• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who should/will go?

tennischmp

Who should/will go?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who should go?

• Scioscia
    • Dipoto
    • Neither
    • Both
  2. 2. Who will go?

• Scioscia
    • Dipoto
    • Neither
    • Both

If I was to pick I would say both. I like Mike I think he is a decent manager but.. he has had his time here. Dipoto is a mess and should go first but I think bringing in a new GM and letting that GM pick his own manager would be the best decision. If I could keep one of Dipoto or Mike I would keep Mike 1000%. Dipoto is horrible. Nothing he has done here has worked out. 

I'm pretty much now on the Fire Scioscia bandwagon. This team needs new leadership. I'd like to give Dipoto one more offseason and see what he might do without the Scioscia friction.

That said, while I voted that Scioscia should go, I voted that Dipoto will go. Maybe that's more my fear, but I think one of the two will go and that its more likely it will be Dipoto, who is an easier scapegoat given the poor pitching staff. Plus its hard to ignore that $25 million owed to Scioscia.

Fourteen years is far too long for a manager and it's clear that Mike's run is over...has been for years. I don't care how much money he's due. Cut your loses, pay him off and begin the process of moving forward.

Doesn't matter who the GM is, doesn't matter what the payroll is, doesn't matter who's traded for or what free agents are signed in the off-season; if Scioscia is managing this team next season it'll assuredly be more of the same - only then we'll be looking at 5 straight seasons without a playoff appearance and there'll be no recourse but to fire him at that point anyway. Do it now and get on with it.

I'm pretty much now on the Fire Scioscia bandwagon. This team needs new leadership. I'd like to give Dipoto one more offseason and see what he might do without the Scioscia friction.

That said, while I voted that Scioscia should go, I voted that Dipoto will go. Maybe that's more my fear, but I think one of the two will go and that its more likely it will be Dipoto, who is an easier scapegoat given the poor pitching staff. Plus its hard to ignore that $25 million owed to Scioscia.

AJ, I'm with you about Scioscia but Dipoto is going to need more than one more offseason to fix this team. It's pretty bad.

It all really depends on what's actually going on and the vision that would replace it. If there's really trouble between Scioscia and Dipoto, then obviously someone needs to go, and in that case, I'm saying at least Scioscia needs to go, because while I'm sympathetic to the fact that manager's jobs are heavily influenced by the decisions of the GM's, I think a team needs to ultimately be a GM's vision, and therefore managers need to be more subservient to that. Does that mean Dipoto has earned a continued chance? In an ideal world yes, but there's definitely questionable decisions here, and it's hard to be patient when this much money has been invested. So if I have to make a decision based on the little information we have, I say let Scioscia go, and only fire Dipoto if you have a good reliable replacement set up with a coherent and consistent vision for the entire organization (from scouting to ML manager.)

Does that mean Dipoto has earned a continued chance? In an ideal world yes, but there's definitely questionable decisions here, and it's hard to be patient when this much money has been invested.

There is increasing evidence that both the Pujols and Hamilton signings were Arte Moreno's calls, and the money committed to those two deals have severely limited what Jerry Dipoto could do about the pitching situation. Dipoto was a pitcher himself, and I'm sure that he knew going into the season that the Angels were in a tenuous position on the mound. Significant DL time by Weaver and Vargas depleted an already razor thin starting staff, and injuries in the bullpen further stretched what was at best a borderline relief corps. We joke about Dipoto dumpster diving for players to fill out the roster, but given our budgetary constraints (which are very real, despite what some people believe) and the weak farm system, I'm not sure what else he is to do.