• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will this be the season that the Halos finally lose 100 games or more?

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Time for total rebuild trade the few players that can bring back prospects. Trade Ward also problem Angels have very little of any value.

Yes trade prospects that can be anything.  They can even be 24 year old Reid Detmers!

Reid Detmers is the type of player the Angels need to be acquiring (somehow), not trading.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

This team is really bad. I wonder where do they go from here. Who do u trade maybe Ward maybe Detmers. Other value on team a few BP pieces but they are just rentals. Feel bad Washington at his age with a team this bad. Nothing in minors to bring up and help and poor Trout stuck with this team for another what 6 or 7 years. 

Feel bad for Washington? He's made millions in baseball and if he couldn't see what was on the roster when he took the job, that's his fault.

I like Wash, too. But he's been in baseball long enough to know the deal. 

1 minute ago, AngelFanInTheATL said:

Feel bad for Washington? He's made millions in baseball and if he couldn't see what was on the roster when he took the job, that's his fault.

Exactly. I don't feel bad for him at all. And for all the talk about what he was going to bring to the team, what the focus areas for improvement would be, etc., there's not a ton of evidence that he's making much of an impact yet, other than possibly on IF defense. 

Starting to bring back memories of the expansion Expos. "70 in 70" was their ambition after their first season. Though I was a kid I remember that fans were just excited to have a major league team for the first few years. And made folk heroes of Rusty Staub and Mack Jones. But after about five years that wore off and pressure to win became the main focus. 

It was their farm system that turned them into "the team of the eighties" as the cover of the Sporting News predicted. But that never produced a champion, though they had a great run foir about half a dozen years. Easily a playoff team under today's system. Almost every star on those teams was home grown. Carter, Dawson, Cromartie, Valentine, Parrish, Rogers, Raines and more. The organization knew that free agents rarely would sign there so they built a great scouting and developmental system. Even later they were one of the first to scout Latin America extensively. 

This story relates to the current Angels in some ways. Especially the need to rethink and revamp their longer term strategy. And get the right people in to build rather than patch up a leaky foundation. There are some useful young players that will be part of the rebuild, but the real need is to have a deep farm system with coaches who can accelerate progress. As well as have a head of baseball ops who can orchestrate a serious  systemic rebuild

And once and for all, have Arte stop meddling and setting and expecting to meet unrealistic goals. Preferably having new, smart owners but if not, just let him step back and stop being part of the equation. 

Owner Bronfman was always generous and pro actively supportive, but deferred to the baseball people. He did try personally to entice Reggie Jackson to sign as a free agent and nearly succeeded. But that was a rarity. Head of the scouting department was Jim Fanning. A really visionary, smart guy. Reluctantly he took over as manager when they fired Dick Williams and did guide them to their only playoff appearance in the strike season of 1981. But his experience was in scouting and he only managed a short time because of loyalty to the organization. As well the Expos produced a long line of front office people who had great success as GMs in other organizations. 

Sentimentally I always respected Bill Stoneman. Having watched him pitch two no hitters over his Expos playing career and in his rise through various front office positions. His experience with the expansion Expos probably helped inform his system building philosophy. His time with the Angels really consolidated his reputation. 

So will this season stimulate serious change if it continues to implode and embarrass? Rock bottom is getting close, and a low 70s win season may be that point. At this stage it will take a major reversal of form for them to get close to .500. 

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Why is it we can’t feel bad for someone simply because they’ve made millions?  Thats dumb. 

As for me, my comment had nothing to do with the $ reference in the post I was replying to. I just don't know why anyone would "feel bad" for Washington at all, unless the Angels openly misled him in terms of what moves they'd make in the off-season. Otherwise, it's on him for making the decision to take a gig running a team with huge issues. 

Edited by jsnpritchett

Just now, Stradling said:

Why is it we can’t feel bad for someone simply because they’ve made millions?  Thats dumb. 

Is he dying of cancer? Is he about to get evicted? Outside of that, why would I feel bad for a millionaire because his baseball team is losing games?

Just now, AngelFanInTheATL said:

Is he dying of cancer? Is he about to get evicted? Outside of that, why would I feel bad for a millionaire because his baseball team is losing games?

Because money has nothing to do with his situation. You bringing it up is pure jealousy and it’s fucking dumb. 

21 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Mike Trout needs a dead cat bounce season to trade him.

Even if that were to occur, the Angels would still have to eat a large portion of the contract and it would still be unlikely that they'd get anyone of real value in return. 

37 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Will they and who do u trade? Estevez not bringing back an everyday player. What I'm saying Angels do not have much to trade. Detmers and Ward will be only players to bring back anything decent. This team will not compete next year.

If he keeps it up, Anderson could be our best trade chip in July. 

Just now, DMVol said:

Just now, DMVol said:

Just now, DMVol said:

I'm unclear where you stand on this. One more time for clarity's sake, please. 

6 hours ago, AngelFanInTheATL said:

And he clearly knows the deal if you read between the lines. He was brought here to rebuild in the post Ohtani era.

I really cannot believe how Arte has squandered the last decade plus. Worst shape this franchise has ever been in. There’s a better than even chance we see 100+ losses and a last place finish behind the A’s. Unfortunately, there doesn’t appear to be any light for the foreseeable future either. I’d love to be wrong and we’re having a different discussion in the next few years. I just can’t see it.

8 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

As for me, my comment had nothing to do with the $ reference in the post I was replying to. I just don't know why anyone would "feel bad" for Washington at all, unless the Angels openly misled him in terms of what moves they'd make in the off-season. Otherwise, it's on him for making the decision to take a gig running a team with huge issues. 

Honestly his comments have made it seem like he already knows the deal with where this team is at so I'd say he signed on for exactly this. Maybe he took it as a challenge to help steer a moribund franchise back into eventual contention, or at least try to get there in the next few years.

9 hours ago, Stradling said:

I think it's easier to empathize with people who are going through things you yourself have gone through. I can't empathize with Ron Washington in this particular scenario because I've never been paid millions of dollars to manage a sports ball team. That's not because I'm "jealous", I just can't relate to that in any way. Why would I feel bad? 

Now if something legitimately bad happened, then obviously that's a different story. Money doesn't mean anything if you lose a family member, or get diagnosed with an incurable disease, or hell even struggle with mental health. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I think it's easier to empathize with people who are going through things you yourself have gone through. I can't empathize with Ron Washington in this particular scenario because I've never been paid millions of dollars to manage a sports ball team. That's not because I'm "jealous", I just can't relate to that in any way. Why would I feel bad? 

Now if something legitimately bad happened, then obviously that's a different story. Money doesn't mean anything if you lose a family member, or get diagnosed with an incurable disease, or hell even struggle with mental health. 

You don’t have to be paid millions of dollars to relate to him. The money is the money. But I’m sure you’ve had jobs where you weren’t set up for success. It sucks, regardless of if you make minimum wage or millions of dollars. 

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You don’t have to be paid millions of dollars to relate to him. The money is the money. But I’m sure you’ve had jobs where you weren’t set up for success. It sucks, regardless of if you make minimum wage or millions of dollars. 

I'm gonna say it sucks far more making minimum wage. If that happens, you could end up homeless or dead. I don't think Wash has to worry about being homeless.