• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When did the All-Star Game become boring?

At the risk of a Craig (I did look first), I have to say that I detest the All-Star Game. It's not just that it was a 3-0 snoozefest, but that it got in the way of actual baseball. I used to like the All-Star Game, but I think what killed it for me was the advent of interleague play - or maybe the ridiculous 7-7 tie in 2002. It's no longer that novel for some of these guys to face each other. Add to that it's a meaningless exhibition and every team needs to be represented and... it lost a lot of its luster. Honestly, I would have rather seen a regular season Angels game tonight even though the team is under .500.

I don't care about the tie. I didn't lose interest because of that.

One reason I lost interest was inter league play. Another reason is that the rosters are too big. They are not ALL stars. They are some stars and some pretty good players. Along with the expanded rosters is the fact that too many players are playing. I want to see the starters going most of the game. The pitchers need to increase their workload. Finally, the players are too friendly. They don't care about beating the other side at all. Everyone stops to applaud Rivera. Pete Rose wouldn't have done that.

I love the idea of the All-Star Game, in that it gets the players together without all the day-to-day pressure.  I like seeing the interactions and camaraderie.  I even watch the Celebrity/Old-timers softball game, tho "Miss America" is an atrocious ballplayer.  I think MLB misses the boat by not bringing back younger ex-MLB players for this; I'd like to see Kingfish hit a softball 350'!

For me, the problem is that the game is top heavy with pitching. As I said in another thread, you have all these stud starters and multiple closers, and it has just about killed all the offense in these games. These pitchers deserve to be there, but if you're looking for a game with lots of hits and runs, that time is gone. I don't really have any ideas on how to fix it, either, unless pitchers like Blanton are put into the game,

Let's get one thing straight. The game would not be better if it was 12-10 versus 1-0. It's not about offense. It's... why do I care about this waste of time? I may as well watch winter ball if I all I wanna see weird matchups. There is no spectacle. Quite frankly, its a drudgery. The NBA All-Star Game has also succumbed to this for whatever reason. Too many players is a good possible explanation. The guy you want to see gets one at bat or never even gets into the game. It's not two "teams." It's a bunch of pinch hitters and relievers. Make it harder to get on the team and play the guys that get there more innings.

I loved the game tonight. Pitching is always entertaining to me. I'll take a duel over a slugfest any day.

When I think of a pitching duel, I think of two dominant starters who perfect their craft going after each batter pitch for pitch.

There were 18 pitchers in this year's All Star Game (none of which lasted more than 2 innings.) It's a joke and the fact that it decides which league has home field advantage for the WS is pathetic. Add in the fact that some of these guys will be suspended for using PEDs as soon as Major League Baseball can cash it's ASG revenue check makes both the players and the owners look like assholes.

There's a bright side though... at least Trout didn't spike himself tonight.

When I think of a pitching duel, I think of two dominant starters who perfect their craft going after each batter pitch for pitch.

There were 18 pitchers in this year's All Star Game (none of which lasted more than 2 innings.) It's a joke and the fact that it decides which league has home field advantage for the WS is pathetic. Add in the fact that some of these guys will be suspended for using PEDs as soon as Major League Baseball can cash it's ASG revenue check makes both the players and the owners look like assholes.

There's a bright side though... at least Trout didn't spike himself tonight.

I agree with everything you said, but it looks like nobody is going to serve a suspension until 2014. 

http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/topic/5717-union-bans-will-be-served-in-2014/

I don't quite know why I've lost interest in the ASG (or when I did, but it's been years).  I guess as I'm getting older baseball is having less of a place in my life, and the ASG is expendable viewing.