• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

There is no quick fix here....

No real significant talent in the minors close to being big league ready, huge contracts to underperforming veterans, Weaver and Wilson aging....it could be years before we truly contend again. Going to have to draft well. I don't see us making the playoffs with the current core (Aybar, Howie, Frieri, Iannetta, etc.). I think you sell those guys off, and try to regroup for 2016 and beyond with cost controlled prospects.

The fact that I think they should do this means Arte will probably sign Cano and every other big name free agent the next 3 years though. I've had enough "winning the offseason" for a lifetime. I think it's time to make smarter financial investments in young players IMO>

The two starting pitchers are easier said than done.    Unless Williams can build on the good starts he's had this season, and be more consistent as a starter in 2014, and they can either sign a Garza (only if bottom 10 MLB finish in 2013 to protect 1st pick) or hope Richards can develop some kind of consistency. 

It'll be hard to trade for a starting pitcher in the off-season, as teams are being more protective of them.

Geez, I wish Reagins was like that, and didn't trade Corbin, Skaggs, and Torres away.

in a way i hope they don't blow up this team. although at this point any change would be good.

we need to get lucky with some drafted pitching as oakland, tampa and sf always do. and more importantly, give them an honest shot at playing.

position players will be there.

man, with just a little more pitching and our murderers row offense( at least potentially) we could challenge.

looking at this season i think its too easy to want to destroy this team.

Vargas is the key. We need to re-sign him. I think we have to give Richards a long-term chance next season and pick up another guy. A lot of questions. Do we give Hanson another shot? Williams? We can't have Hanson/Richards/Williams. Can Green be our third baseman or do we give Cowart a shot?

Like I said in another post, Dipoto will have to take a lot less risks when it comes to the bullpen arms in the offseason. More than anything, we need to get this right. If we have to trade for someone consistent, then I think we should. 

The offense? We have to hope Hamilton and Pujols are healthy and pick it up. Unless we make any trades, I think the offense stays as is.

The two starting pitchers are easier said than done. Unless Williams can build on the good starts he's had this season, and be more consistent as a starter in 2014, and they can either sign a Garza (only if bottom 10 MLB finish in 2013 to protect 1st pick) or hope Richards can develop some kind of consistency.

It'll be hard to trade for a starting pitcher in the off-season, as teams are being more protective of them.

Geez, I wish Reagins was like that, and didn't trade Corbin, Skaggs, and Torres away.

JP needs to sign Garza or Vargas in the off season. Then you have Hanson, Williams, Richards, and Blanton .

Blanton may work better as long relief in the bullpen.

Way too many assumptions in your post.

This team's weaknesses are so illuminated after the past two seasons that I believe Dipoto will fix them HIS way this offseason. Maybe even this month.

What's his way? Implying he hasn't done it his way this whole time?

Way too many assumptions in your post.

This team's weaknesses are so illuminated after the past two seasons that I believe Dipoto will fix them HIS way this offseason. Maybe even this month.

Pujols, Aybar and Lucho will all be on the 2014 opening day roster. Its Alberts team. To many cooks in the kitchen.

Our bench was my biggest worry going into the season ... you hit the nail on the head!

Hopefully some of our minor league players are more ready next season or JP needs to shop.

And where will the minor leaguers play? Borenstein and Snyder are blocked. Yarbrough and Lindsey are blocked. Cron and Grichuk are blocked. Stamets is blocked. Hamilton and Pujols are killing your team in a variety of ways. Your good minor league prospects will be traded away just like Segura and Corbin were.

If Hamilton could just hit anywhere nears his norm in 2014 through July 2015, they could then possibly deal him to someone else with just 2 1/3 seasons left on his deal (and yes include say $20-25 million in the deal) to make room for one of the talents on the farm.  

In the meantime, unless Hamilton starts hitting like he did from 2008-2012, that signing did hurt the progression long term of various OF/DH talents in the org. 

And where will the minor leaguers play? Borenstein and Snyder are blocked. Yarbrough and Lindsey are blocked. Cron and Grichuk are blocked. Stamets is blocked. Hamilton and Pujols are killing your team in a variety of ways. Your good minor league prospects will be traded away just like Segura and Corbin were.

Most of those guys are still in A ball, I wouldn't really call them "blocked" until they get through a year or two in the Texas League and prove they can hang.  Lindsey is in line to take over second once Howie is gone, he isn't blocked.  Yarbrough will likely be a utility guy or a bench player unless his plate discipline evolves; 18 BB's in nearly 500 PA's is not the heat especially with Lindsey around.  Same with Cron, he's been mediocre at best this season.  Grichuk is hitting in the .230's in AA.  Aybar's only under contract until 2015 and Stamets is in A ball as well, he isn't blocked.

Every organization has a surplus in something, it isn't like it's unusual.  Cream rises to the top in most cases, or guys get traded.  Such is baseball.