• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout to have Knee Surgery

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is not whether he deserved 3 MVPs, but if he deserved one or two more. 

After 2019--his last truly great year--he had the highest WAR through his age season (27) of any player in baseball history. There was speculation about whether he could challenge Ruth and Bonds for most WAR ever, or at least make it into the hallowed 140 WAR club. The idea was: What if Mantle didn't have a chronic injury and alcoholism? Mantle, at his very best, was better than Mays - but Mays ended up with the better overall career (and really, wasn't that far behind in terms of peak level). 

But that dream is gone. Even just a year or two ago, it still seemed like he could maintain some of that level, and end up having a "Mantle+" career. Now I'm not even sure if he can do that, and he seems more like "Griffey+." His peak was better than Griffey's, but he seems to be having a similar second act. Griffey's last 10 years--2001-10--saw him play 991 games, but only 3.9 WAR.

I did a couple studies speculating about Trout's aging patterns, looking at comps. I kept trying to squint just right to manifest a Mays-ian career arc, but my initial fears--that he was more Pujols/Griffey than Mays/Aaron--seem to unfortunately be coming to fruition.

18 hours ago, larueskee said:

A few years ago I mentioned the same issues about Trout's greatness being overrated. He should have never won 3 MVPs based on his lack of any post season resume. Enjoy the story. Mike Trout's injuries are carving into Hall of Fame legacy: Where Angels slugger stacks up against greats (msn.com)

Not clicking the link and giving your article a visit.

retard-alert-south-park.gif

On 5/1/2024 at 8:35 PM, larueskee said:

A few years ago I mentioned the same issues about Trout's greatness being overrated. He should have never won 3 MVPs based on his lack of any post season resume. Enjoy the story. Mike Trout's injuries are carving into Hall of Fame legacy: Where Angels slugger stacks up against greats (msn.com)

RDT_20230121_0158242754772598954619.jpg

13 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

The question is not whether he deserved 3 MVPs, but if he deserved one or two more. 

After 2019--his last truly great year--he had the highest WAR through his age season (27) of any player in baseball history. There was speculation about whether he could challenge Ruth and Bonds for most WAR ever, or at least make it into the hallowed 140 WAR club. The idea was: What if Mantle didn't have a chronic injury and alcoholism? Mantle, at his very best, was better than Mays - but Mays ended up with the better overall career (and really, wasn't that far behind in terms of peak level). 

But that dream is gone. Even just a year or two ago, it still seemed like he could maintain some of that level, and end up having a "Mantle+" career. Now I'm not even sure if he can do that, and he seems more like "Griffey+." His peak was better than Griffey's, but he seems to be having a similar second act. Griffey's last 10 years--2001-10--saw him play 991 games, but only 3.9 WAR.

I did a couple studies speculating about Trout's aging patterns, looking at comps. I kept trying to squint just right to manifest a Mays-ian career arc, but my initial fears--that he was more Pujols/Griffey than Mays/Aaron--seem to unfortunately be coming to fruition.

Appreciate the thought and research you put into this post. Have seem the Griffey comp a lot over the past couple days and it feels very real.

I really wonder if the best scenario for the rest of Trout's career is moving him to LF, on a team where he doesn't put all the pressure on himself as the main/only big dog, and telling him to chill the fuck out and not try to carry the team. Like a Manny Ramirez playing #2 or #3 to David Ortiz, or whoever else those Sox teams had. 

I'm actually glad we have Adell because as frustrating as he is sometimes, he has that level of potential where he could become such a star it takes some spotlight off Trout.

We just need more guys. Trout can't be the guy.

7 hours ago, samwum said:

Appreciate the thought and research you put into this post. Have seem the Griffey comp a lot over the past couple days and it feels very real.

I really wonder if the best scenario for the rest of Trout's career is moving him to LF, on a team where he doesn't put all the pressure on himself as the main/only big dog, and telling him to chill the fuck out and not try to carry the team. Like a Manny Ramirez playing #2 or #3 to David Ortiz, or whoever else those Sox teams had. 

I'm actually glad we have Adell because as frustrating as he is sometimes, he has that level of potential where he could become such a star it takes some spotlight off Trout.

We just need more guys. Trout can't be the guy.

I agree with you about moving him to LF. But I don't think it would matter who was on the team or what team he was on - he'd put the same pressure on himself, regardless. 

I "wonder" if Stephen A. Smith was inferring to any nefarious cause with his rant against Trout...hmmm...

https://www.si.com/mlb/2024/05/02/mike-trout-injury-stephen-a-smith-rant-blasted-baseball-fans

The guy I've always compared to Trout is Mickey Mantle. Trout even physically resembles the Mick, who also blasted so many homers, was a speed demon in the OF, won tons of awards and unfortunately, had an injury-riddled career. A big difference was that Mantle was a 7x World Series champion. The Yankees ownership surrounded Mantle with an all-star lineup. Arte surrounded Trout with maybe a handpicked star or two, who never worked out as a long-term Angel. The shame of it all, Trout's Angels have never won a post-season series. It's all on Moreno who has got to sell one of these years. He's the worst owner in MLB.

1 hour ago, Chico said:

I "wonder" if Stephen A. Smith was inferring to any nefarious cause with his rant against Trout...hmmm...

https://www.si.com/mlb/2024/05/02/mike-trout-injury-stephen-a-smith-rant-blasted-baseball-fans

The guy I've always compared to Trout is Mickey Mantle. Trout even physically resembles the Mick, who also blasted so many homers, was a speed demon in the OF, won tons of awards and unfortunately, had an injury-riddled career. A big difference was that Mantle was a 7x World Series champion. The Yankees ownership surrounded Mantle with an all-star lineup. Arte surrounded Trout with maybe a handpicked star or two, who never worked out as a long-term Angel. The shame of it all, Trout's Angels have never won a post-season series. It's all on Moreno who has got to sell one of these years. He's the worst owner in MLB.

Fans of the Oakland A's would disagree. 

1 minute ago, greginpsca said:

When is the surgery. The sooner he gets the surgery, the sooner he get back to playing. I hope it doesn't  take a month to get it done.

It usually only takes about 45 minutes.

28 minutes ago, cals said:

I like how everyone else was doing a fine job of shutting this dude down and then you prance in with your poofy gif making everyone look worse.

Violet Chachki Whatever GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

On 5/1/2024 at 8:44 PM, Tank said:

you know they vote based on how he plays during the season, not the post season, right? and the voting ends when the regular season ends. thus, the playoffs don't factor into the discussion.

The Angels don't win in the regular season either. MVP awards are supposed to be awarded to the player that makes the team they play for competitive. No team Trout has played on as been competitive. No pennants= no post seasons. They should take Trout's MVPs away. No player should win a MVP if his team finished last or near last in their division.

2 hours ago, larueskee said:

The Angels don't win in the regular season either. MVP awards are supposed to be awarded to the player that makes the team they play for competitive. No team Trout has played on as been competitive. No pennants= no post seasons. They should take Trout's MVPs away. No player should win a MVP if his team finished last or near last in their division.

This isn't basketball

2 hours ago, larueskee said:

Thanks for your opinion that is meaningless since that isn’t how they choose the MVP. 

5 hours ago, larueskee said:

not 100% true. the 2014 team won the west with 98 wins (iirc). 

obviously the mvp voters disagree with you on what constitutes the player most valuable to his team. it's hard to measure value, and most voters seem to vote mostly based on stats. the years they don't vote on stats - like the years kirk gibson and barry larkin won - fans throw a fit.