• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Y Commentary: Josh Hamilton’s Trek into Darkness

gotbeer

Interesting article. Didn't know Hamilton put up a .950 OPS in August and September last year— all we ever hear about is how he completely disappeared after May.

That's because he didn't. He put up a .943 OPS in August and an .873 OPS in August/September - which doesn't add up to .950, more like .910ish. I know, its close enough, but that's some sloppy journalism.

That's because he didn't. He put up a .943 OPS in August and an .873 OPS in August/September - which doesn't add up to .950, more like .910ish. I know, its close enough, but that's some sloppy journalism.

Don't know where you are getting those stats. His OPS in September was .948. So it was like .945 in August/September, which to me is definitely close enough.

If you are adding in October, then yeah his OPS in those three months was .912.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=hamiljo03&year=2012&t=b

Meant to write .873 in Sept/Oct, not Aug/Sept.

I was including October as well, in which he went 2-13, which brought his Sept/Oct numbers down quite a bit. So technically the author is correct - his OPS was close to .950, but he only gets that number by ignoring the last three games of the season, which seems rather deceptive.

Last 30 Days of Josh:

Avg. is .277

OBP is .339

SLG is .482

OPS is .821

Certainly not what we were looking for, by not a total bust for that period.  He may finally be relaxing as the team is out of any contention.  Another interesting stat is that Hamilton has 5 HR's and 18 RBI's over the past 30 days.  Trout has 5 HR's, and 15 RBI's.  In the last 30 days he has struck out 28 times, Trumbo has struck out 44 times.  I agree with stormngt, but I worry about them staying on the field and being healthy the most as they age.

Last 30 Days of Josh:

Avg. is .277

OBP is .339

SLG is .482

OPS is .821

Certainly not what we were looking for, by not a total bust for that period.  He may finally be relaxing as the team is out of any contention.  Another interesting stat is that Hamilton has 5 HR's and 18 RBI's over the past 30 days.  Trout has 5 HR's, and 15 RBI's.  In the last 30 days he has struck out 28 times, Trumbo has struck out 44 times.  I agree with stormngt, but I worry about them staying on the field and being healthy the most as they age.

At this point, I'd be happy with an .800 OPS from both hamilton and pujols with 140 games played from each of them.

Not many teams in baseball can have a .950 OPS guy to go along with 2 .800 OPS guys.

At the same time. the angels need to win now, because their future looks bleak after 2 or so years if it doesn't already.

Edited by Poozy