• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Interesting tidbit about Trout & solo HR

He might bat with the bases empty more often than other sluggers, since the Angels haven't always surrounded him with a solid core of hitters.

It does "feel like" Trout often chokes with runners on base, but that could just be confirmation bias. I'm not sure what the statistics say.

6 minutes ago, Taylor said:

He might bat with the bases empty more often than other sluggers, since the Angels haven't always surrounded him with a solid core of hitters.

It does "feel like" Trout often chokes with runners on base, but that could just be confirmation bias. I'm not sure what the statistics say.

In his career, Trout has a 173wRC+ with runners in scoring position. So pretty dang good.

7 minutes ago, Taylor said:

It's likely just a weird statistical fluke. He hits a HR every 16.5 plate appearances when the bases are empty, compared to every 19.5 with at least one runner on.  If you remove walks from the equation and just look at his at bats, he hits a HR every 14.2 AB when the bases are empty and every 15.3 AB when there's at least one runner on. 

So a small difference when we remove walks, but not huge. His overall slugging % is also very similar when the bases are empty and when they're occupied. 

I didn't post this to suggest he wasn't clutch, etc. I just thought it was a neat little factoid.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

I didn't post this to suggest he wasn't clutch, etc. I just thought it was a neat little factoid.

True, but he does have a bit of a reputation of not being clutch - at least some have claimed that on this board.  Again, definitely interesting.

17 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Don't know how to measure it across a large group of players, but the example given:

trout : 40.9% of his career PAs or 2685 total PAs with men on
soriano : 40.8% of his career PAs or 3431 total PAs with men on

12 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

David Ortiz is a guy that comes to mind who hit with the bases occupied a lot. At least I would think.

His PAs were split almost exactly 50/50 across his career of men on vs empty bases.

Henry Aaron had 47.7% of his PAs with bases occupied. 

Mantle: 46.6%

Ripken: 46.7%

Norm Cash: 47.1%

I picked a few random guys with more HR than Trout. His % of PAs with runners on does seem to be on the lower end, along with Soriano. To be fair, Soriano hit leadoff for almost half of his PAs, and Trout hit either 1st or 2nd for well over half of his-- so that accounts for a large part of this anomaly. 

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

To be fair, Soriano hit leadoff for almost half of his PAs, and Trout hit either 1st or 2nd for well over half of his-- so that accounts for a large part of this anomaly. 

Yep. Plus the Angels 7-9 hitters over Trout's career as an Angel haven't been really good in terms of on-base guys. 

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

Career

image.png

For his career, he's hit better with men on base be it RISP or just in general than with the bases empty.

2 hours ago, T.G. said:

True, but he does have a bit of a reputation of not being clutch - at least some have claimed that on this board.  Again, definitely interesting.

Thats because Angel fans are morons.  They think a guy thats always awesome has to be even more awesome when they want him to be.

Remember how Howie Kendrick was supposedly the worst hitter in MLB? 

22 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

He's also spent a lot of time batting 2nd, which reduces his chances - if only by a bit.

I'm reminded of one year that Bonds had 45ish HR and only 90ish RBI. I think Rob Deer had 32-64, one year.

Trout has a lot of seasons that feel like that…

• 2015, 159 games = 41 HR, 90 RBI
  • 2017, 114 games = 33 HR, 72 RBI (would’ve looked better over a full season though)
  • 2018, 140 games = 39 HR, 79 RBI (the craziest to me)
  • 2022, 119 games = 40 HR, 80 RBI

Even last year’s 18 HR, 44 RBI was a little wild. So frustrating to think what might have been without injuries and the COVID-shortened year.

Goes to show that for opposing teams, it’s not a huge loss to risk allowing a solo shot to a guy like Trout or Ohtani here and there rather than letting them consistently start rallies, and the lack of lineup support. Almost easier to just groove a fastball and give up a run and go after the others. I think that was a big part of Weaver’s approach on mound his last couple of seasons…risk allowing 2-3 solo HRs every game (at most) and hope the offense picks up more than that.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Yep. Plus the Angels 7-9 hitters over Trout's career as an Angel haven't been really good in terms of on-base guys. 

Exactly.   Hard to pin  this on Trout.  Not sure why anyone even made it an issue 

Trout has hit 1st or 2nd for majority of his career, and we already know how the bottom of the order has usually been during his time with the Angels. Not a surprise that the name he's in conversation with is Alfonso Soriano, who hit leadoff for a good chunk of his career. Interesting tidbit as the thread implies, nothing more than that

1 minute ago, Swordsman78 said:

Your OP hypotheses got destroyed.  Do better.  

Seriously, what in the world are you talking about?  I didn't post any "hypotheses" in the original post, AND I was the person who pointed out that Trout has hit leadoff/2nd for the vast majority of his plate appearances, which is what leads to this fluky statistical trivia tidbit.