• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stephenson done for the year

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Time to discontinue giving longer contracts to relievers?   Doesn’t seem to work out too well a lot of times.

At least it doesn't for the Angels.  It's still amazing to me that the bullpen is seemingly a problem every single year.  At some point, it seems like just sheer dumb luck would give them a good year overall, but, nope, not recently.

7 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

So they had to have known something was wrong for this to be in his contract

Was about to post this same thing. I can't think of too many players with injury options in their contracts.

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

It's still amazing to me that the bullpen is seemingly a problem every single year.  At some point, it seems like just sheer dumb luck would give them a good year overall, but, nope, not recently.

I think a big part of it is that the rotation has been a cluster for years now. It's hard to have a good bullpen when you constantly have to bring relievers in early in the game.

What percentage of free agent signings work out for the Angels? I can’t think of many.

[Good]: Raised Iglesias, Torii Hunter, Vladdy, Joe Smith

For some reason I can remember the bad ones though:

[Bad]: Gary Matthews, Josh Hamilton, Pujols, Cozart, Justin Upton, CJ Wilson, Rendon, Stephenson, Ryan Tepera, Loupe, Syndergaard, Matt Harvey, Luis Valbuena, Joe Blanton, Shaun Burnett, 

Tyler Anderson (TBD)

15/19 contracts ended up being bad contracts. Maybe it’s time we focus on building the farm system

I am in the camp that thinks that the Angels could've used that money for something else. Thought so from the beginning of this particular move. Stephenson had 3/4 of a very good year, but had been rather pedestrian throughout most of his career, otherwise. I just didn't get the hoopla over him. I mean, it would've been great if he wasn't injured and was occupying the spot of a Suarez, but really, the money used to acquire him could've had been used elsewhere.

Just now, Hufflepuff said:

What percentage of free agent signings work out for the Angels? I can’t think of many.

[Good]: Raised Iglesias, Torii Hunter, Vladdy, Joe Smith

For some reason I can remember the bad ones though:

[Bad]: Gary Matthews, Josh Hamilton, Pujols, Cozart, Justin Upton, CJ Wilson, Rendon, Stephenson, Ryan Tepera, Loupe, Syndergaard, Matt Harvey, Luis Valbuena, Joe Blanton, Shaun Burnett, 

Tyler Anderson (TBD)

15/19 contracts ended up being bad contracts. Maybe it’s time we focus on building the farm system

I would argue that the Iglesias deal didn't really work out for the Angels.  They salary-dumped him in the first year of the contract for Jesse Chavez and Tucker Davidson (yuck).  He's been fine for the Braves, though.