtube clip for posting on this board (after the Barbaro update clip, of course, which will always be #1):

I worked on Buffy years ago and Seth used to bring these stupid toys with him and do all the voices over beers with us after work. So much fun, that guy.

Assuming the two are equal in every facet of the game not listed, ie position, defense and baserunning, I would choose B. The OBP difference is pretty big and makes up for the slugging difference and money difference. 

A lot would also depend on club control and the actual age of the players. I'm assuming both are past their primes if the older player can be had for league minimum and the younger guy costs 5 million. But either way, the longer the club control the more I want player B.

Drumroll......

Player B is Chris Iannetta's career platoon numbers against left-handed pitchers

Player A is Kelly Shoppach's career platoon numbers against left-handed pitchers.

Shoppach was just released off of a Minor League deal so obtaining him shouldn't be too difficult. The point is that he comes cheap and offers similar production to Iannetta and since the future appears to be Hank Conger, Shoppach would fit right into the platoon split with Conger picking up all of the at-bat's against RHP and Kelly against LHP.

The real idea is that at $5 million next season, Iannetta is a tradeable asset if we need to trade him. This little exercise shows that we can replace his production with something similar if that ended up happening.

Don't get me wrong there are arguments that could be made about which is better, I am just advocating that they are similar enough where you could trade Iannetta for a needed piece, save some cash, and pick up a piece that would replace a large part of his production.

Drumroll......

Player B is Chris Iannetta's career platoon numbers against left-handed pitchers

Player A is Kelly Shoppach's career platoon numbers against left-handed pitchers.

Shoppach was just released off of a Minor League deal so obtaining him shouldn't be too difficult. The point is that he comes cheap and offers similar production to Iannetta and since the future appears to be Hank Conger, Shoppach would fit right into the platoon split with Conger picking up all of the at-bat's against RHP and Kelly against LHP.

The real idea is that at $5 million next season, Iannetta is a tradeable asset if we need to trade him. This little exercise shows that we can replace his production with something similar if that ended up happening.

Don't get me wrong there are arguments that could be made about which is better, I am just advocating that they are similar enough where you could trade Iannetta for a needed piece, save some cash, and pick up a piece that would replace a large part of his production.

I was a huge advocate of player B but I would be very much in favor of signing Shoppack and trading Ianetta if you can get anything for him. I have confidence in Conger.

You left out the most important factor in the original post, these players were back ups.

You can't judge just based on those numbers.

Defense and baserunning figures in too.

But just based on bat the B option is far superior.

It was just a bit of a thought exercise Rageous. If I had thrown in their caught stealing numbers, passed balls, etc. people would have figured out who they were much easier. Also I knew they were both similar in terms of baserunning and overall defense so I didn't include those numbers for brevity's sake.

I like your thought process here Ettin. 

I used to be against platoons, but I think it's a good way to optimize certain players value on the cheap.  With the right mix, you could offset the loss in value of trading a couple of everyday players. 

I am not sure how much value Ianetta has in trade, but it's a good thought for bringing in someone like a Stephen Drew to face RHers (.274/.342/.447 split vs. rhers) if they trade Aybar.  Tommy Field and Andrew Romine have better minor league numbers vs. LHers.  

I like your thought process here Ettin. 

I used to be against platoons, but I think it's a good way to optimize certain players value on the cheap.  With the right mix, you could offset the loss in value of trading a couple of everyday players. 

I am not sure how much value Ianetta has in trade, but it's a good thought for bringing in someone like a Stephen Drew to face RHers (.274/.342/.447 split vs. rhers) if they trade Aybar.  Tommy Field and Andrew Romine have better minor league numbers vs. LHers.  

You know the funny thing is I really feel like Tommy Field might be a bigger piece than people realize. He's had good OBP in the Minors and he has some pop in his bat as he's average close to about a .160 ISO.

Additionally he is above average defensively at most of the infield positions and is even passable at SS. I think he either enters a super-sub role where he gets 4-5 games a week or he will actually platoon with someone like Lindsey.

Some of these waiver pickups and minor trades Dipoto made might pan out to some decent incremental value for the team. You notice that he seems to go after young spare parts that other teams didn't have the playing time for and they have above average backgrounds in the Minors but no real time in the Majors to really show what they are capable of. Sure some of them may not pan out but players like Nelson, Field, Lindsey, Jimenez, Green, and Calhoun have some real potential if they can hack it at the Major League level.