• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ron Washington hopes fans don't give up on the team

12 hours ago, ScottM said:

Ron got handed an absolute shit sandwich up and down the organization. I'm not surprised he's already letting things fly. 

In the Angels defense, it's not like this all came out of nowhere.  You'd have to think he was going to be with a bunch of bums

I didn't have much of an issue with what he said. I mean, no matter what he couldn't win with questioning like that. I also didn't take that as him saying Angel fans are front runners at all. 

What I have an issue with is the product on the field considering last we heard from the organization is that they are trying to compete this year. So either the organization has no clue what a competitive team looks like or they are lying to their fans. Neither are a good look. 

7 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

In the Angels defense, it's not like this all came out of nowhere.  You'd have to think he was going to be with a bunch of bums

He was well aware. Considering it was a bit of a surprise he took the job, I have a feeling he was pitched about needing to change the culture and style of play and that he was the guy to make it happen. For Wash, he is coming to his end in the game and he likely saw this as an opportunity to "leave his mark" on the game and change an organization moving forward. I would really like to know what they told him about Ohtani and the possibility of him staying. 

This team was never going to be a pennant winner, probably not even a wild card contender. That's okay by me because what they are is a younger nucleus that, if Moreno doesn't upset it all for quick fixes, will develop into a division winner. But if you are looking for wins this year you may want to change allegiance to another team because this is going to be a rough year.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

This team was never going to be a pennant winner, probably not even a wild card contender. That's okay by me because what they are is a younger nucleus that, if Moreno doesn't upset it all for quick fixes, will develop into a division winner. But if you are looking for wins this year you may want to change allegiance to another team because this is going to be a rough year.

That’s how I see it as well, as do a number of other posters here. The issue I have is the messaging from the team. Don’t tell me before ST that you’re going to “Run the AL West down,” then later say, “We may not have the best personnel,” and that you hope the fans have patience. It makes it seem like there is miscommunication somewhere along the line. Be clear on what the mission is. Say you’re rebuilding. Sell us on the development of these exciting players.

Well, to be fair, would you expect Wash came out and said.. 

"We're dogshit, we have a bad contract we can't move due to the players injury history, our Best Player doesn't have the same trade value as his contract due to his injuries. We lost a TORA and MOB and ownership wasn't going to replace him to remain competitive. So, what you see is what you get. We can improve our defensive inadequacies by repetitive practice and working on our fundamentals. Our pitching is going to have to work to be more consistent within the strikezone while pitching to contact and keeping the ball in the yard. Our hitting will come, as overall we're a young team that will take time to improve and be more consistent as the youth learns their abilities within the game. This could get ugly... But, I promise, before I leave here and retire they will have a good framework to build upon"...

That's not sexy, it's not pretty, that's where we're at.

Also, Chuck would have to rebrand the website name to Angelsmeh.com... 

I jest! Kind of....

Rick Astley GIF

19 hours ago, T.G. said:

"We're going to be about it."

Well... we'd rather watch a winner than listen to one.

It would achieve a lot of they would just be honest with us as fans.
None of the "there are no limits", or the other silliness weve been told year after year... IF we lose fans that will be the why.
I supported this team when it was horrible, i will again, but i wont support being played and/or lied to. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

It would achieve a lot of they would just be honest with us as fans.
None of the "there are no limits", or the other silliness weve been told year after year... IF we lose fans that will be the why.
I supported this team when it was horrible, i will again, but i wont support being played and/or lied to. 

I agree with some of this. I definitely think it would help fans and the players as well if they backed off some of this “we intend to win and compete” narrative they push this year when it’s obviously a transition year, but it does go both ways a bit too. Fans, even casual ones, should have some understanding and be smart enough to recognize that without it being spelled out to them. 

For a while now, once it became clear Shohei was gone, the only wins I was interested in seeing in 2024 weren’t showing up on Standings, but rather how Neto, O’Hoppe, Schanuel, Detmers, and now Adell were doing, if Trout could return to form, and if Drury, Estevez, and Anderson could play well enough to be good trade bait come July.

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I agree with some of this. I definitely think it would help fans and the players as well if they backed off some of this “we intend to win and compete” narrative they push this year when it’s obviously a transition year, but it does go both ways a bit too. Fans, even casual ones, should have some understanding and be smart enough to recognize that without it being spelled out to them. 

For a while now, once it became clear Shohei was gone, the only wins I was interested in seeing in 2024 weren’t showing up on Standings, but rather how Neto, O’Hoppe, Schanuel, Detmers, and now Adell were doing, if Trout could return to form, and if Drury, Estevez, and Anderson could play well enough to be good trade bait come July.

It was clear to the fans what this team was, and yet they insisted it was something else.  Before the last few years they never outright lied to us.  Thats what i take exception to.
I dont expect them to lay out the entire plan, but a little honestly and a lot less patronizing wouldnt suck.

There are only so many cliches in sports. For both good and bad scenarios. Every manager draws from the same database in media talk and sprinkles in  some personal  specifics about whatever the current situation is about. 

Washington simply is saying that the team will improve after a tough start. Everything else is just filler content referencing things till now. 

I've followed all time great dynasties in their glory years (Canadiens, Forty Niners) and haven't given up on them through their lean and rebuilding years. 

But having lived through historically great championship years does compensate somewhat for the bad times. There's always hope that the spark can be re-ignited with the right chemistry and personnel. Under savvy management. 

I also followed the Expos from attending their first game to the dissolution of the franchise after it was stripped bare and sold off. No championships, two strikes ruining their best seasons. At least I lived thousands of miles away by then. But all those years literally disappeared into rapidly eroding memories. 

I adopted the Angels about twenty five years ago.Just as they were getting close to their series win. But I even had a hat with the halo soon after they came into the league. And kept informed about their seasons. I don't enjoy the current loop of disappointment of the last ten years, but the game is still the game. Each day you try and adopt the Ernie Banks attitude. Go out there and try to win.Even as the underdog. Try and enjoy the chess match of strategy, the players, and the skills. 

As long as full effort and hustle is prominent you at least feel that watching the game wasn't a waste of time. If other teams are better they likely will win, but rooting for upsets adds some interest. And even the best teams lose around 60 times or more, so any given game is ripe for an upset. 

Funny thing about this thread is that earlier today I was going to post a hopeful Trout bit, saying that his BABIP was .194, which implies he's been unlucky and could take off. Oh well - that ide aged about as bad as Ron Washington's chastisement.