• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

No excitement over grant green?

NrM

It's not that we aren't excited about Green. It has become very easy to even lose interest inTrout at this point. Angels baseball is the worst thing out there right now.

meh.. did you see the overreaction for kole calhoun? You would think he's the second coming of trout.

I'm moderately excited about Green. People seem to forget that he was a first round pick just four years ago, has good hitting skills and can play a position (3B) that the Angels have struggled to fill for years. This could be a trade that we look back on in a few years and want to clap Dipoto on the back for.

But like Angels N Skins said, its hard to see the signal for the noise. There are some things to like about this club, now and going forward, but its hard to separate it from the bad stuff.

I'm moderately excited about Green. People seem to forget that he was a first round pick just four years ago, has good hitting skills and can play a position (3B) that the Angels have struggled to fill for years. This could be a trade that we look back on in a few years and want to clap Dipoto on the back for.

But like Angels N Skins said, its hard to see the signal for the noise. There are some things to like about this club, now and going forward, but its hard to separate it from the bad stuff.

Drafted 19 picks before Trout. Good god..

HToo hesitant in the batters box, but confidence should come with experience.  Hit or miss defender.  Will miff a routine play and then make a spectacular grab.  Hopefully this evens out with experience as it did with Aybar.  Decent power for a middle infielder/Angels 3B, but it hasn't shown yet, but again, that's a byproduct of limited experience.  Decent enough speed on the basepaths, shorter approach to the ball, simple mechanics likely mean his athleticism should help him in the future.  

I'd say the Angels have a starter here.  For 2014, if Kendrick were dealt for SP or prospects, I wouldn't mind seeing Green platoon with Lindsey at 2B and Jimenez at 3B.  None would light the world on fire, but having Grant Green there would certainly stabilize the whole situation.  

I already want to give Jerry a high five for that deal.   

I wouldn't say that Green has no power. Sure, he hasn't demonstrated it over a small handful of MLB at-bats, but he put up some pretty good power numbers in the minors: In 4 years he had 20, 9, 15, and 11 homers, with a decent amount of doubles as well. For a middle infielder those are good power numbers at the minor league level. 

I haven't been able to see him play much, but he's been tearing it up so far in his short stint with the angels.

How has his defense looked?

I really think he can be a solid everyday player.

Green's athleticism is quite good, his footwork is often quite bad, which leads to flubbing some routine stuff and making some plays you wouldn't think he has a shot at.   Thing is, he's been playing a long time and his footwork is still bad -- I hope they move him to 3B where his height may come into play and out of 2B where the routine plays might make for some ugly defense.  

Here is another thing that confuses me about this team.  We trade our 3B for a younger player.  That's fine.  But we have both Howie now and Lindsay waiting in the wings yet this kid is playing almost exclusively at 2B where we clearly do not have a void.

Instead, we get the scrub merry-go-round at 3B and our next prospect is at least a couple of years away.

Somebody please explain...........

Here is another thing that confuses me about this team.  We trade our 3B for a younger player.  That's fine.  But we have both Howie now and Lindsay waiting in the wings yet this kid is playing almost exclusively at 2B where we clearly do not have a void.

Instead, we get the scrub merry-go-round at 3B and our next prospect is at least a couple of years away.

Somebody please explain...........

No one can explain the thought process with scioscia.

No one can explain the thought process with scioscia.

So, Mike Scioscia overruled the GM and brought up the guy he wanted to play 2B?  Did he also overrule the GM when he claimed Nelson off waivers?  Was it MS that called up Cowgill over Kalhoun first?  Does the GM have ANY control over player decisions or was he full of shit when he said he had the final say?   Owner overrules him on Hamilton, manager gets to decide who get's called up, so the only thing that was his decision seems to be letting Greinke go and bringing in the fearsome foursome...   But that's not his fault either cause there weren't any other options.  BTW, did MS orchestrate the Morales trade because let's be real, he seems to be the guy pulling all the strings according to people here.

So, Mike Scioscia overruled the GM and brought up the guy he wanted to play 2B?  Did he also overrule the GM when he claimed Nelson off waivers?  Was it MS that called up Cowgill over Kalhoun first?  Does the GM have ANY control over player decisions or was he full of shit when he said he had the final say?   Owner overrules him on Hamilton, manager gets to decide who get's called up, so the only thing that was his decision seems to be letting Greinke go and bringing in the fearsome foursome...   But that's not his fault either cause there weren't any other options.  BTW, did MS orchestrate the Morales trade because he's be real, he seems to be the guy pulling all the strings according to people here.

huh?

Scioscia makes the decisions on where and how often players play.

The GM has no control over that.

He only has 15 games at 3B, so I'm guessing they'd rather not just throw him into the pool and let him learn at the major league level.  I know people on the forum figure who cares, season is lost so just let guys play wherever, but that's not really how a team can approach things, even if the playoffs are a pipe dream at this point.  

They started him at 3B for 4 games at Salt Lake, so I'm assuming it's something they're interested in.  I'd be willing to bet he gets more reps there in spring next year if he puts up solid offensive numbers the remainder of this season.