• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Enjoy Trout While He's Still Here

ghoetke

20 years from now, when he's going into the HOF, people will be asking, "What? He came up with the Angels? How the hell did they let him get away?"

The answer will go as followed, "Well he was screwing around on the internet one day and came across a website called AngelsWin, he was so embarrassed that he immediately asked to be traded".

If Trout leaves, it will not be because the Angels "low-balled" him.  I think the way Weaver was handled might be the way Trout will be handled.  If he wants to stay an Angel, he will be paid, it is a non-issue.  He represents the "franchise player" Arte made reference to during the Texiera negotiations.  If he wants to go, he will be traded.  I think his value to the organization is too great to have him simply leave as a free agent.  I would be surprised to see Arte make the same mistake as St Louis did during contract negotiations with Pujols.  Which leads me to a totally different topic, Why he F did we sign Hamilton?

I think they will just release him I mean what's the point. The Angels want to be losers and he is obviously a winner. I just wanted to see if I could possibly post something more idiotic than the OP.

I think Arte should just tell him that he will inherit everything Arte owns when Arte dies, including the team.  That's a win/win, we get Trout for his lifetime, and we get a new owner to punch around.  Ha, that's more idiotic than your post or the OP. 

It's not always about the money. The kid would probably like to experience the playoffs. You know those games that the Angels used to be allowed to play in back in the day?

I will make a bet that the Angels make the playoffs before Trout becomes a free agent.

I get that it's a pessimistic point of view, but in the other thread you stated that you have no faith in Arte and Dipoto's decision making ability, so don't you have to be a little pessimistic about them locking him up?  Look at how the team has treated Trout so far.  He has one of the greatest rookie seasons of all time, and then:

1) they nickel and dime him on a raise, making him embarrassinngly underpaid.

2) he's moved from his preferred defensive position (where he excelled and made numerous highlight reel catches) to start the year and is only playing CF now because of injuries.

3) his lineup spot has changed often over the course of the season

4) his running game has been stifled somewhat in order to not take away RBI opportunities from guys who aren't driving him in anyway

Combine these things with the fact that he's on the other side of the country from his hometown/family, playing the majority of his games on the west coast where there is less national exposure, on a bad team with past their prime players and awful contracts and the worst farm system in baseball . . ..  I don't think it's a stretch to imagine Trout leaving in a few years.  To completely dismiss the idea is to bury your head in the sand somewhat, IMO.

A kid, perhaps the most talented player in baseball since the Mick, with the boundless energy and winning enthusiam of youth, wants to stay with his team because:

1.  His team lowballed him with a 20K raise for having the best rookie season ever and nearly being MLB MVP...while the team shells out hundreds of millions of dollars on extended contracts for old, washed up players

2.  He continues to get left on base by those same old, washed up players in the lineup right behind him

3.  His team, 4th in a 5 team division, has limited flexibility to turn things around because of horrific mega-contracts, a gutted farm system, a stoic manager busily turning pages, and a pitching staff rapidly becoming among the worst in MLB

no doubt

Both of these. If we don't start respecting Trout as who he is, a once in a generational talent, we'll lose him in a heartbeat.

Using the Weaver analogy is not equal.  Or close.

Weav's whole life was and is out here and he had expressed, at every chance he had, how much he wanted to stay here.  And it was painfully different than when every player alive always says the right thing about wanting to stay with their current team.

And never mind that all of baseball was surprised at just how much of a hometown discount he gave the Angels.

We have no idea what Trout's drivers are.  Winning a ring?  Playing on a relevant team and experiencing the playoffs a lot?  Being close to home?

Hopefully he stays but this has no similarities to Weaver. 

Since his family is in NJ, you never know. 

Pinstripes *throws holy water on my keyboard* are never out of the equation - even with papa S no longer around.

I really hope Arte opens his bank account and signs perhaps one of the best players in baseball history to a long-term deal -- more than what he gave the Albert Pujols -- this offseason to end this conversation.

