• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Buy Outs of Manager's Contracts

stormngt

I need help.  With so much talk of Scioscia being fired or should be fired I have tried search online what managers have been fired that still was owed money on their contract.  I found a couple that were fired with one year left.  Bobby Valentine was fired after one year, so I assume he had a couple of years at least on his contract.  Scioscia has five years on his contract and is owed 25 million after this year.  I was wondering if any of your guys have the expertise to find out what was the largest buy out of a manager's contract?  Thanks for your help.

I doubt that you are going to find any examples or precedents. The epic stupidity of Scioscia's 10 year contract extension is something that has never been approached in baseball history, and won't be repeated any time soon.
Epic stupidity often costs epic money.
Scioscia should be grateful for the time he has had here, and offer Arte a reasonable out.

If he holds Arte over a barrel for his entire contract and every penny owed him, my low opinion of him as a manager, will extend to him as a person, too.

I doubt that you are going to find any examples or precedents. The epic stupidity of Scioscia's 10 year contract extension is something that has never been approached in baseball history, and won't be repeated any time soon.

Scioscia should be grateful for the time he has had here, and offer Arte a reasonable out.

If he holds Arte over a barrel for his entire contract and every penny owed him, my low opinion of him as a manager, will extend to him as a person, too.

yea right lol

Manager contracts are not covered by the MLPA and are not generally available to the public.

The full terms are mostly only known between the FO, the managers, and their respective lawyers.

That can pretty much be said of any contract in baseball, LOL.

Sorry but would you expect any player to return money on their contracts? Completely unrealistic view. Not to say it hasn't happened, just unrealistic. It could happen as Rageous suggested.

Sorry but would you expect any player to return money on their contracts? Completely unrealistic view. Not to say it hasn't happened, just unrealistic. It could happen as Rageous suggested.

If he wants to manage elsewhere, he will need to accept a buyout in some form.

If not, then he can enforce the contract and go home to Thousand Oaks and trim roses or work on his cooking skills I guess

Took a look through the AL, and the longest anyone's ever gotten (current managers) is 5 years.  even guys that have been there forever, like Gardenhire has only been getting 2 year contracts.

Thank you, further proof that Arte and Reagins acted like idiots that day

Yes Scioscia had 5 post-season appearances from 2002-2008, but only TWO ALCS appearances.

What was so special that he got the biggest contract for managers in MLB history?

Thank you, further proof that Arte and Reagins acted like idiots that day

Yes Scioscia had 5 post-season appearances from 2002-2008, but only TWO ALCS appearances.

What was so special that he got the biggest contract for managers in MLB history?

Compromising pictures of Arte? :P

If you want to remove Sosh from the dugout, move Sosh out of the dugout.   He can remain an employee of the Angels in another capacity, probably sitting where Tony Reagins sat.  If he wants to manage, he can request another arraingment that does not include collecting $25M from the Angels over the next five seasons.

That is absolutely silly.  "Scioscia should be grateful for the time he had with the Angels so he should be 'reasonable and offer Arte a reasonable out".

From Scioscia's perspective:  "the Angels should be grateful of the time I managed the Angels.  The franchise had its most successful period ever.  I won more games as and Angel manager than anyone on.   I am the only Angel manager with a winning record.  I won a WS, and four division titles".  The mere fact that people want him fired is a show of ingratitude.  The Braves didn't fire Bobby Cox for missing the playoffs four straight years.

You have a low opinion of him as a manager to begin with so it doesn't surprise me you would make this comment.

They can always move him to another position think he may make a great overpaid bullpen coach.

That is not necessarily true.  Yes, some managerial contracts allow the manager to be moved to a new position.  However, those are usually contracts of young unproven managers who are not in as high demand.  The mere fact that they offered Sosh a 10 year contract with his option to opt out tells me Sosh was in demand by the Angels and those type of contracts makes it explicit that his job duties are to be manager.  That is why there are often buy outs!  

I see where you're going Storm, but did the Braves have two mediocre seasons in those 4 seasons like we are having now?   Didn't they contend in all 4 of those seasons?

It would be nice to know what the mindset of the Braves' fans were in that period.

I salute Scioscia for what he did from 2002-2009.   But, I guess we'll never know how much Maddon, Black, and Stoneman truly helped in that timeframe.

Edit:  Cox's post-seasonless stretch came just before he retired as manager.    Maybe Scioscia is feeling the same lack of energy that led Cox to retire?

He will accept some sort of buyout.

Otherwise he will not be able to accept any other manager job during the next five years.

You are right.  However, too many here think a buy out is relatively cheap.  That isn't so.  Most buy outs are anywhere between 50-80% of the original contract.  For Sosh that is anywhere between 12.5 million to 20 million that Arte would have to pony up just to have Sosh not manage.  The only time I know of a buy out at 50% of contractual value was when the coach in question had a convicted drunk driving incident.

There is no doubt in my mind if Sosh had one or maybe two years on his contract he would be fired.  Moreno really can't keep the status quo.  However, with five years remaining I doubt Sosh is the guy moved.

They could try to make Sosh life miserable such as firing his coaching staff might encourage Sosh to leave.  OR they could try the White Sox approach and make a trade.  I doubt Sosh doesn't have a no trade clause.

If they can fire Hacker, why not Butcher?

My guess is that Scioscia blew up after Hatchy was canned. More happened there than we know about, imo.

Unless Scioscia agrees that Butchy needs to go, he will stay.

Period.

No other reason for him not being canned before now.