• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gaining velocity

I know everyone noticed Tommy Hanson suddenly throwing hard again the other night, but it turns out that almost across the board, Angel pitchers are gaining velocity. After 2012 when it was pretty much the exact opposite, it makes one wonder if this is just coincidence or if the Angels are actually doing something different in terms of training, coaching or preparation.

You may now commence your various comments about how it couldn't possibly be anything Butcher is doing.

If this is true it could be huge for the rotation.

The problem is it could also mean that his shoulder is going to disintegrate. That's why the Braves had him alter his mechanics in the first place.

But, believe it or not, this means the Angels actually do have SOMEONE doing some fine pitching coach work. They had Hanson make this adjustment. De La Rosa says he had his mechanics adjusted to cause his spike in velocity and Weaver made a change to his arm slot to recover his lost fastball. Maybe we shouldn't bury Mike Butcher just yet.

The problem is it could also mean that his shoulder is going to disintegrate. That's why the Braves had him alter his mechanics in the first place.

But, believe it or not, this means the Angels actually do have SOMEONE doing some fine pitching coach work. They had Hanson make this adjustment. De La Rosa says he had his mechanics adjusted to cause his spike in velocity and Weaver made a change to his arm slot to recover his lost fastball. Maybe we shouldn't bury Mike Butcher just yet.

It definitely looks like it will help him get his velocity back to where it was, but as you said, his shoulder is going to get destroyed at some point, which is why I don't want the Halos committing long term to this guy at all.

Hanson's definitely someone to watch for the remainder of the year.  If his velocity sits 87 and he isn't hitting his spots, the Angels would be better off non-tendering him or trading him if at all possible.  But if he can maintain a velocity of 91+, I say keep him around until that shoulder disintegrates, if it does.  Because if he's throwing that hard, it makes his off-speed stuff all the more effective, gives catchers a fighting chance against runners and helps cover up command shortcomings.  Suddenly, he'd be a solid #3/4 starter. 

As for DDLR, I just hope his arm doesn't detach from over-use.  Scioscia's ridden him all year long and it's awfully hard to picture him sustaining this sort of performance across this many innings in the long term. 

I am thinking that Hanson almost definitely is in the plans for next year considering he is under club control and won't be that expensive to retain given his performance the last couple of seasons. I would guess we see Weaver, CJ, Hanson, Richards and either Vargas (signed to an extension) or an arm that we trade for. The question really is then, who do we trade for? What I am guessing happens is we trade for an arm and sign a veteran guy for depth, that way we aren't having the Roths, Buckners and Enrights of the world making starts for us.

If Hanson's new mechanics keep him back into the low-mid 90's again without his arm falling off, then our rotation looks pretty decent going into next year if we can keep Vargas or add someone equivalent.  Having more depth is what they sorely need, since his durability is sketchy and Richards is still a big question mark.