If this team is not willing to offer more than what they offered Albert Pujols I truly question the sanity of current leadership. We should not have to wait until a player is 30 to offer massive deals in the post amphedemine era.

But YoT you could literally sign him for much less money for ten years. You could probably still get him for 10 years $175 million. You would be buying out four arb years, and six free agent years. He would be set up for life and not have the injury risk. Hell make it $175 million with a five year club option at the end for $30 million a piece. His agent would not ever let him pass this up at this point in his career.

I really hope Arte opens his bank account and signs perhaps one of the best players in baseball history to a long-term deal -- more than what he gave the Albert Pujols -- this offseason to end this conversation.

If this team is not willing to offer more than what they offered Albert Pujols I truly question the sanity of current leadership. We should not have to wait until a player is 30 to offer massive deals in the post amphedemine era.

Honestly -- that's what they need to do -- maybe not at AP money.   Sign him at age 22 to a 10 year contract averaging between 19.5 and 21.5 mil with two option years that kick in automatically based on career milestones.  They would have him locked up through age 32 at worst and through age 34 should he be the monster he is projecting to be.

Anywhere north of what Buster Posey got would likely be the sweet spot.

I am so glad a majority of you aren't GMs or owners. You think Arte/DiPoto are bad at throwing money around?

Is Trout worth 19-21M per year? Of course. Can you sign him for 10 years at an AAS of 15-17M per year this off-season? Absolutely.

Would that be "low-balling" him? F--- no!!

I wish Trout was traded already, he doesnt belong here.  Hes a superstar wasting away his talent on a .440 team, being chained to the bases and surrounded by prima donnoa role models and bad coaching staff.  This team has no chance of being a winning ball club for years unless we do what is needed to be done and roll the dice with some freshly imported prospects.

Guys against trading him can have fun watching him hit HRs in games were we lose 9-4.  The best game of the year so far for this team was the one where Schuck, Calhoun and the other rookies won it for us.  The A's and Rangers get to see this quite often with all their callups, and the Rays have proven that their winning is not a fluke.  Youth is the new way to win in post steroid era, and we have one big chance to get it.

I am so glad a majority of you aren't GMs or owners. You think Arte/DiPoto are bad at throwing money around?

Is Trout worth 19-21M per year? Of course. Can you sign him for 10 years at an AAS of 15-17M per year this off-season? Absolutely.

Would that be "low-balling" him? F--- no!!

Call me stupid but I doubt he would ever give that much of his FA away for 15-17 mil..  There isn't agent alive that wouldn't point at the 8 year 120 million dollar deal Elvis Adrus just got from the Rangers that's averaging 15 mil per and scoff at the offer.  Ryan Howard was making 15 mil per year in his 4th year in the league -- in 2009.   He was a ROY in his first season, and the NL MVP in his second.  Posey likewise was the ROY and then the MVP in his second season full season.   Those two are the points of reference IMO.  I would love it if the Angels could work a Evan Longoria deal with Trout, but the state of the team and his East coast ties, seem like legit issues.  

Ten years at 15-17 seems like wishful thinking and while it wouldn't be low-balling, it would be asking a lot of him to give away 5 years of free agency for that.  Just isn't realistic IMO.

I wish Trout was traded already, he doesnt belong here.  Hes a superstar wasting away his talent on a .440 team, being chained to the bases and surrounded by prima donnoa role models and bad coaching staff.  This team has no chance of being a winning ball club for years unless we do what is needed to be done and roll the dice with some freshly imported prospects.

Guys against trading him can have fun watching him hit HRs in games were we lose 9-4.  The best game of the year so far for this team was the one where Schuck, Calhoun and the other rookies won it for us.  The A's and Rangers get to see this quite often with all their callups, and the Rays have proven that their winning is not a fluke.  Youth is the new way to win in post steroid era, and we have one big chance to get it.

So the way to win is to have young guys who can play and your idea is to trade away the youngest guy that plays best.

How much do you love lamp?